Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 11,021 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation, and I'm in New York State, if that helps anyone. I realize that this is a long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Since March, my dishwasher hasn't been working. I've put in seven requests since March to have this fixed, and maintenance just won't come up. The building it under new ownership now (the old ownership was AWESOME), and this new ownership laid off four of the five maintenance men. It's been four months, and now the standing water has gotten disgusting, and it smells. Bad.
  • Also since around the same time, the bathroom faucet was leaking. It wasn't a big deal at first, because it's not really a big deal. In the last month and a half or so, the water is coming out at pretty good pace, where I don't even have to touch the faucet to wash my hands... yeah. This, in turn, makes the shower extremely hot.
  • My air conditioner hasn't worked for over a month, and as many of you know, it's pretty hot out. I'm on the top floor too (5th), so it's extra hot.
As I said, I've put in seven requests, and when I met with the landlord AGAIN two weeks ago, she told me that the new ownership sends the one remaining maintenance guy all over the place (to their four buildings), and that it's tough for him to get to everywhere. This isn't my fault. Sorry.

It's been two weeks since we met, so yesterday morning, I dropped off a letter into the drop box of the rental office for her, again, REQUESTING THEY COME UP AND FIX ALL OF THIS.

She called me today and said, to paraphrase, "my hands are tied. The most that I can do is call them with the work request. If they don't come to fix anything, then they don't come to fix anything."

I asked how this was fair, and I really didn't get an answer. I asked, "So, if no one comes up to fix any of this, where do I go from here?"

"There's nothing you can do."

From there, she told me that the new ownership has informed her to not give out any contact information to them, so I can't get a hold of them. I've done my research online to try and get contact information, but I can't come up with anything.

She then rudely told me that now she'll have to call the owner, and he'll "have to come out on his own time now tonight (if she can get him), when it's not his responsibility." Err... what? (It's now 7:22 pm, we spoke at noon, and no one has arrived. Surely, no one is coming)

Surely, there has to be something that I can do. Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,675,254 times
Are these requests in writing? It all comes down to documentation.

They do have an obligation to maintain and repair.
The process is the reverse of what they would do if YOU were the deficient party:
"cure or quit" (ask nicely with a time limit) then action through courts.

Get a LOCAL tenant advocacy group to advise on specifics.
Bring a copy of your lease when you meet them.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 PM

They do have the repairs in writing. I have copies as well, that I've kept. (I also have voicemails saved)

I'll look into the 'Local Tenant Advocacy Group.'

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM

333 posts, read 808,735 times
Definitely look into your tenant's rights. If you want to do a really bold move, hire someone to fix the problem, pay for the repair yourself, and take the cost out of your next rent payment. Let them know you've hired a lawyer if they try to evict you on the grounds of withholding rent for this.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM

841 posts, read 1,914,317 times
I think you can with-hold rent after a certain period of time. Check with a lawyer. It will not cost you a lot.

I realize that these are just things but you pay for these items to be in working order. The ac is a serious situation. We had one broken and it took three weeks for a new one. They were not going to replace it but when the repair man was fixing something in my bathroom, I mentioned if they want their rent, they will replace the ac. It's been brutally hot in NY.

It's not YOUR fault they laid off people. I am sure they want their rent so they need to do something.

We've been renting here about a year. We had several issues, mostly minor. One time the repair man came (grudgingly) because I had a problem with an appliance and my electric cutting off. He basically spent the time complaining to me about his boss (who cares?) and how she should not send him on stupid calls like mine.

His suggestion was don't use such and such appliance. Seriously. Between that and his attitude, I hated calling. He got his way (we avoided complaining).

Now after the last problem (they needed access to the people below and I was waiting for over 2 weeks for the plaster to be fixed in my place) he never comes any more. They have 2 other guys. Whether he left or not I have no idea.

The point is, you pay--you need to be able to live with your amenities.

We still have several problems that need more than the patch jobs they usually do but I will just let them slide. I don't like to be a bother over minor things.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 AM

Heh, last night, someone told me to tell them that if they don't fix any of it, then I'll call Code Enforcement and the Health Department, so I did.

This morning, they came up and fixed the faucet, and will be back later today to install a new dishwasher and air conditioner.

Another win for the good guys.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 AM

841 posts, read 1,914,317 times
Good.
You are a customer. They need to make their customers happy.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:20 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,932,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt87 View Post
Heh, last night, someone told me to tell them that if they don't fix any of it, then I'll call Code Enforcement and the Health Department, so I did.

This morning, they came up and fixed the faucet, and will be back later today to install a new dishwasher and air conditioner.

Another win for the good guys.

Excellent!. Don't ever withhold rent unless you know, for a fact, your state allows it. I don't care what your landlord does or doesn't do...always pay your rent!!

The best way to get slumlords to straighten up is to get your local Code Enforcement or City's Building Dept involved. If you're not sure who to call, call the city office and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting