Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,665 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, looking for some advice and I'd appreciate any words of wisdom.

I "moved" into the house a day prior to the written lease stated, though the written lease was not signed yet and has not been signed and a deposit was not paid. My stuff had been stored for a little while before moving in as the landlord agreed. Upon arriving, I inspected the premises and saw that it had not been cleaned (looked like it was when I dropped my stuff off) and several smoke alarms had batteries removed and were beeping. Upon realizing I didn't want to stay here I immediately moved all of my stuff out and notified the proxy landlord who than notified the landlord. Question now is, if I am sued, am I legally responsible for anything if a lease wasn't signed, deposit wasn't paid, the property wasn't safe nor sanitary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Maybe they were going to clean later that day and put batteries in the smoke detectors. You might have arrived a day early while landlord was still preparing the place.

Since you didn't sign anything or give any money, I doubt you can be held legally. Did you sign anything at all?

It's pretty unethical what you did if landlord held the place for you and stored your items. I dont understand why you bailed over the smoke alarm batteries. And the cleaning. Especially since you snuck in 1 day too soon. You should have called the landlord to discuss the batteries and the cleaning. Not bail.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,665 times
Landlord was already out of town. Further, when I talked with the LL later to explain my reasons, he was adamant that the house was clean indicating to me that LL didn't intend to have it cleaned at a later date. While I do feel bad because the LL did me favors in letting me store my stuff there, I didn't feel it overshadowed with the sanitary conditions being very poor and essentially not move even later when the move in date arrived. To give some deals, the walls/doors had a variety of smudges and stuff as well as oil/dust in some areas. Best way to clean it would've been to paint over it. Bathrooms were again dusty and not wiped down. Moldy shower curtain was left. Toilet was discolored or stained in many areas. Carpet looked like it had been vacuumed but not very thoroughly.

I did not sign anything or give any money. At this point, I'm most worried about being held to a month-month rental basis or a verbal contract of some sort.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
You physically moved in your possessions so legally took up residence, whether a lease was signed or not. You didn't exercise due diligence in inspecting the place before doing so, therefore yes, if the LL chooses to seek at least one month's rent from you he's perfectly entitled legally to do so.

Last edited by STT Resident; 08-05-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by narwhalsandbacon View Post
Hello everyone, looking for some advice and I'd appreciate any words of wisdom.

I "moved" into the house a day prior to the written lease stated, though the written lease was not signed yet and has not been signed and a deposit was not paid. My stuff had been stored for a little while before moving in as the landlord agreed. Upon arriving, I inspected the premises and saw that it had not been cleaned (looked like it was when I dropped my stuff off) and several smoke alarms had batteries removed and were beeping. Upon realizing I didn't want to stay here I immediately moved all of my stuff out and notified the proxy landlord who than notified the landlord. Question now is, if I am sued, am I legally responsible for anything if a lease wasn't signed, deposit wasn't paid, the property wasn't safe nor sanitary?
You are probably liable for one months rent.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
How long was your stuff stored there? You could be sued for storage fees of some sort. And, I do agree with other posters... you can likely be sued for one months rent.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Pay the LL one months rent. You used the place and gave no notice. By your own admission you used the place and gave no notive. Just bailed. Save yourself some moeney. The LL could sue under verbal agreement laws and it would cost you alot more than one months rent. Pay the LL and next time look and do your due diligence to save yourself alot of time and trouble.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
The landlord is lucky you agreed to move out. Lots of people who move in without paying rent/deposit beforehand never pay and live for free for months before getting evicted. The LL was an idiot to even let you move in without paying.

I doubt he will sue you. What is he going to show the judge as proof?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
What is he going to show the judge as proof?
This thread would be a good start ...

Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 AM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This thread would be a good start ...
Good luck to him finding it...and proving "narwhalsandbacon" is his tenant! Your Honor, I'd like to present narwhalsandbacon as my evidence....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting