Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Chica,
Give her all of her money back and let her move out.
Why are you keeping all of her security deposit?
I thought you said she was your friend for years?
You have people who are interested in renting it, right?
Then you won't be out any money anyway.
What has she damaged? You want to keep her money?
Give her all the money back, keep her as a friend, do right
by her, what if the shoe was on the other foot?
What if you had moved into her house?
What if you had allergies? You could smell the cat ****?
Give her the money and rent it to someone who doesn't mind
smelling cat **** in the carpets.
I am not sure who's post you read, but there is no smell of cat urine, there were just spots. It was professionally cleaned and no complaints of smell. So i am not sure what you were reading. In addition to being a friend or not, if someone breaks a lease after living there for a month, why would you give back the security deposit? They broke the lease??? I am being a friend by agreeing to give her a pro rated amt, which I dont have to do. Perhaps in S.C. thats how you do things, but I am not following you in the least. Thanks for you 2 cents. She can move out, I cant restrict her from doing so, but if she does I will not agree to complying to giving her all her deposit. I am required to keep the home safe, clean and free of pest, and keeping all appliances in working order. That I have upkept. I will sell this house, even though the economy is picking up slightly. I am tired of being landlord with or without the property mgmt. But I still dont know where you got the idea the house smelled like ****, perhaps you multi tasking when you read. She loves the house but not the carpet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 07:16 PM

305 posts, read 553,497 times
Yank the carpet, put in a hard surface. Carpet is so 1990s.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthevergeofanervous View Post
Yank the carpet, put in a hard surface. Carpet is so 1990s.
What hard surface would you recommend that is inexpensive??

Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM

35 posts, read 336,199 times
I would say treat it as your business (which it is), regardless of whether or not she is your "friend."

If she was really your "friend," she would know SHE is wrong changing what you agreed upon. She should feel bad, not you. (Not that there should be anyone feeling 'bad' in business, but you know.)

Stand your ground if you are right. 100%.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plscuba View Post
I would say treat it as your business (which it is), regardless of whether or not she is your "friend."

If she was really your "friend," she would know SHE is wrong changing what you agreed upon. She should feel bad, not you. (Not that there should be anyone feeling 'bad' in business, but you know.)

Stand your ground if you are right. 100%.
I agree with you 100%. IF I am not able to work this out with her, then I will encourage her to move. I am looking into replacing carpet or getting laminate and getting the cabinets, she can still pay for that. But if we don't come to resolve on this, than yes I will keep my business hat on. I was just very shocked when she thought she could tell me she is considering moving and finds it unacceptable to not receive her deposit. that is what the deposit is for to give you some recourse when a tenant breaks a lease. She is a great person, but I think there are internal situations financially she didnt expect and renting the home is more than renting a one bedroom. Bottom line it will work out. Will keep ya posted

Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
The concern I have is that you have no independent nuetral professional on your side as it appears (if I read correctly) that everyone you used is friend or family. That can present a problem if the tenant (also a friend) uses a breakup of the friendship to be made into some side taking bias.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:39 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I've had renters that were unrelenting in wanting something changed...

I found it much easier to agree with the stipulation that rent will be adjusted accordingly.

Most of the time, never heard another word... one time the tenant was so thankful, she wrote a check on the spot for the increase and asked how soon would the new carpet be installed.

It's human nature to want things... the scenario changes when wants have costs.

On a side note... only you can know the value of the friendship...

I have one home rented to a distant family member... we get along great and everything, with one exception, has been business as usual... they are almost always late with the rent... always paid... just late.

Because it is family and I knew this going in... my stance is as long as the rent is paid... I have chosen not to make issue of it...

Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
You are FOOLISH to keep utilities in your name. She is going to be mad about the unreturned security deposit and leave the utility bills unpaid. You are keeping them in your name over a $50(or so) turn off/on fee? You are going to be out a lot more than the cutoff fee if you keep them in your name while she is still there and raving about the carpet.

Here are some tips

1) never rent to friends or family, or friends of family, or family of friends. Unless you are ok with the relationship being ruined forever and you being blamed as the mean landlord.

2) NEVER EVER leave utilities in your name. You cut them off the day before the new tenant moves in. If they cannot afford utilities, it's between them and the ulitily company. No reason for the discussion to be between you and the tenant. It's not you problem and don't make it your problem. Ever.

3) If cats urine is in carpet, you often need to replace it (at least the soiled areas). The urine smell will usually stay unless you come up with a way to get that smell out with special cleaners made for urine. I tried this on a rental and the smell remained no matter what and replacing carpet was the only solution. You cannot think carpet is clean visually if the carpet smells like a dirty litter box.

If your tenant isn't complaining of urine smells in the carpet, maybe there is none? Do you know if any?

4) Dont take calls from a forever complaining tenant (like you have). You tell them your rule and no longer disuss these things. Let it go to VM or text or email. Dont reply if it is just a rehash of prior discussions. You can ignore the whiners. They need to be ignored.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've had renters that were unrelenting in wanting something changed...

I found it much easier to agree with the stipulation that rent will be adjusted accordingly.

Most of the time, never heard another word... one time the tenant was so thankful, she wrote a check on the spot for the increase and asked how soon would the new carpet be installed.

It's human nature to want things... the scenario changes when wants have costs.

On a side note... only you can know the value of the friendship...

I have one home rented to a distant family member... we get along great and everything, with one exception, has been business as usual... they are almost always late with the rent... always paid... just late.

Because it is family and I knew this going in... my stance is as long as the rent is paid... I have chosen not to make issue of it...
Great advice

Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You are FOOLISH to keep utilities in your name. She is going to be mad about the unreturned security deposit and leave the utility bills unpaid. You are keeping them in your name over a $50(or so) turn off/on fee? You are going to be out a lot more than the cutoff fee if you keep them in your name while she is still there and raving about the carpet.

Here are some tips

1) never rent to friends or family, or friends of family, or family of friends. Unless you are ok with the relationship being ruined forever and you being blamed as the mean landlord.

2) NEVER EVER leave utilities in your name. You cut them off the day before the new tenant moves in. If they cannot afford utilities, it's between them and the ulitily company. No reason for the discussion to be between you and the tenant. It's not you problem and don't make it your problem. Ever.

3) If cats urine is in carpet, you often need to replace it (at least the soiled areas). The urine smell will usually stay unless you come up with a way to get that smell out with special cleaners made for urine. I tried this on a rental and the smell remained no matter what and replacing carpet was the only solution. You cannot think carpet is clean visually if the carpet smells like a dirty litter box.

If your tenant isn't complaining of urine smells in the carpet, maybe there is none? Do you know if any?

4) Dont take calls from a forever complaining tenant (like you have). You tell them your rule and no longer disuss these things. Let it go to VM or text or email. Dont reply if it is just a rehash of prior discussions. You can ignore the whiners. They need to be ignored.
great advice. And no the turn on fee was not $40-$50 it is $400. I am not worried. It will work itself out. In the agreement it states she has until December to put it in her name, by that time shcagne should have the money for the transition. I think the best bet is to just change the carpet, I let her know that isnt a priority for me now, with that said she has the option to break the lease but knows the reprecussions in doing so. I truly want to sell the house and she wants to buy it, but she cant get a loan from the bank. She has acknowledged that I have done more than the average landlord, most would do as you suggested ignored the call, or let it go to vm. You are correct, i could have said that you cant move in without utilities in your name, most places do no allow that. But I gave her a deadline which is in writing. Either way for resale or to keep her there I will replace the carpet. But not anytime soon, researching phase. T Oh no complaints of urine smell there isnt any. She just complains there are some areas that have spots. It is not as bad as she states. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting