Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,662,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahRah32 View Post
Yes, I've decided it IS worth it. I'll keep replying to the complaints and leave it alone. I'm not doing anything wrong, and I will not punish my children by moving them out of a beautiful environment because some people have nothing else better to do with their time
Unless the complaints come with fines, ignore them. Are the letters from the BOD or just some person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
Quote:
I have talked to many different people in different positions, and basically have come to the conclusion that they cannot kick me out for these rediculous complaints. My children are not vandalising anything, are not stealing anything, are not hanging on the corners selling drugs. Therefore, they cannot make me move. If I have to ignore their nonsense, then so be it.
Depending upon the condo docs, they very well may have the ability to have you evicted and be awarded legal fees that both you and your landlord will be responsible for. But what will prolly happen is that the association will not approve a new lease for you. Much less expensive for the association and if you don't move, a much easier eviction.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:25 AM

9,318 posts, read 16,654,623 times
I would asked who specifically is making the complaint and go speak with them. Worth a shot. Could be some old cumudgeon that has nothing better to do, but might work to your advantage. Also would ask for copies of the POS where these infractions are stated as rules/regs.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:59 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
I apologize, I'm new to this and don't know how to respond to you all personally. Kim, thank you! You understand my issue right now! The thing is, like I said about the skateboard, they have only taken it out twice in the 8 months we have lived here. There is no sign stating kids cannot skateboard, nor are they riding it in the middle of the parking lot. They stay on the sidewalks. And I am outside with them, so I do know that they are following MY rules. As Kim said, if people are riding their bikes around, etc, then what is wrong with my children riding a skateboard. Anways, my children don't even really go outside much, that is the funniest part about all this. There are only a few kids in the neighborhood and they are much younger, so they get bored easily and come back in within 30 mins. I have been taking them to the park and basketball up the street and letting them spend hours at a time there to not bother anyone here. Since we've moved in, I have been doing nothing but constantly telling them to be quiet. They do not wrestle in my home, they do not jump around. That is my rule anyways, but more so now. I work in a Dr.'s office and am well aware of how senior citizens are. When they are at the pool, they do not jump or dive. They do wrestle and try to drown each other, but if I am there and am controlling the situation, what is the problem??? The thing is, I don't want to move! And I shouldn't have to. The location for me is perfect, the apartment is perfect, and there are not many places in this area that are rentals. I got lucky with this one, and no old bittie is gonna run me out because they think they are better. I pay my rent every month on time, I go to work 9 hours out of the day, my kids go to school, we come home, eat dinner, do homework, and go to sleep just to do it again the next day. I don't talk to anyone there, I stay to myself, I don't go and gossip with the old ladies. Maybe whoever said I should go make some cookies is right! Anyhow, I value all your opinions, so thank you. I have talked to many different people in different positions, and basically have come to the conclusion that they cannot kick me out for these rediculous complaints. My children are not vandalising anything, are not stealing anything, are not hanging on the corners selling drugs. Therefore, they cannot make me move. If I have to ignore their nonsense, then so be it.
You're welcome

I live in S Florida part of the year so I deal with snowbirds quite a bit. They come down here and they think they rule the place. It's annoying, but it's something we all deal with. I too work in the medical field and we see a lot of snowbirds. Some of these ppl just nothing better to do than ***** and complain about everyone and everything. And let's not get started on their inability to drive!!

Have you spoken to your landlord yet? You really need to get him involved in this so he can stand up and say something to the board on your behalf.

Don't ignore them, just don't let them get to you..keep documentation of each complaint and again, get your landlord involoved.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
I doubt if the landlord wants to get in the middle of conflicts between a tenant and the condo association.

If the complaints were coming from just one individual the condo board should take that into account, and maybe ask around with other neighbours to verify the complaints. That is what the board at my condo complex used to do.

Usually when there is a written complaint, they quote the by-law or rule being violated, rahrah 32 did they do this?

If I were you rahrah32 I would call the condo board president and ask them if you could discuss this issue with them. You can tell them your side and they can give you feedback. Especially if you get another complaint.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Associations have rules and many have lots of rules with people that actually read and know them...

Each violation or notice should reference the specific rule in question.

The association also has a procedure in place to appeal should it become necessary.

A very good friend was having lots of problems... he took it on as a mission and ran for the board and won... a friend of his also ran and one. All of a sudden, there was a major shift.

One of the reasons he ran and won is the association was racking up tens of thousands of dollars in annual legal fees because people receiving violations were contesting with lawyers...

A good place to start is to read and understand the bylaws and/or covenants.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Just so you know, people complain everywhere...not just in condos and not just through HOA's. There are plenty of neighbor horror stories to be had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting