Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 AM

166 posts, read 442,803 times

Advertisements

Our landlords wants us to keep the door between the mil unit and the house unlocked. They said in case of any emergency. One I'm almost always home, and two they have a key to get into the front door. The other door none of our keys fit. I don't recall any law, Washington state, that allows this. I don't feel comfortable, they entertain, and with drinking strangers around. I've already heard the knob tried times when we did lock it. Not to mention we've got a loaded gun I keep next to my bed. After waking to a man crawling in my bed many years ago I'm going to shot first, and I know how to use it. We do have a stand your ground law here, but it'll never be a case of George Zimmerman as it is for home protection only. I did consider a carry concealed permit after being attacked by a pitbull last August.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Boy that sure did escalate quickly.

Is this a door that leads into your house that they want unlocked? Does it lead to any shared area? Do they have a right of use to this door??

Bah, who cares. Keep it locked, tell 'em to pound sand; and never forget your duty to retreat before you put holes in people. It may not be necessary in your state, but it sure does look good with the criminal and civil suit that is surely to follow.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
Our landlords wants us to keep the door between the mil unit and the house unlocked.
They said in case of any emergency...
If you want privacy then rent an actual apart-ment. The MIL unit is not that.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Have the lock changed so that the landlord has a key to the door and keep it locked. The landlord can not make you sleep in an unsecured place.

Is it the landlord in the other unit that wants you to leave the door unlocked at night? If it is, get the heck out of there. That situation is creepy.

If the other unit is another tenant, the landlord is mad to request that you leave the door unlocked.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
If the MIL unit is rented separately and doesn't have the required number of 'means of egress', that's the owners problem, not yours.
That's the only reason I can think of for him requesting it.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM

166 posts, read 442,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you want privacy then rent an actual apart-ment. The MIL unit is not that.
It sure is an apartment, it doesn't lead to any common spaces, and it leads right into our living quarters. We aren't roommates. They have a key that gives them access.

Thanks to everyone else's advice.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
sorry they lose on this one .. lock your shared door .. there is NO REASON why they need it unlocked ..unacceptable request on the LL part since your RENTING the MIL apt from them..

Frankly you should have a double key deadbolt lock with NO knob at all. on that door or it should be walled off and unseen by anyone.. on either side.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Eff that. If there's another entrance, I'd just change the lock and give the key when you move out. That's complete BS if they expect you to keep it unlocked.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
It sure is an apartment, it doesn't lead to any common spaces...
They have a key that gives them access.
What about the utility aspects?
Electric panel? Meters? Gas and water valves? Furnace? Water Heater?
The fire egress they mention is just one of these factors.

If their mother in law or some other person related to that family were living there...
would the lack of privacy that a door to/from the rest of the house be an issue?

It takes more than thinking of a space as an apartment to make it one.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What about the utility aspects?
Electric panel? Meters? Gas and water valves? Furnace? Water Heater?
The fire egress they mention is just one of these factors.

If their mother in law or some other person related to that family were living there...
would the lack of privacy that a door to/from the rest of the house be an issue?

It takes more than thinking of a space as an apartment to make it one.
f that not their problem put a throw blot on your side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting