U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,796 times
Default Moving out after 12 years - Normal Wear and Tear issues

I need some clarifications as to what is appropriate wear and tear after 12 years and exactly WHAT I am obligated to! Part of the issue is that I rented a house from my kids Godparents - like family. I have 4 children - in a 4 bedroom 2 bath house. I have one child that was a bit destructive....(my gray hairs have his name on them).... After 12 years I am moving out and getting married. So here's where things have gotten a bit stressful. During the 12 years I paid $850/mo in rent - with the exception when I had roommates (with approval) and paid $1300/mo. I definitely got a great deal on the rent. I also made improvements in the home - removed tile in entryway - removed linoleum in kitchen and laundry room - removed carpet in livingroom/greatroom - and put in 18" tile throughout those areas. It's a 2k sq ft home - so other than the bedrooms and bathrooms - everything was upgraded to tile. I also upgraded the countertop from Formica to a sprayed on coating from Miracle Method that make them look GREAT! I replaced the garbage disposal and the kitchen faucet. The Landlord did not have to make any repairs to the house itself in 12 years - anytime anything happened, I fixed it. The only thing they had to do was replace the side fence - which was split with the neighbor. Now that I'm moving out - I've repainted the 3 bedrooms that I had painted - back to neutral - I also painted the Master Bedroom and bathroom that had never been painted. I painted all the doors, trim, and baseboards, repaired drywall, replaced blinds, cleaned everything - replaced a ceiling fan (my son damaged) - and feel that I've left it in much better condition than most would after 12 years. They had put faux wood blinds in most windows with the exception of a door and bathroom window that had cheap aluminum blinds. The aluminum blinds fell apart after about 5 years. They told me I had to replace those as well. I replaced the faux wood ones that had any broken slats, of course. They had put plastic doorstops behind the doors that broke after about 8 years. Two of the doors handles had hit the drywall and made holes - after the drywall guy had already been there. The toilet paper holder became loose in the drywall and had to be moved. I was in the process of changing the Master Bath to brushed nickel from brass and had the fixtures brushed nickel, but hadn't changed the faucets. I was told to get them back to brass - brass isn't very easy to find anymore - So, even tho the fixtures were there, I had to go get other fixtures. They are holding me responsible for EVERYTHING!! What is considered NORMAL wear and tear after 12 years???? I feel I've gone over and beyond what a tenant would do after 12 years of living in a residence - but it's being thrown at me that with a lower than normal rent, I should feel obligated to do everything! I've gone broke moving out! Please clarify this for me.... THANKS!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 03:51 AM

15,483 posts, read 13,426,961 times
First mistake was paying your own money to make upgrades to a property that you are RENTING.

If I had a house I was renting and my tenant was in there swapping out faucets and doorknobs without my knowledge or consent, I'd be pissed too.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:59 AM

5,155 posts, read 5,070,258 times
Qhat do you mean they are charging you with everything? Please list the charges.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 AM

17,195 posts, read 21,839,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratkidsmom View Post
I need some clarifications as to what is appropriate wear and tear after 12 years.
with the exception when I had roommates I have 4 children - in a 4 bedroom 2 bath house.
I have one child that was a bit destructive....
Wear and tear is what happens over time... short of specific damage to things
Quote:
I also made improvements in the home - removed tile in entryway - removed linoleum in kitchen and laundry room - removed carpet in livingroom/greatroom - and put in 18" tile throughout those areas. It's a 2k sq ft home - so other than the bedrooms and bathrooms - everything was upgraded to tile.
Was this done with the LL's knowledge and consent IN ADVANCE?
I just can't imagine doing this degree of work on a tenants dime....
Quote:
The Landlord did not have to make any repairs to the house itself in 12 years -
anytime anything happened, I fixed it.
WHY? I just can't imagine doing this degree of work on a tenants dime....
without some other reasons floating around...
Quote:
Now that I'm moving out - I've...
They told me I had to...
I feel I've gone over and beyond what a tenant would do...
You have. But again... WHY?

This is all about communication (or the lack of)...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM

6,823 posts, read 9,522,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Qhat do you mean they are charging you with everything? Please list the charges.
I am curious, too, what exactly are you being charged for and how much? About your comment regarding doorstops failing after 8 years and now the walls are damaged.....that would annoy me as a LL. You can buy new doorstops at the Dollar Store for $1 a pair and certainly you coulda/shoulda done that. Next time you change out fixtures, keep the old ones and if you don't want to take your new ones with you, at least offer to the LL to restore the property.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 AM

5,367 posts, read 10,235,040 times
I agree, we can't give you an intelligent answer without knowing what things they are charging you for.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM

17,195 posts, read 21,839,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Next time you change out fixtures, keep the old ones...
NO! Tenants don't change out fixtures. EVER.
If they're broken... then this becomes the LL's responsibility.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:36 PM

13,782 posts, read 25,160,968 times
Part of the problem is the definition of upgrade is in the eyes of the beholder.

Nothing gets me ticked off like finding the fixtures and trim I selected and installed removed and worse... missing.

Just went through a little of this with a otherwise good tenant...

They changed the door handles on my restored 1920 home to cheap brass ones because they wanted to be able to lock the doors... the 1920 door handles lock and all they had to do is ask for the skeleton keys...

Anyway, their upgrade looks bad, they modified the doors and lost the original hardware... several years ago, I spent a lot of time tracking down matching door hardware so the new bath I added would match the rest of the house.

Nice people... unfortunately, they still don't understand why k-mart made in china door hardware and drilling my doors isn't an upgrade from the solid brass 90 year hardware I furnished.

I also deal with commercial leases... every lease states the tenant must return the property to the condition at the time of of lease commencement, at the landlord's option... sometimes this means taking down walls, removing floor coverings, etc...

You took a risk making changes if they were not approved and now the time has come to be accountable.

Wear and Tear is really very simple... things do wear out... If you lived in my home for 12 years and the carpets were shot and the paint I put on needed to be redone... it would be 100% on me...

If you painted the walls a color or used a non-compatible paint... the cost to prep would be on you...

Not sure I could rent a home with no paint on the walls... was this house new for the master to have never been painted?

Blinds are also an issue... I use blinds with lifetime warranties... so, if the cords or ladders break from age and exposure... I get them replaced at no cost.

Blinds with the slats missing or bent are damaged... tossing my lifetime warranty blinds in the trash means I no longer have a warranty...

Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM

12,136 posts, read 11,325,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
NO! Tenants don't change out fixtures. EVER.
If they're broken... then this becomes the LL's responsibility.

why, I did.

I rented an apartment and the LL had the cheapest ugliest light fixtures ever. I bought all new track lights (which were the rage in the 90's). I saved the LL's fixtures in the closet, when I moved, I put them all back.

no problems.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:40 PM

4,591 posts, read 5,707,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
why, I did.

I rented an apartment and the LL had the cheapest ugliest light fixtures ever. I bought all new track lights (which were the rage in the 90's). I saved the LL's fixtures in the closet, when I moved, I put them all back.

no problems.

I did the same thing with the toilet seats and shower heads in my bathrooms. It's a not a big deal...I'll put their cheap fixtures back when I leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting