U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM

72 posts, read 146,351 times

Advertisements

Not including weekends.

Sometimes there are three showing a day. In the past 3 months, he has shown the apartment at least 50 times.

I'm trying to be reasonable but I sleep during the day so it is significantly impacting my life. Do I have any leg to stand on if I attempt to draw a line?

FWIW, I have been given 24 hours notice for every showing, and the landlord seems to be a nice and reasonable person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM

819 posts, read 2,836,971 times
Advise him that you need a day or two during the week to yourself. You are allowed to advise when it is not a good time. If he seems so nice, why have you not just simply advised him of your schedule and that you need your rest during the day?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,266,888 times
is your lease up and you plan to move? if so and there are that many showings, inform the LL that showings will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3 PM to 5 PM. (Or words to that effect.)
Everyday is not reasonable..everyday...seriously? The LL must have found at least one person who fits the bill to rent the place.
Set some limits with the LL becasue it is disrupting your life way too much.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:56 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
Unfortunately, the law in most states DOES allow the LL entry to show the apartment during reasonable hours. The LL is also giving 24 hours notice each time, possibly more than required depending on the state. As long as the showings really are showings, OP has no legal recourse.

Everyday is MORE than reasonable. And advising OP to attempt to tell the LL when they can show the apartment is tantamount to advising OP to fail to comply with the lease and the legally presented 24 hour notice. Not a great plan as that could lead to eviction if the LL is annoyed enough.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 AM

25,877 posts, read 39,135,773 times
It sounds like the LL is really working with you but if there are really 50 showings and this is not exaggerated than there must be something wrong with the apartment or the rental price....

Talk to LL and ask for less days for showings and to combine them...its serves both sides to keep the relationship good.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
When is your lease up? Why did the LL start showing it 3 months ago? And why isn't anyone taking it? Something seems odd.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
When is your lease up? Why did the LL start showing it 3 months ago? And why isn't anyone taking it? Something seems odd.
I agree it seems odd, which is why I put in my original post that it is legal as long as the LL is really showing it. But odd unfortunately may not be illegal.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:34 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,847,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
I'm trying to be reasonable but I sleep during the day so it is significantly impacting my life. Do I have any leg to stand on if I attempt to draw a line?
Since landlrod tenat laws are state specific, without knowing your state, its hard to say what you have to stand on. Also have to know whny the landlord is showing. Soem have restrictions while others may not so the reason is just as important.

I think although most states require you cooperate with landlords for legitimate showings, they are not so landlord one sided that you have no rights. Many of them do provide relief if it gets out of hand.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Since landlrod tenat laws are state specific, without knowing your state, its hard to say what you have to stand on. Also have to know whny the landlord is showing. Soem have restrictions while others may not so the reason is just as important.

I think although most states require you cooperate with landlords for legitimate showings, they are not so landlord one sided that you have no rights. Many of them do provide relief if it gets out of hand.
I agree with you. However OP is saying that not only is LL coming in only during the week, but is issuing a 24 hour notice each time. While I understand OP's frustration, the LL is likely doing more than required, or at least is complying with what is required.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,847,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I agree with you. However OP is saying that not only is LL coming in only during the week, but is issuing a 24 hour notice each time. While I understand OP's frustration, the LL is likely doing more than required, or at least is complying with what is required.
that is true, but if you read many state law, you see in the part explaing the landlord tenant law or even the higher section relating to contracts or real estate, whatever its under, that tenats have a certain right to quiet enjoyment and ven if the landlord is excercing their rights under the law, it can not be to the extent of harrasment, nuscience or trampling on that quiet enjoyment. Thats why when you see theese cases in court or a hearing, they want to see the total times a entry request was made to see if it crossed the line. There was someone who posted about a case likemthis where they were showing several times a week and the judge finally said stop its illegal even though the landlrd gave proper legal notice. It was just too many to the point the tenant no longer had proper exclusive use (quiet enjoyment) of the unit. I know here the judges won;t accept a case until they see the tenant has attempted to deal with this with the landlrord and the landlord was no longer acting reasonably by insisting on the showings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or