Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times

Advertisements

so the owners store their junk there, and the 11 nurses also store their stuff there too? Are the nurses still there? How much do they pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
so the owners store their junk there, and the 11 nurses also store their stuff there too? Are the nurses still there? How much do they pay?
I doubt this arrangement is legal. Especially since you can't even pick your nose in Nassau county, NY without the inspectors from the town coming.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:17 PM

Lets forget the increase for a moment.
Why would you and your husband want to subject your child and your newborn to unsafe living conditions? If there truly is mold all over, your kids will be breathing that. Do you really want a newborn baby breathing in mold spores?
Ask your husband which is more important, a parking space, or his children's lungs.
For the sake of your childrens health, move out.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 PM

11 posts, read 26,475 times
Quote:
no more nurses here anymore. we are the last who live here. they were paying $500 each before. when they left thats the time the landlord increase our rent for $1000. when my husband finished his contract in the LL's facility she increase our rent to $1700. and yes, all their junks are here in the house.

you're right i wont let my kids get sick because of the molds. we are looking for houses to buy now.but i know it will take long. were still waiting for preapproval. and the problem is the waiting period... what will i do to avoid that $1700 fee while we are waiting for our own house?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 PM

Snowprincess.. you really should move out. I'm sure you can find another place thats healthier for everyone and in your price range or less.
You could demand that the LL fix the property, but you said that one of the walls was leaking water and that the carpet is always wet. Do you honestly think she's going to fix that wall and replace those carpets right away? Thats going to be a major expense for the LL. She's had 3 years that you've been there to repair the house and she hasn't done it yet. She's had longer than that to remove the smelly, dusty papers that she has stored there. Your kids are breathing all that crap. Seriously, move.

Is there a reason why you want to stay there so bad?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Franklin Square does seem to be a high-priced area where rents are concerned but surely there are places not too far outside where rents are less expensive? The situation you're living in is totally ridiculous as well as unhealthy and you should start casting your sights a little further afield to find something more suitable. Your husband may have to commute a little further but if you find something close to mass transit that shouldn't pose either a huge problem or too much of an increase in expenses.

No, you can't avoid paying the rent increase. You've been given proper notice so you either pay it or move - since you're looking to buy a house you need to keep your credit record squeaky clean. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 AM

858 posts, read 1,806,268 times
I would move. I'm pretty sure, according to your descriptions, that if a building inspector showed up in the house the place would be condemned or at least the LL fined. I know you want to save for the new house, but you should not put your family's health in danger to save a few hundreds a month.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM

11 posts, read 26,475 times
Quote:
Snowprincess.. you really should move out. I'm sure you can find another place thats healthier for everyone and in your price range or less.
You could demand that the LL fix the property, but you said that one of the walls was leaking water and that the carpet is always wet. Do you honestly think she's going to fix that wall and replace those carpets right away? Thats going to be a major expense for the LL. She's had 3 years that you've been there to repair the house and she hasn't done it yet. She's had longer than that to remove the smelly, dusty papers that she has stored there. Your kids are breathing all that crap. Seriously, move.

Is there a reason why you want to stay there so bad?
we stay here because of the low rent. since they want it higher now, we decided to look for a house.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowprincess17 View Post
we stay here because of the low rent. since they want it higher now, we decided to look for a house.
You obviously don't want any help from anyone. Everyone has told you to move, yet you keep hammering about low rent. Low rent verses your children's health? Seems pretty clear to me. You said you decided to look for a house, but it will take a long time. If it will take a THAT long, then forget about owning a house for now and move to a safer environment for your kids. Period.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
You can only lead a horse to water ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting