Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Why spend time waiting to be put out?

No one could keep me in a rental when it comes to my health... The most the Landlord could do is come after you for monetary damages... no eviction involved if you vacate.

The bottom line is no one is going to care more about your health than you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
OP....read this about black mold. 10 Health Risks of Toxic Mold - The Mold Blog Top Ten States w/ Worst Risk for Mold http://www.servicemagic.com/article....old.14164.html
I am trying to input some real advice and encourage folks to educate themselves and reduce their risks, not have a personal debate about whether mold can be a danger to a person's health....Factually it can. I have provided multiple links just as a starting point. I am not basing my input on personal opinions, and I am certainly not siding w/ an irresponsible LL even though I too am a LL....OP Don't take someone else's opinions as fact, read the links and do your own research. I wish you all the best. I hope you'll post updates.

Last edited by JanND; 09-17-2012 at 05:37 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Statistically on a nationwide basis, what percentage of household mold from that tested is discovered to be "toxic"? Of course I'm not denying it's a reality but do think the whole subject gets rather overblown at times and results in people over reacting at the sight of a little patch of "common mold" and rushing off to not only prepare lawsuits but spending money on expensive "mold kits". Not looking to create any furor, just curious!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,475 times
The mold situation is interesting. Was it there when you moved in? If not, then what caused it? If I was a landlord whose tenant called me about mold then I'd be inquiring as to what conditions the tenants created in order to facilitate the growth of that mold.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Statistically on a nationwide basis, what percentage of household mold from that tested is discovered to be "toxic"? Of course I'm not denying it's a reality but do think the whole subject gets rather overblown at times and results in people over reacting at the sight of a little patch of "common mold" and rushing off to not only prepare lawsuits but spending money on expensive "mold kits". Not looking to create any furor, just curious!
Interesting question. Maybe google it and let us know if you find something..I did find this article w/ some stats and information.http://www.coem.com/programstreatmen...Toxicity.shtml
It only got repeated because I was made to defend my post....Otherwise I wouldn't have repeated it. And this will be my last post w/ links to the issue
I get the sense the OP is aware of mold dangers and issues, it just seems funny that the LL wants her out now that she has attempted to hold him accountable for his neglect of the leaking roof, where the mold was discovered.
And another case of a Court house w/ mold and litigation for the employees http://articles.latimes.com/2000/aug/06/news/mn-65522

Last edited by JanND; 09-17-2012 at 09:30 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
Right. There is no "standard for an acceptable amount of mold."
Mold is not regulated by the city, nor code enforcement/ fair housing. (It is a struggle between tenant/landlord/lawyer)
Why? Because it is an allergy and does not cause sudden death and there is no test to determine the concentration of the mycotoxins from the breathing mold spores in your body.
You can, however, have a mold test done by an allergist to determine the type of mold you are allergic too, and compare it to the results of he mold test lab data. And???!! Move out. You are so lucky he his letting you out of the lease!
He has to list a reason on the paper that he hands you and doesn't for liability reasons want to list mold, becaus e he technically tried to remediate the mold problem. However, this should not show on your credit report, they would physically have to file a judgment against you for that.
I am SEVERELY allergic to mold. Extremely, may I add. Yes, mold is everywhere that's why if you are particularly an allergy type 1 hypersensitivity sufferer you should not live in humid, wet conditions, like near the beach, nor in hot, wet and humid, like Austin, Texas, for instance, or Houstan. Before moving in anywhere make sure they are aware of your hypersensitivity to mold spores and read up on ALL apartment ratings. (I.e. apartment ratings.com)

My husbands parents' home has black mold infestation and I was hospitalized for pancreatitis as a result. Also, was put on corticosteroids and asthma inhaler, though I do not technically have asthma.

I was also released out of a lease because of blue-green mold exposure (aspergillus/penicillin). This was probably more respitory and fatigue, overall illness that antibiotics cannot cure, shortness of breath, it is not asthma so the inhaler does nothing. It is an immune system response called degranulation and causes immune response in the smooth muscles (I.e. respitory tract and The iris of the eye)
I won't go on about symptoms, just wanted to respond to the original post and say you are lucky he is letting you go! Be well& get out!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM

8 posts, read 22,139 times
Read your post and I could totally relate. We all got asthma when they put a new heater in. I had someone from the city come and say, where there is water, there is mold.
I am in no position to comment, I can just relate...so sorry.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle030 View Post

Well my guess is the tree branch estimate was too high, and the mold issue hed rather not fix bc we received a notice to quit in our mail box on the 14th. Dated the 11th. Siting unpaid rent as a reason he is terminatig our lease. (He cahsed the check on the 13th.)

Hang on! I think you're fine here. You need to call your landlord, or email him just to verify you're all hunky dory.

He mailed you a pay or quit notice on the 11th.

He got your check and cashed it on the 13th.

Like ships passing in the night. Your check got to him on time after his notice was sent.

Problem solved....as far as having to move in my opinion.

If he says you still have to move and the check he cashed can't be used for rent because of the verbage in his notice, tell him a court isn't likely to find it reasonable to tell me I can't pay after the 11th, when I didn't receive the notice until the 14th.

But, I have a feeling everything is okay. Send a short and sweet email saying you received the notice to pay or quit on the 14th, and as he had already cashed the check on the 13th, you are assuming your tenancy is not terminated, and will he please verify this by responding in writing.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
^^^ a year-old thread.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Right you are! I wonder what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting