Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 60,627 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved to WA state from HI with my boyfriend in Feb. He is employed in the U.S. Military, therefore gets a steady housing allowance on top of regular pay that covers the rent. When we moved into this apt, we indicated that we were "together" rather than simply roommates, and that his income was what was to be considered ( I do not have an income currently.) The agreement between my boyfriend and I was that I was going to use a few months to decide whether I wanted to stay in WA to continue education or move somewhere else - both of which my boyfriend is ok with and encouraging of .... either way, he is paying the full rent until the lease is up ( .... he's an incredible man lol )

anyway, I have been accepted to a school in Portland, OR, an over and a half away, and am now looking to rent a house with a handful of friends also moving to Portland. We are currently filling out rental apps, and I'm not sure what I should list on the "Current Residence" section of the app... My previous residence was my family home in HI state, current residence is here in WA but I don't want it to seem as if I am just bailing on a lease. It asks whether I have given legal notice to leave - is this a requirement? The landlord understood what the situation was when we moved in, the lease is being covered and no type of subletting is necessary to cover my absence or anything.

Please advise!

Thanks
D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 06:28 PM

105 posts, read 199,792 times
Take a deep breath and relax- you're overthinking the situation.

1. Always be completely honest as to where you're living. If the landlord catches any omissions (ie the apartment in WA), you're going to be in heap of trouble later.

2. As for the legal notice to leave- they just want to know if you've been evicted. (Another way to check your honesty since if you have been, it'll show up on your credit report.)

3. New landlord won't care about the whole situation in WA. They're just interested about your credit report, the honesty of your application, and whether you've got money to pay the lease. Deals about moving out early aren't what they're looking for in this situation.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:05 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
First of all you're not "technically on another lease". You are on another lease. period. But this is not uncommon and starletta8 is correct; just fill out the application with the truth and explain briefly with a separate note if not enough room, your situation. The operative word here is briefly. They will call your current LL and verify and that will be the end of it. I, as a property manager, would want to make sure that you were not obligated for the rent so firstly, inform your current LL that you will be leaving and ask if you could be released from the lease, and have a letter of reference from them. Then make a few copies and include with your applications.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 AM

2 posts, read 60,627 times
Thanks for the replies - sorry if I sounded like a spaz. I figured it wasn't really a big deal, however I thought that requesting to be released from a lease would look worse than just simply letting my boyfriend handle it?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:28 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1985 View Post
...I'm not sure what I should list on the "Current Residence" section of the app...
Start with whatever the address (and issue date) your drivers license (photo ID) says.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1985 View Post
Thanks for the replies - sorry if I sounded like a spaz. I figured it wasn't really a big deal, however I thought that requesting to be released from a lease would look worse than just simply letting my boyfriend handle it?

No, being released from a contract is not like an eviction or something. We do it when a situation arises and 1 tenant has to leave, but the others do not mind that one no longer being held responsible for rent, cleaning, etc. If you had had any money in the picture that would be addressed also such as "Security deposit shall be returned to Tenant 1, as per mutual agreement". We just had something like this occur when 1 roommate got a job out of the country and the other could easily absorb the rent. They worked out the deposit issue, gave us a statement in writing, and we prepared an Addendum to cover it along with releasing the one tenant from the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting