Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times

Advertisements

MTB you might have just asked the right question!!! If that's the size (12x16) then we are not talking major bucks here. Home Depot or Lowe's could probably do that for a couple hundred bucks or so. The only trick is matching the color/style. A handyman might be able to do it for less labor charge than store installation.

If you're the one with the cat + mold problem and it's just that one room, trow money at the problem. Maybe 50/50 and end up being out about a hundred give or take.

Or just settle with LL. Fixing the carpet won't fix the LL's problem. Replacing the carpet will just mean same problem again in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 02:10 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
Hmmm... This is so frustrating, because I know MANY smaller dogs who are more destructive and obnoxious than our dog or dog breed. Just because a dog is bigger does not mean they are destructive or a greater risk than a small, untrained yip dog. If LL's don't want traditionally aggressive breeds, I think they should specify so. (Including small dogs that are traditionally aggressive.) They shouldn't lump all big dogs in that category.
And why should a landlord care?

They just want to avoid hassles. So instead of having a list of hundreds of breeds that are either ACCEPTABLE or UNACCEPTABLE, they keep it simple. A weight limit is a convenient and generally effective way of doing so. And if it occasionally costs them a tenant, there are probably plenty more lined up (and if they accept dogs at all, that means they are a sought-after rental niche).

Bigger dogs are stronger dogs. I've seen solid frame doors almost clawed through by a dog, and guess what? It wasn't a Shih Tzu that destroyed that door. Big dogs do more digging damage. They're more likely to saddle the owner of the unit with the problems associated with a breed actually inflicting serious physical harm on another person. Breaking news: yorkies aren't involved in many maulings and/or disfigurements. Mass is a basic factor in the equation of kinetic energy, more of which results in more damage. It's just physics.

And do you know how many times a landlord has heard: "But Rover is different! No really! Trust us!". And sometimes Rover is indeed different. But other times Rover just has clueless owners who can believe that their dog is, well, a dog like most other dogs. A landlord, wisely, plays the odds and doesn't try and individually evaluate each and every dog based on the solemn profession of someone who really, really, really wants an apartment.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
And do you know how many times a landlord has heard: "But Rover is different! No really! Trust us!".
Every time I get an application from a dog owner. And it's true at least HALF the time!

Old 02-19-2017, 05:48 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Almost any one of the major urban areas in the country.
Do they make more money to afford the $4,000 apt? i live in chicago and average price for apartment downtown is maybe $2,500 at most. i'd like to know what you get for $4,000 and sq feet that makes it worth it.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Many of our $4,000 + a month renters are immigrants. They are generally the best tenants!
One of my current tenants has paper work "challenges". He was completely honest about it and is my best tenant. He has a thing called work ethic that I've noticed is quite common in certain demographics.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
One of my current tenants has paper work "challenges". He was completely honest about it and is my best tenant. He has a thing called work ethic that I've noticed is quite common in certain demographics.
Good way to put it. I was trying to think of a diplomatic way to say the same thing.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 AM

529 posts, read 750,443 times
A prospective tenant is asking if his 8 year old, lab mix, 40 lbs dog ok?

I have no idea about pets and what kind of damage 40 lbs dog can do.

Any suggestions/advice?

TIA

Old 04-18-2018, 09:23 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
A prospective tenant is asking if his 8 year old, lab mix, 40 lbs dog ok?

I have no idea about pets and what kind of damage 40 lbs dog can do.

Any suggestions/advice?

TIA
How long have they owned the dog?
Vaccination records?
Why are they moving?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:37 AM

529 posts, read 750,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
How long have they owned the dog?
Vaccination records?
Why are they moving?
I will find it out.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:45 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
A prospective tenant is asking if his 8 year old, lab mix, 40 lbs dog ok?........
"Lab mix" is tenant speak for "I have a pitbull, but I am going to try to trick you into thinking it is not a pitbull".

You need to meet the dog. Make sure it doesn't look like a pitbull and make sure it is happy, tail wagging friendly, and is clean, well groomed, and obedient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting