Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 57,804 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a new place 2 days ago. It's the 2nd floor & partial finished attic/3rd floor of a house (so I kind of have a duplex-up apartment), and there are also apartment units on the first floor and basement - so 3 different tenants; I am on the top. I figured going in that because it's a house, I'd have less sound insulation than I did in my high-rise apartment that I moved out of, and expected to be able to hear some talking, etc - no big deal. But the noise I have encountered in my only 2 days there is unreal.
I have twice now had to deal with hours of LOUD, incessant tv/stereo noise, to the point where I can feel it in my floors and walls - even on my top floor!! Even loud white noise doesn't drown it out because bass comes through that. The first night, it sounded like a movie or video game and went on from about 7 or 8pm to probably 1am, today it was bass-heavy club music. On my way out the door to run errands (I couldn't stay in and deal with the noise!!), I was very surprised to discover as I walked down the stairs that this noise was not coming from the downstairs neighbors, a 30s-ish couple who I met briefly the day I moved in, but from the guy in the basement apartment! I can't even imagine how loud his music must be for me to be able to hear and feel it all the way up in the attic, with 2 floors between us.

So my problem is, how do I approach this when I haven't even met this neighbor yet?? I feel like that's a terrible first impression to meet him and say "You're too loud", and I don't want to be "that neighbor", but I also can't live with that ridiculous amount of noise and need to ask him to be more considerate. I'm shy as it is and probably wouldn't be one to just knock on his door and introduce myself, I'd more likely just wait until I inevitably run into him in the stairway or something, so I'm really at a loss here. He's apparently been there for 5 or 6 years, and the 1st floor tenants for about 2 years, so I also kind of feel like who am I to come in and expect them to change, right? But it's just beyond the scope of normal neighbor noise. Can anyone give me an idea of how to break the ice and politely ask him to turn it down, without coming across as an annoying new neighbor? I'd really like to be on good terms with these people because we're in a small building and as I understand from the landlord, everyone likes to hang out together and has a good relationship. I just don't even know how I'd word something like that - especially since the noise has happened on a Friday night, and a Sunday afternoon. So, not like I can say 'hey, I have to be up for work in the morning'...and somehow 'hey, I can't hear my tv over your music' just doesn't seem as compelling a reason to be quieter. HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geema7 View Post
how do I approach this when I haven't even met this neighbor yet??
Knock on their door and introduce yourself.
After a few polite niceties... bring up the noise and ask nicely to have it stopped.

Quote:
Can anyone give me an idea of how to break the ice and politely ask him to turn it down,
without coming across as an annoying new neighbor?
nope.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
You are living in a converted single family home..you are going to hear noise. You are going to hear the tv, music and conversation just like you would if only you and your family lived in the whole house.

I don't suggest you directly confront your neighbor, it won't matter how nice you are, you will only make matters worse. Contact your landlord and tell him/her what you posted here and ask him/her to deal with it. If its really bad, call the police. But, as I already stated...you are living in a single family home that was designed for a single family, not multi famiy living.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 PM

35 posts, read 336,156 times
I would say an easy thing to do is just go introduce yourself first, when there is no noise. Later on, whenever it is too loud/late, then go over a second time.

You could say something like, "I didn't want to complain because I wasn't sure if it was a one-time thing or if it was going to be a pattern, but since it seems like this is happening every night (or so), are you aware that I can hear/feel your music/tv/etc all of the way on the 3rd floor?"

It's up to you if you want to go to them or the LL first. I would think going to the LL first would be worse because there probably isn't much the LL can do (or WILL do, if you pay rent / put up with it), and the guy will know/highly suspect it was the new person who just moved in anyways. So you're in the same boat, either way.

Last edited by plscuba; 10-07-2012 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: wanted to, kthx

Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Introduce yourself and be very nice. Perhaps they don't realize how loud they are affects your living space. It is absolutely awkward, but necessary.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,615 times
Talk to the 30ish couple. See what they think about the noise.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
i would only bring this up if it is happening after quiet hours preventing you from sleeping, which it appears it is. converted houses are ALWAYS noise factories. there is rarely proper soundproofing and they do not fall under the same standards as stand alone apartments do for sound specs.
if it where me i would ask the landlord first about noise levels in the place and if he was aware how loud it was. depending on what his position on it is is the ultimate factor in if anything can or will be done.

if it makes you feel any better we just got through with a similar situation. the people downstairs had 3 toddlers running around on bare hardwood floors all day and into the night.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Talk to the 30ish couple. See what they think about the noise.
It would be interesting to see what they say.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
sound wise? I am betting the noise runs thru the WHOLE HOUSE via the heat ducts or the chimmeny.. .. because either the main floor folks are dealing with it because
1 they are deaf .. which is very possible ..
OR
2 they are friends with the basement apt
OR
3 they have bitched and asked the LL to fix it and he doesnt so they just endure ..

Dont waste your time trying to be nice .. call the cops if its after quiet time.. do it everytime the after 10pm noise starts and simply stand up for your rights as a tenant in that house ..
If that basement apt has been there for any lenght of time the LL is already aware and will not fix it so.. expect the fact that your gonna have to "help" him remember your entitled to quiet time

Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
I feel for you! Loud stereos (esp the bass) or even tv noise is very frustrating and upsetting and no one should have to put up with that racket.

It's impossible for me to accept that the tenant is unaware of the noise he's expecting his neighbors to put up with; some may say he has no idea, but he knows.

Approaching him may be the best approach; but not knowing your neighbor I can't say for sure what the reaction will be (and I write 'him', although it could be a 'her').

You could say something to the effect that 'you realize the soundproofing isn't the best in the world' and 'that the bass carries throughout the entire structure'. You could also say that you want him/her to be able to enjoy their music but that unfortunately it's resonating into your unit.

I suggest talking to the tenant before addressing the LL; give the tenant the opportunity to turn down the volume first.

And I wouldn't approach the people living in the middle; if they haven't said something by now, they either don't care, are deaf, or are afraid to speak up (and if that's the case, would probably not join your crusade).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting