Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 02:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,461 times

Advertisements

hi, i wonder if anyone can help. We rented a house whilst we were on assignment in CT , my husbands employer arranged the rental and paid the security deposit/rent although the lease was in our names. We left the property 3 months ago and I have just been informed by the relocation company that the landlord has not returned the security deposit despite numerous attempts to contact him (including him refusing to accept a certified letter). No letter was sent to him regarding a forwarding address for the return of the deposit when we left as it was not to come to us instead the relocation company emailed him details of where to return the deposit to and I believe he acknowledged this email at the time.

We have not had any contact from him regarding any issues with the property either, he does have our email address and in fact emailed me about an unrelated matter several days after we left the property and in the email made no mention of any issues with our move out.

My question is, are we covered as the relocation company wrote via email and not letter. What do we do if he now will not sign for any certified mail?

Also the house is now up to rent again and his realtor is fully aware of this situation and in fact has refused to provide us with any contact details for the landlord (luckily I found them myself). Is there anything we can do to stop the next potential tenant getting caught out here and is there any come back on the realtor for acting in such an unprofessional way?

Any tips would be so much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I'm not sure what your question is? Why is this your problem? The relocation company informed you just in case perhaps the landlord had sent you the deposit instead of them. Since he didn't- it's their problem.

Relocation companies are huge national /international firms. They have legal departments. This is not the first time this has happened to them. Let their legal department deal with it. The state of CT has very specific laws regarding security deposits. When they get tired of having their lower echelon clerks deal with it, then they'll kick it upstairs to someone who will get results.

Not sure what you're worried about, do you think the landlord is withholding based upon something you did to the place? Then just save all emails. I don't see how this could come back to harm you.

As for trying to inform future tenants, again, not your problem. The relocation company works with certain real estate agents. If they don't like the way the agent does things, then the agent will lose the account and the landlord will loose future tenants from the relocation company.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I am moving this to the Rental forum where it can get more responses. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
If the relocation service paid the deposit, they are the ones who have the right to persue the deposit. You have no recourse if you did not pay anything. It sounds like your mad and want to inflict damage on the LL for not responding to you. Drop it.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,053 times
Hello, I was wondering if I could get your help, I was suppose to move to Cliffside park, nj, however,due to some complications I am not able to move yet, so I was asking the potential landlord that I was gonna have to return my rent security back to me, since I never set a foot in the apartment, and I don't no if I am gonna be able to get that apartment, and I am gonna need that month's security when the time come to move Mod Cut

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-23-2012 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Personal Information

Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Denia, you might be out of luck. It sounds like the landlord took the apartment off the market to hold it for you. In the meantime, he would have been turning away all the other tenants who wanted to rent. You have cost him a lot of money and the deposit you gave him to hold the apartment for you was intended to cover his expenses if you backed out.

In future, please don't reserve an apartment and ask the landlord to take it off the market and hold it for you unless you are 100% certain that you will be moving in.

Also, please, never post your name, phone number and address on teh internet. You risk attracting the attention of all sorts of creeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting