Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,765 times

Advertisements

This is my first post so bare with me. I was living in a two bedroom apartment with a room mate. I ended up moving out after six months because the room mate was extremely dirty. The landlord told me I could move into a 1 bed room and I would only have to pay a security deposit (no pet deposit) because the carpets were over 7 years old. After 6 months I moved out into a house. A month later I recieve a letter saying I owe 797$ for carpet replacement because of pet stains. What should I do? Even if the carpets were new is it my fault that they told me they were old and didnt charge a pet deposit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
The landlord may be able to charge you for the depreciated cost to replace a carpet due to reasons other than normal wear and tear. Pet stains are not normal wear and tear and are ususally classified as damages under the law and by the courts. The fact thet the LL did not chage a pet deposit wasn't an authorization to damage the carpet.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 PM

203 posts, read 126,451 times
If the carpet was seven years old to begin with, what makes the LL think you are responsible for the stains? I don't think the LL has a case here, and it's probably too late for him to withhold the rental deposit you initially gave him. I wouldn't rush to pay it. I'd call a lawyer who deals with this for advice. A lawyer won't charge you for a first phone call.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
It doesn't matter if the carpet is 7 days old or 7 years old, YOUR pet damaged the carpet. You are liable for any damages caused by you, your pet or your guests. Shrinkage and traffic patterns are wear and tear, dog **** is not.

Did you respond to their letter?

Also check your state's landlord/tenants laws...you might get a break there, but you did allow your pet to use their carpet as a toilet and there's NO excuse for that.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
What happened to the Deposit? Were there deductions or did you get it all back?

I generally will not let someone with a pet move in if the carpet is new or the hardwood is new or newly finished.

I have a tenant right now that moved into a small house with 6 year old carpet... I generally replace my carpets somewhere between year 7 and 10 when there is a turn-over... so, it most likely won't be an issue if the tenant is there for a couple of years.

Six months is a very short time and I would have a problem if the carpet was good enough to rent and 6 months later was soiled to the point it had to be replaced.

Most likely nothing to prevent the Landlord from sending out a bill... whether you pay or not is another point if it was not deducted from your deposit... one that only a Judge can decide if it were to go that far.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:42 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,050 times
It can all depend on how your state statutes read. What state are you in? If you take about 20 minutes and do a websearch you can find the laws relating to landlord tenant issues and how your state defines carpet repalacement.

Usually from I have seen if you damaged the carpets beyond normal wear and tear, i.e. dog stains, then yes you will probaly be on the hook for new carpets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting