Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times

Advertisements

Good job. Copies of it all judge's like convenience. Use the harassing texts, if any are threats they are criminal...take to DA. ...Glad you included Remax...I'd go for all your moving costs, pain and suffering too. Good listening to your Dad. Post some updates, or start a new thread so we know you're doing well. Great thread. Lots of good advice by posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 AM

12 posts, read 25,439 times
Hello Advice giving friends,

Well today was the day, I faced my landlord in small claims court this morning. I focused on the text messages and the agreement that we had in those text messages. I have never done anything like this before, but I came prepared and that's what saved me I think. My landlord showed up with a completely new story, about how I never gave him notice of leaving at all and he never agreed to anything and continually waved the lease around saying She signed it She signed it! The judge had to tell him to stop interrupting her a good 5 times. He brought pictures of "damage" that I had done, even though tenants were literally moving in as I was moving the last boxes out. He got caught in a lot of lies, and fumbled with his stories which changed throughout his testimony. What seemed to bother the judge the most, was a text he wrote to me that stated "Do not text me again." She seemed pretty out raged by that, that a landlord would say that to their tenant. I found that interesting. She was outraged by his insults via text message as well, which at first he denied, than stated that the insults were out of anger because I was insensitive to his "special son." (Yes the same 30 year old "special son" who stole my bike and accused me of kidnapping his cat) For the most part, honestly I kept my mouth shut. I presented the text messages and answered any questions that the judge asked me and let him dig himself into hole after hole after hole. I think I did alright for a first timer.

He claimed that I owed him for cleaning and painting, but the pictures he had were taken from his cellphone and were blown up and literally looked like gray blurs of nothing. There were no dates which she called him out on, and honestly you couldn't even tell if they were from an apartment or the inside of a car, they seemed useless and I'm not too worried about it. I don't care if I win or lose I am just glad it's over, I saw him lose his mind and fumble over words and get caught in lies and honestly that is enough for me. If I get the security deposit back it's certainly a bonus. But I'm still here, I can buy food and pay my rent on time so it's not the end of the world if I don't win the money.

One big mistake of mine however, I did not get proof that I missed a days work, which I completely didn't even think of which is stupid of me, but I will probably not receive payment for missing a days work, which is alright. Make sure if you're ever in this position you get all the proof you need, over estimate everything.

This has been quite the ordeal. I guess I'm writing this to you all now just to remind you that you should never let anyone take advantage of you. Yes, my first mistake was moving there in the first place, but no one deserves to be treated like garbage just because someone thinks they can, or be intimidated by scum. Stand up for yourselves! I'll let you know the outcome when it comes in the mail.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner,

Came home from work today to a lovely letter from small claims, ruling in favor of me! My landlord now owes me 715.00 dollars, looks like crime does not pay.

Keep on Keepin' on.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Yeah!! Hopefully you get it in time for the holidays!! Good job sticking up for yourself!!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:53 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocCity View Post
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner,

Came home from work today to a lovely letter from small claims, ruling in favor of me! My landlord now owes me 715.00 dollars, looks like crime does not pay.

Keep on Keepin' on.
Congrats!!! Now hopefully he will just pay up. Talk to small claims about the process after that if he doesn't pay. In my case, I would've had to file an income execution with the County to garnish wages. I'd start by sending the slumlord a CRR letter with a copy of the judgment and indicate a payment date.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,655 times
Congrats!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM

With only a couple days to spare, I received a check in the mail from my landlord for 700.00. Although this is less than what he owes me I might just let it go. (He owes me my court fees, which were 15 dollars) I can't see a point in fighting longer for 15 dollars, but my dad says I technically don't have to lift the judgement because he didn't pay me the whole amount. I haven't contacted the courts yet, It could have been an honest mistake or one last F*** you to me but I think I'd rather just be done with it.

My address on the envelope he sent was hand written, so some how he got my address, which kind of freaks me out because now he knows where I live, which is only a short walk from his property that I lived in. I don't know why this worries me, I just thought he wouldn't be able to find my address just like that.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,765 times
having been through this process myself just be glad its over, 15 bucks is nothing to get agitated about.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM

So, oddly enough I receieved a second check from my landlord for 15.00. So now he's all free and clear, but does anyone know how I go about clearing his name? I've been searching online, but no one says anything about what to do once they have paid.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,918 times
What do you mean clear his name? It's done, the court case will be forever on the books whether he paid you or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting