Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 132,155 times

Advertisements

Share your story about dealing with loud and obnoxious neighbors.

When living in a multi dwelling complex, you learn to tolerate hearing other peoples conversations, televisions, kids throwing tantrums or even sometimes toilet flushes and try to be considerate for those around you but a person can only tolerate so much before you go crazy.

I have a neighbor below me who plays loud music everyday, the bass is up so high that my floor shakes along with his damn crappy music. My tv's volume can't go high enough to drown his music out.

Many neighbors have complained to the super, management and the offender but to no avail music keeps on playing...

I have no idea what he does for a living but I'm assuming he is unemployed because he's home all day, everyday.
I can deal with his tv blaring, I can deal with his sudden burst of screams and laughter, I can deal with hearing his conversations on the phone for hours but when my things shake and move to the beat of his music, I just want to strangle the douche bag below me

I'm crossing my fingers he gets evicted soon for not being able to pay rent but until then I guess I'll be taking up a new hobby... clog dancing lets see how he likes it when his whole apartment shakes. Kidding

Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,422,975 times
I just have "one" neighbor, but the past few that I've had have pretty much been the same. Numerous people over, parties, trash, and as I currently type this my side of the duplex is vibrating.

Its all good though my train CD and ear plugs help for the nights. As for the days I just increase the volume on my TV.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1tydweller View Post
Share your story about dealing with loud and obnoxious neighbors.

When living in a multi dwelling complex, you learn to tolerate hearing other peoples conversations, televisions, kids throwing tantrums or even sometimes toilet flushes and try to be considerate for those around you but a person can only tolerate so much before you go crazy.

I have a neighbor below me who plays loud music everyday, the bass is up so high that my floor shakes along with his damn crappy music. My tv's volume can't go high enough to drown his music out.

Many neighbors have complained to the super, management and the offender but to no avail music keeps on playing...

I have no idea what he does for a living but I'm assuming he is unemployed because he's home all day, everyday.
I can deal with his tv blaring, I can deal with his sudden burst of screams and laughter, I can deal with hearing his conversations on the phone for hours but when my things shake and move to the beat of his music, I just want to strangle the douche bag below me

I'm crossing my fingers he gets evicted soon for not being able to pay rent but until then I guess I'll be taking up a new hobby... clog dancing lets see how he likes it when his whole apartment shakes. Kidding

When you called the police about the music what did they say?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
This is why I will NEVER, G*d willing, live in an apartment or condo ever again (unless it is absolutely soundproof between apartments -- which is basically impossible).

I remember when I lived in apartments during college/grad school, the people who made noise would often say things like, "I have a right to make as much noise as I want in my own apartment. I don't tell you what to do in your own apartment." What that b.s. "argument" completely missed is that MY READING QUIETLY IN MY LIVING ROOM DID NOT BOTHER THEM IN ANY WAY, yet their blasting their "music" and FORCING me to hear it too bothered the h*** out of me. You don't see a difference? Seriously?

Honestly, I would never have complained about things like people walking "loudly" or talking on the phone or things like that -- those are problems with the BUILDING, not the tenant. But people blasting their music? That's not the building, that's a**hole tenants.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 132,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
When you called the police about the music what did they say?
I haven't called the cops on him, yet.
I've spoken to my neighbors around me and I know the tenant below him has but I assume not much can be done since mostly the music is blasted during the day, which is quite unfortunate...

Old 11-03-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1tydweller View Post
I haven't called the cops on him, yet.
I've spoken to my neighbors around me and I know the tenant below him has but I assume not much can be done since mostly the music is blasted during the day, which is quite unfortunate...

You have to notify the landlord and the police of the noise. If they dont' know what's going on, they can't do anything about it. If the music is as bad as you say it is, the time of day won't matter.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 PM

192 posts, read 826,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
This is why I will NEVER, G*d willing, live in an apartment or condo ever again (unless it is absolutely soundproof between apartments -- which is basically impossible).
I live in a SFR and my neighbors seem to be just as noisy or worse than apartment neighbors. My bedrooms are all next to their driveway (their bedrooms are on the far side from us). They have LOUD, late (2am) parties. The wife likes to yell and scream and laugh really loud, even at 2am. They often have loud music going as well. They don't seem to realize they have neighbors bordering on 3-4 sides of them.

At about 6:30am they start playing music. The bass goes through my windows and rattles my house just as if we were in an attached apartment.

Lately they seem to notice that they're making a lot of noise, as they have been apologetic and gave us the numbers to call to tell them to quiet down. Else maybe the other neighbors called the cops on them to be quiet. In my city, if the cops are called out to the same party twice in one night, it's a $1000 fine for the homeowner.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 AM

You need to call the cops each and every time this happens. Our city also fines homeowners for noise violations but they can't fine them if they aren't called.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 AM

469 posts, read 912,960 times
About 20 years ago I was living in a fairly new apartment complex on the outside of the city. Mostly older folks and young families. Was fine for almost a year when I had 4 college kits move into the 2 bedroom above us, and an abusive couple on the side of us. Dont know what was worse, the couple who had loud fights, then just as loud make up sex. Or the kids who were gone all day, and would drink and party till 3am every day.

In the end the abusive couple were the worst. Both lost thier jobs, got deeper into drugs and the fights escalated. Cops would often break it up. Dont know what became of them since we moved out. To this day Im very cautious on who my neighbors are.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Unfortunately, the world is full of inconsiderate jerks and each new generation appears to be getting more and more self-centered.

Anyone who lives in an area that doesn't have at least one bad neighbor is very lucky indeed, because the self-centered inconsiderate pigs are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.