Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 AM

203 posts, read 237,780 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience using Sure Deposit. I like the idea of not having $500+ cash tied up for years vs paying a $80 one time fee for $500 coverage. Figured that the apartment is gonna get there money due anyways via the security deposit sitting there or billing out costs incurred to surety bond. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 04:36 PM

499 posts, read 1,305,806 times
I've never done it, but it seems like it's only worth it for those who just can't afford paying the security deposit. If you invest that $500 very wisely, maybe you'll make back your fee.
Remember you still have to pay for damages (or skip town )

Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,681 times
As a landlord I would not accept a bond. 1) I want your $500 in my account, it makes me think you care at least that much about taking care of the place. 2) A surety will nickle and dime me to death over any claim, and fight me on a level you more than likely would not, or could not.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 28,811 times
Default SureDeposit is not Insurance

SureDeposit is not "coverage" or insurance. If you buy the bond for $87.50 you don't get $500 in coverage it means that they can come after you up to $500 on your credit report. If you put up the $250 security deposit you can get all of that back, but worst case be out $250.

As a Landlord, if the damages are close to $250 we typically only keep the deposit and not send you to collections. If we had a bond, we would go after the $500 amount and a bond collection on your credit report is typically worse than an apartment community collection for the same amount.

Anyone who uses SureDeposit is not telling you the whole story. Bonds are serious business and as I understand it could prevent you from purchasing a new car or buying certain types of insurance without paying the bond company 1st.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 25,704 times
My grandson paid $137.50 for a $750.00 bond in lieu of paying a security deposit. When he moved out, the apartment complex charged him for mini blinds (his cat had bent slats on very cheap blinds), last water bill, a pet penalty of $200.00 and $622.00 to replace the carpet (there was a slight fray in front of the bedroom door and two small quarter-size burns in dining area from cooking). The total move-out was over $1,000. He is willing to pay the $750.00, but does not think he should pay the charge for the carpet as he believes it was not necessary to replace it; however he has no pictures or confirmation other than during the walk-through, the manager said he would have to get back to him on charges for the carpet.

A week after sending the Move-Out Statement and charges, the manager turned the claim over to the surety company and they have been harassing my grandson for the total amount of the move-out charges.

The point is, the apartment complex can charge you for anything they choose, then turn you over to the Surety Bond Company and they harass you until you pay. I told my grandson how to get them to stop harassing him by phone, but my question is: Once he pays the $750 that the bonding company is responsible for, will they go away or will they continue to try to collect the entire amount of $1,022.00? I'd rather pay them the $750 and have them go away, and dispute the additional charge with the apartment complex and the credit reporting companies.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallaleo 2 View Post
Once he pays the $750 that the bonding company is responsible for, will they go away or will they continue to try to collect the entire amount of $1,022.00? I'd rather pay them the $750 and have them go away, and dispute the additional charge with the apartment complex and the credit reporting companies.
There was another thread very recently on the subject and you may find this link which I posted there to be helpful:

Beware of alternative to security deposit - Chicago Tribune

Your grandson has no remedy to deal with the management at the apartment complex but must deal with the bonding company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting