Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I think I would follow state law as far as returning the deposit. i am on the fence as to what is proper to do and what will CYA. I would consider telling the friend that you must follow state law and send certified mail/deposit check to the rental address since they refused to give forwarding address. Seems you want to give the deposit to the friend because it's what they requested, but it doesnt follow the law and will you be deemed as breaking the rules? I am not sure what I would do in your case. It's a tough call.
I've seen this kind of thing happen many times and as long as it's documented it's perfectly legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,634,179 times
The security deposit was returned via the neighbor yesterday with the time limits. He signed for the papers.

As far as the remote, they did not lose it, they held it back for whatever reason. I have requested it be returned to the neighbor. We'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone. I just haven't had a tenant leave like this under these circumstances. I appreciate the help.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
The security deposit was returned via the neighbor yesterday with the time limits. He signed for the papers.

As far as the remote, they did not lose it, they held it back for whatever reason. I have requested it be returned to the neighbor. We'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone. I just haven't had a tenant leave like this under these circumstances. I appreciate the help.
Sensible move! Sweating the remote isn't a big deal as you already said that research indicated that you may have to replace both anyway.

You may not realize it but you were incredibly lucky to have tenants who for eight years took care of your place, caused you no headaches and caused no damage. You can only hope that your next tenants will be so responsible as just reading through this forum should be a BIG education! Good luck!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 PM

487 posts, read 1,355,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't sweat the small stuff.
You have possession, it's not beat up... move on.
this is true
but dont prorate the last month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting