Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 AM

159 posts, read 339,093 times

Advertisements

5 years ago, I moved into a property managed high-rise apartment in virginia. I took over a lease from a roommate (it was a shared 2 bed/2 bath apt) who moved out, and it was month to month for a while. At one point, me and the roommate who stayed re-signed the lease to prevent a rent increase.

The apartment was at least 2 or 3 years old when i moved in. My roommate signed 3 years before me. If I decide to move out, and she decides she wants to move out, our lease would be terminated after existing for over 7 or 8 years.

My concern is that because the place is so "old" there has been a good amount of wear and tear, possibly "damage" to the place. I know there are significant stains on the living room floor that haven't been cleaned, because we were in a dispute with management about getting the carpets replaced. They want us to re-sign the lease to get it replaced, even though they agreed in writing 2 years ago that they would do it, but because we never made an appointment, they don't want to do it unless we resign the lease. In addition to the carpet, there are other things that may be considered damage (I'm not sure we haven't had it assessed).

If the carpets need replacing anyway, but we both move out before they get replaced, would we be responsible for the carpet? The apartment has not been turnover in such a long time...my concern is that I would be responsible (or half responsible) for ALL the wear that has occurred since before I even moved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
My concern is that because the place is so "old" there has been a good amount of wear and tear, possibly "damage" to the place. ... If the carpets need replacing anyway, but we both move out before they get replaced, would we be responsible for the carpet?
Wear and tear is on them. Actual damages are on you.
You should NOT be held responsible for 8 year old carpets.

TALK to the property manager. Be specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting