Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM

40 posts, read 306,098 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My apartment management changed to Archstone in the middle of my lease last year and the lease renewal terms have rent increase of 20%. My last year lease with the previous management had a base monthly rent of X amount during the lease term and a month-to-month clause that stated a month-to-month rent amount of X+300 after the end of the lease.

However, the new management has the lease renewal offer with the base rent that is greater than the old lease month-to-month rent (X+300), and a new month-to-month rent far greater than the new base rent.

Would the old-lease's month-to-month terms still apply (as it is the lowest amount, lower than both the new base rent and the new month-to-month rent), or do I have to either renew the lease or pay the new month-to-month rent?

Does the old lease get completely overridden with the new lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 04:17 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblack View Post
Hi,

My apartment management changed to Archstone in the middle of my lease last year and the lease renewal terms have rent increase of 20%. My last year lease with the previous management had a base monthly rent of X amount during the lease term and a month-to-month clause that stated a month-to-month rent amount of X+300 after the end of the lease.

However, the new management has the lease renewal offer with the base rent that is greater than the old lease month-to-month rent (X+300), and a new month-to-month rent far greater than the new base rent.

Would the old-lease's month-to-month terms still apply (as it is the lowest amount, lower than both the new base rent and the new month-to-month rent), or do I have to either renew the lease or pay the new month-to-month rent?

The new lease replaces the old one. A month-to-month agreement can be terminated by either party with appropriate notice.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:27 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblack View Post
...the lease renewal terms have rent increase of 20%.
That is a VERY large bump.
Quote:
the previous management had a base monthly rent of X
and a month-to-month... of X+300 after the end of the lease.
Another rather large bump (Are you certain of the math?).

Quote:
...the new management has the lease renewal offer with the base rent that is
greater than the old lease month-to-month rent (X+300),
and a new month-to-month rent far greater than the new base rent.
Unless the original rent amount was super low (set 20 years ago with no increases since?)...
I'd say it's time to look for a new home.

Quote:
Would the old-lease's month-to-month terms still apply...
Until you BOTH sign a new lease you're BOTH bound by the prior agreement.
Which also brings up the issue of whether that high M2M rent bump terms are legal there.
I'd investigate what the law there allows for.

Quote:
Yes. This is why so many PM's like new leases rather than "roll overs".
The new lease probably has twenty other detail changes in it you haven't noticed.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:28 PM

40 posts, read 306,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Unless the original rent amount was super low (set 20 years ago with no increases since?)...

Which also brings up the issue of whether that high M2M rent bump terms are legal there.

The new lease probably has twenty other detail changes in it you haven't noticed.

Yes the math is correct. The original rent was a little lower than X and was increased to X by the previous management over a period of around 1 year.

When the management changed to archstone, I did not sign any new lease (as Archstone lease is available online and can be viewed there from my apartment complex account). I assumed that the old lease carried on and archstone continued collecting rent based on the old lease. Does that mean old lease terms of old month to month rent amount of X+300 still apply?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:40 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

If the agreement is month to month, the landlord and the tenant are "bound" to the agreement for a month. Either party can terminate the arrangement - the tenant can't stay indefinitely at the "old rate" - the landlord can terminate the lease or change the terms with notice - apparently the landlord is giving that notice right now.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
The only exception to this would be in you are in an area with any sort of rent control program. If you are, which you do not indicate, you may be able to fight the increase. If you aren't, the LL gave you notice of the increase.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
You can continue to pay X + 300 since that is the lease that is in effect now.

You can refuse to sign the new lease. Good chance the landlord gives you a 30 day notice to move.

Maybe you can try to negotiate the rent in the new lease to maybe a 10% increase. It's worth a shot. if they say No then you can decide whether you want to sign new lease or not. If not, likely you will get a 30 day notice or whatever the number of days required for notice in your state.

You can start looking at places to move now and give notice as well. I bet many in your complex have been doing this to avoid the large increase.

You might find out rents have increased elsewhere quite a bit as well. You might check before you refuse to sign the lease because maybe the 20% increase is a decent rate.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Most likely if you don't sign the new lease they are going to give you your 30 day notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting