Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 PM

51 posts, read 77,012 times

Advertisements

I've found a seasonal rental (through an on-line rental site). The photos, location and price are just what I had hoped for. I have owned my own home since 1987 and have no experience renting.
I've communicated with the woman who owns the condo regarding dates, number of occupants, pets, etc and she has emailed me a rental application.
Is it standard practice to give a landlord my social security number? How about my driver's license number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:07 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
When you say "seasonal rental" do you mean a vacation rental of a few weeks? If you're not signing a lease on a normal "long term" rental situation, there is no one I know that runs credit on those individuals. We just require full payment in advance and there's no refunds, just like you book a hotel room with a guaranteed late check in - you pay for that day whether you're there or not. Most vacation rentals require full payment up front so there is no way for the owner or realtor who is managing, to lose money.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:07 PM

The rental is for 3 months - Jan, Feb, March.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
If rental payment and security is required in advance... It would be unusual to require a social security... at least where I am.

Most credit checks require multiple sources to cross reference... Name and Social Security is generally essential and they like to have a driver's license and several past addresses.

We run credit checks for all residential rentals...

Old 08-18-2012, 04:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
Personally I would never give my SSN to a private individual for any reason. There is no reasonable idea of confidentiality. For legitimate companies that run your credit, they have to go through a very stringent process in order to do so and I do not know one private individual who has the ability to run an applicant's credit.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:33 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Personally I would never give my SSN to a private individual for any reason. There is no reasonable idea of confidentiality. For legitimate companies that run your credit, they have to go through a very stringent process in order to do so and I do not know one private individual who has the ability to run an applicant's credit.
That would be a deal breaker if you wanted to rent from me. I use SSNs as a check to see that the person is who they say they are. Furthermore in the event that I have to evict someone down the road, Vermont requires that the landlord verify that the tenant is not in the military. The only way I am aware of to get that information is using the SSN. Without it you may not be able to even file an eviction lawsuit.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
We did a 2 month vacation rental last winter. Had to fill out a standard rental application and even sign a standard lease of 2 months. Paid a security deposit and first month's rent prior to moving in and then paid the 2nd month at the beginning of that month just like a regular rental.

Two years ago did a similar rental - no formal application, no lease, no security deposit. IIRC, there was a pretty straightforward contract where we agreed to be responsible for any damage, no smoking, no pets, etc. Paid first month's rent when we made reservation and second month's rent when we moved in.

There's all sorts of ways these types of vacation rentals are handled.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
If you are doing a 3 month seasonal rental, it's probably in-season in FL or similar snowbird area. Often the rent price for 3 months is equivalent to 7 months rent if it was an unfurnished annual rental where you paid utilities. But it is likely furnished and all utilities are included.

In other words, 3 months rent is quite a pretty penny. You probably are not paying the entire amt up front.

It is common and typical for landlords to ask for SSN and DL# on rental applications. they do credit checks and must have that info. You are staying in their expensive home and they need to make sure you have not gone into a different home before and refused to leave and had to be evicted. Or make sure that you pay your bills in general.

I was a private landlord and I got this info from my renters on the rental application. I used it to run credit checks. I filed the info correctly and shredded personal info. Would never consider doing something bad with this info. It's all about making sure the renter is going to pay and does not have a bad history. IMO, it is a sign that the landlord is a professional landlord that follows standard procedures. You'll likely have a clean rental unit, etc.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:06 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
We always ask for a SSN because there is no other way to run a background check without it. We also ask for a copy of a license so we can identify if the person is who they say they are to limit ID theft.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Wow ... such varied ways of approaching a rental. I'm glad to get replies from both landlords and renters.
The woman who owns the condo and I have now communicated several times; she's sent me pictures of the property inside and out through email; we've talked on the phone and Facebook 'friended' each other so we now have a good idea about our educational and professional backgrounds, families, homes, etc. She is comfortable renting to me and I'm equally comfortable renting from her. After talking for a while she said she didn't need my SS# but I did sent my driver's license code. She requires a $1000 deposit which will be refunded, minus the cleaning fee, at the end of the rental period.
I'm happy - she's happy - and we have a verbal agreement. Paperwork will be exchanged soon and I won't be shoveling snow for 3 months this winter!!
Thank you to all for your thoughtful replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting