Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Did the lease actually state that the term was "12 months" or was there simply blanks to fill in for the start and end dates? I've never seen a lease that actually said "this is a 12 month lease beginning __________(fill in the blank date)".

I've had a few people think their lease ended on the same date that they may have moved in such as the 7th of a month. They're all shocked to find that they owe a full month's rent and that the lease ends on the 30th of a month. "You said this was a 6 month lease!" and I reply, "It is clearly written on page 1 the start and end dates." We never end a lease on anything but the 30th unless the tenant specifically asks for it to end on a certain date earlier than that.

Lesson learned - read and understand what you sign before you sign it.
You don't even need to read very carefully...

The standard lease here reads from a date to a date with a total rent of....

So actually the problem cannot occur. Though you could have any interesting discussion of a similar sort if the dates were 13 months apart and the money was done by multiplying the rent by 12.

I would think you would have to see that actual language...but it could conflict and if so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,183 times
My landlord did the same thing, turned a 12 month lease into 13 months. Maybe that is just the way some people do it. Mattered not to me, it was another month the rent could not go up.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Baxter View Post
Hello,

I am in dispute with my previous landlord about money due. The original lease was for 1 year, 12 months. Yet she made an error on the end date and stated the Start was August 1st and end was August 30th. I did not realize it was wrong until the end of my lease was nearing and I intended to move out in July. When I brought this to her attention, she insisted this is how leases are written. I felt obligated to stay as I had signed the lease and seemed I was stuck. I moved out before the end of July yet left a few boxes inside as I was paying for the whole month of August even though I was no longer living there. Just recently I looked into this issue with a local legal firm and here is what I was told.

12 month lease is for 365 days.
The drafter of the lease holds liability for the error.

I open to advice, knowledge of law and your opinions.
The legal advise you got was correct!

At least in Florida a leae contract can't be for longer than 365 days unlss a lawyer prepared the lease and it is signed in the lawyers office. So it was not valid after 365 days...

Old 03-21-2015, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You don't even need to read very carefully...

The standard lease here reads from a date to a date with a total rent of....

So actually the problem cannot occur. Though you could have any interesting discussion of a similar sort if the dates were 13 months apart and the money was done by multiplying the rent by 12.

I would think you would have to see that actual language...but it could conflict and if so?
So does that mean when the lease is dated for 13 months but the rate is done at 12 months, that you have to pay the extra month? Or legally per you lease agreement you were to get the certain amount of months for the certain amount of dollar amount to be paid? Who has the legal recourse here?

Old 03-21-2015, 01:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYL45 View Post
So does that mean when the lease is dated for 13 months but the rate is done at 12 months, that you have to pay the extra month? Or legally per you lease agreement you were to get the certain amount of months for the certain amount of dollar amount to be paid? Who has the legal recourse here?
Our lease lists the dates and the total amount of rent. If the dates are not consistent the rent would still be correct. If the dates are 13 months and the money is 13 months I would think the lease is for 13 months.

In general inconsistent or ambiguous information in a contract is read against the one who wrote it.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,395 times
I am in dispute about a lease renewal offer reminder letter that was send to us it says our lease expires in 7/30/2017 my wife had renew the lease the term of the lease says 7/5/2016 to 9/4/2017 she had always signs a 12 months lease in the pass 3 years for only 12 mouths somehow this one was 14 months because of the renew letter she started looking for another place wasn't going to renew lease found an apartment going to move 9/3/2017 the renew letter also says can do month to month we were going to do the month to month and leave now as I was packing i found the lease and it's says 7/4/2016 to 9/4/2017 and told them about the mistake now there are saying I have to pay untill then I already signed another lease to move in on 9/3/2017 because of the error that was made by there office do I sill have to pay untill then

Old 07-02-2017, 06:23 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Are you suggesting because they made a "mistake" on the original lease, which your wife signed and never questioned, that you shouldn't have to pay rent for the last 2 months? That's not how it works. Your wife signed it. Her fault for not reading what she signed.

You have a lease that ends on Sept. 4. You have a new lease starting on Sept. 3. I really fail to see the problem. You were going to pay month to month for what you thought were a couple extra months. Yes, you have to pay them.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,494 times
My lease says 12 months beginning June 26th 2020 ending August 28th 2021. That’s 14 months. I never told them I wanted to do a 14 month lease and now they refuse to fix it to the 12 months even though they made the mistake. I technically agreed to both on the lease which is impossible. Why does the landlord get to take it upon herself to choose out of the two? I have plenty of time before my lease ends for them to figure this out... what are my rights here?

Old 11-09-2020, 07:45 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkaxo View Post
what are my rights here?
Very little.

If the lease was not what you desired, you had the option to walk away. But if you signed it with that 14 month lease term, you agreed to those terms.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Baxter View Post
I have not paid all of it, only half, that is the dispute. Yet they do not want to go to court as they do not claim the income. I wanted to do the right thing, yet found out by law I am not obligated. So forking out another $1,000 does not excite me. I want to shuck it up and let go. Just thought I would get some feedback before I surrender completely.

I appreciate your advice, the high road is usually the best regardless.
Did you stay and use the property for that “additional disputed month”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting