Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times

Advertisements

our bank accounts have 'pass codes', w/out them you are not entitled to any info.
I'd call your bank in a hurry...
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 PM

18 posts, read 173,215 times
Thanks for all of your advice. I first found the house on hotpads.com and I called the real estate agent company listed. Finally got thru to the correct agent and she told me that the owners want do the screening themselves and she gave me the guy's cell phone number. I spoke to him and gave him my email address and that is how the process got started. I was on Craig's list today and saw house listed with the wife's cell phone number (no mention of the real estate company). The phone # on Craig's list is same # on rental sign at house.

Why list it with an agent if they are going to do all the work? Is it so that they can run the credit check thru the realtor?

I don't know for sure if it was the couple outside, but I think it is. They are still living in the house and won't be moving out until 12/1/12.

I just have a creepy feeling about this. The guy told me that they are moving about 20 minutes away. They made a point to tell me that they paid the HOA dues (for use of the pool, tennis courts, and clubhouse) but that I can use these facilities. At first I thought "how generous!" but I now think that maybe the reason they paid them is so that they can still come back and hang out at the pool and check up on their tenant!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
All checks have bank info on them -- routing number and account number. So while it sounds like scary info to give out, anyone to whom you've written a check HAS that info.

For other reasons, though, the situation does sound odd. I'd stay away!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yep...I'd contact your bank and ask them to change your account number. I work at a law firm, we do a lot of bankruptcy's....Even the fed bankruptcy court only ask's for the last 4 digits of your bank accts. I woud make this change immediately. The credit reference is bad enough, I hate giving my ss number out. Do you even know you have the apartment yet?? Scarey imo
A SSN # is normal if a background check will be performed but we never ask for bank accounts but may ask for pay stubbs or proof of income in any form. We always need a drive license or ID to verify that the person filling out the application is that person to avoid ID theft and unknown people moving in.

Some owners have no clue what they are doing and just ask fo everything...usually if they are veru dificult they are horrible as landlords but that is not always the case. Perhaps nothing is wrong, and e just wants a good tenant.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yep...I'd contact your bank and ask them to change your account number. I work at a law firm, we do a lot of bankruptcy's....Even the fed bankruptcy court only ask's for the last 4 digits of your bank accts. I woud make this change immediately. The credit reference is bad enough, I hate giving my ss number out. Do you even know you have the apartment yet?? Scarey imo
good points--i mistakenly gave my account number out and had to change it--ll's son tried to order checks on the account--luckily twas a bank that knew me and called me(small town)

Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM

18 posts, read 173,215 times
Quote:
Some owners have no clue what they are doing and just ask fo everything...usually if they are veru dificult they are horrible as landlords but that is not always the case. Perhaps nothing is wrong, and e just wants a good tenant.
Yes, I did think that perhaps that they were just asking for everything because that was what was on the generic rental application. It was the secondary email regarding contacting my old boss as well as my new company, asking about my husband's job and income (even though he won't be moving in with me for at least 6 months), and my bank's phone number that seemed a bit invasive. The fact that they couldn't show the house, saying they were "out of town" while actually being at home is what made me decide they aren't the landlords for me. They expect me to be 100% truthful on my application--sharing personal information such as salary, expenses, previous credit blemishes, etc...but they can lie and say they're out of town when they are not? I know that people's houses might not be ready to show to strangers--but don't say you are out of town when you are not. And don't scurry into the house and shut the front door when people come by to look at your rental home (which has a sign on it.)

In any case, I feel that I did the right thing by not signing an agreement with them. They would probably be the type of landlord that would drop by unexpectedly just to check on things.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings2 View Post
In any case, I feel that I did the right thing by not signing an agreement with them.
Good for you - they were requiring way too much information and you know the old adage about walking like a duck and quacking like a duck ...

Better luck next time!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
We require photo ID, social security, AND bank account statements, WITH the numbers.

Why?

Because when you don't pay your rent, wreck the unit and steal the water heater, it makes it easier for us to track you down and enforce a judgement.

Do you expect me to turn over a house worth some where between $50,000 and $450,000 or maybe even more, just because you sent me an "e-mail" saying you have a job?

Don't want to give up your info, live in a motel - they accept credit cards and don't care what your credit is, or rent from some amateur landlord that doesn't know any better. Landlords are scammed, ripped off and even killed by tenants a LOT more often than the other way around. Professional landlords have usually learned the hard way, which is why they require this info.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 AM

316 posts, read 660,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

A word of advice to all tenants. It is very easy to verify if a potential landlord actually owns the house, or if it is a legitimate rental management company. Do that and you won't get scammed.
And how is this verified?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
We require photo ID, social security, AND bank account statements, WITH the numbers.
How does a bank account statement offer you any sort of security? I could have thousands in there one day and take it all out the next. Maybe requiring a prospective tenant's bank statement has worked for you but no way in the world would I rent from anyone who demanded mine. As long as my ID checks out, my references check out and my background check is fine, that's more than sufficient. Knowing how much money I have in the bank and the nature of my transactions isn't going to help you find me if I skip on you and it's a total invasion of privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting