U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-02-2012, 03:12 AM

3,473 posts, read 3,741,530 times
Default 30 day notice

My landlord taped a notice to our door yesterday morning, to vacate the property within 30 days. His reason, he plans to sell the house and wants it empty for showing. This is his house and he has the right to sell it, but we are not prepared to move in 30 days. First of all we don't have the finances to move, we would need first, last and damage for the new place and we can't find anything available in the area. To make things worse, my husband is working out of state and isn't due to be home until 10/29 for one week. His week home, works out for moving on the first, but I have to pack an entire 5 br house and a overstuffed garage in my "free time" haha, when is that? with work, school and kids?
Landlords are so lovely, I asked him if he could give us 60 days, so I had time to pack and look for a new place. not to mention have the money to move with. He said NO! He wants us out on HALLOWEEN, what a jerk!!! I have kids, I wasn't planning on moving that day. My landlord said the market is prime, he is going to have a cleaning crew, carpet cleaners and painters in here on Thursaday and Friday, 11/1 & 11/2, then he plans on having an open house on Saturday 11/3.
Thanks for sharing your joyous plans with me Mr. Landlord, don't take into consideration what pressure you are putting on me, I can't sleep and feel like I'm going to be ill, whatever. I'll rent a storage unit in the morning and start bringing things over everyday, we'll have to rent a motel if nothing else, that will eat up our money too, this should be fun, NOT!..
OK, I'm done venting.

Last edited by asitshouldbe; 10-02-2012 at 03:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-02-2012, 03:42 AM

1,240 posts, read 1,487,971 times
Do you have a lease?
I think your LL needs to be reminded of MN LL/Tenant laws

http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Minnesota/hb3.html

Unread 10-02-2012, 03:48 AM

Month to month, we've been here two years , the landlord only does month to month. He could have mentioned over the summer that he was thinking of selling the house soon, that would have been a great time to get the garage packed, this is MN and not unheard of to start snowing before the end of October, that adds a little more stress.

Unread 10-02-2012, 04:02 AM

1,240 posts, read 1,487,971 times
I hear ya .. I live in Mn also .. I worked for several years as a PM in the "kato area.. so yeh I do understand.. altho this 30 day notice is crappy you are pretty well stuck since you are a month to month tenant. get storage lined up and then start looking hard . will the LL give you a good refernance ? and tell the future LL why you only have a 30 day time period?..

I am very suprised that the LL wants to do this at the onset of winter tho.. the market isnt gonna be THAT easy in dead of winter .. you should ask him if he can get the house on the market and show it with you in there as a tenant

Unread 10-02-2012, 04:15 AM

11,886 posts, read 6,276,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
I hear ya .. I live in Mn also .. I worked for several years as a PM in the "kato area.. so yeh I do understand.. altho this 30 day notice is crappy you are pretty well stuck since you are a month to month tenant. get storage lined up and then start looking hard . will the LL give you a good refernance ? and tell the future LL why you only have a 30 day time period?..

I am very suprised that the LL wants to do this at the onset of winter tho.. the market isnt gonna be THAT easy in dead of winter .. you should ask him if he can get the house on the market and show it with you in there as a tenant

I think the landlord has made it pretty clear they want the home empty before showing and the decision to sell may have only been made recently. Even though it is not the renter's property and it is not their decision what happens with it a 60 day notice would have been nice but it is not required.

Original poster: Time to get the husband home from out of state and get lots of help from friends and family. Good luck with it all.

Unread 10-02-2012, 04:17 AM

I asked him, I practically begged him, but he still said NO. I brought up that he might not find someone who wants to buy in the winter, but he is sure the market is PRIME! There is no reasoning with him, not that it matters but he is a bullheaded man who only likes to deal with men, he only started talking to me in the past few months, his culture doesn't deal with women on a business level. All we heard when we moved in was, a mans word is a mans word, he wanted to do everything verbally, until I said NO. Thats not how things are done here, we need things in writing. Anyway, that doesn't matter, he is very difficult to deal with.

Unread 10-02-2012, 07:22 AM

4,663 posts, read 3,517,809 times
I am very sorry you have to go through this. Please take a moment for yourself and tell yourself that it will soon be behind you and YOU CAN DO THIS. Just be glad you weren't told that you have a serious health issue. Instead, you were told you have to move in 30 days. Moving is temporary and solvable, though a major, major hassle to do it so fast and unexpected.

The newspapers and such usually have a lot more rental classifieds on weekends- especially Sunday. See if you can get a copy of last Sunday's paper.

You are correct, a hotel is an option if you cannot find a new place soon enough.

It's amazing how fast you can box things if you are in a rush.

Also realize you can hire movers and they have an option where they pack for you. They can do some of the packing if you aren't done with all of it. they can pack pretty fast.

the key is to have a lot of boxes on hand and several roles of heavy duty packing tape with one of those heavy duty tape holers. And thick magic markers for marking boxes.

Unread 10-02-2012, 07:56 AM

18,992 posts, read 19,754,840 times
One more thing. It's easy when dealing with the stress of such a sudden move to be so grateful to find a new place that you overlook the terms of your new lease. In order to avoid the same thing happening again make sure that the notice required to either extend a term lease or notice required on a month to month agreement is more than 30 days. Good luck.

Unread 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM

35 posts, read 56,168 times
I'm surprised taping it to the door counts as sufficient notice...

Unread 10-02-2012, 08:35 AM

18,992 posts, read 19,754,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plscuba View Post
I'm surprised taping it to the door counts as sufficient notice...
If the tenant didn't receive the notice then there would be legal grounds to challenge it and the method of delivery would come into play - but the OP did receive and respond to it so it's a moot point. No method of delivery is illegal per se but return receipt certified mail is encouraged because it provides legal documentation if that becomes necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting