Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,464,103 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a new condo officially last Wednesday. It is being managed by a property management company and he owners apparently live out of the state. We filled out all the paperwork and paid all of the deposits in the time frame they gave us. Everything was completed within a week. The property manager gave us keys to the door, but no key for the mailbox, the pool and no key card for the gym. We spoke to the maintenance guy and he says he can have these made, but it will cost us and in fact the owners should have them. So we go back to the property manager and she says she's trying to track down the owners and get the keys from them.

I'm beyond frustrated with her, there were other paperwork issues that have since been resolved. They collected a $200 admin fee from us that wasn't advertised - it was supposed to be for paperwork but we've done most of the run around. I didn't want to lose the place so I paid.

What can I do? Not having a mail box key is BS! There are two ways we can get these keys, either the owners get them to us, or the complex makes us new ones for a fee. Can they ask us to pay the fee for the keys? I think not! Also, if she takes her time getting in touch with the owners or they don't get back to her, can we withhold the rent? Technically use of the pool area, gym and mail box are included with rent, so since we are not getting what we are paying for, why would I pay?

Or, are we basically SOL?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,381,519 times
Red face Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
We just moved into a new condo officially last Wednesday. It is being managed by a property company and he owners apparently live out of the state. We filled out all the paperwork and paid all of the deposits in the time frame they gave us. Everything was completed within a week. The property manager gave us keys to the door, but no key for the mailbox, the pool and no key card for the gym. We spoke to the maintenance guy and he says he can have these made, but it will cost us and in fact the owners should have them. So we go back to the property manager and she says she's trying to track down the owners and get the keys from them.

I'm beyond frustrated with her, there were other paperwork issues that have since been resolved. They collected a $200 admin fee from us that wasn't advertised - it was supposed to be for paperwork but we've done most of the run around. I didn't want to lose the place so I paid.

What can I do? Not having a mail box key is BS! There are two ways we can get these keys, either the owners get them to us, or the complex makes us new ones for a fee. Can they ask us to pay the fee for the keys? I think not! Also, if she takes her time getting in touch with the owners or they don't get back to her, can we withhold the rent? Technically use of the pool area, gym and mail box are included with rent, so since we are not getting what we are paying for, why would I pay?

Or, are we basically SOL?
I'd be sending an email to the PM and asking when you can expect to receive them or should you...'just have them duplicated and submit the receipt for the costs with next months reduced rent'... bet you'll get some action right away.
Koale

Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
The property manager gave us keys to the door, but no key for the mailbox, the pool and no key card for the gym. We spoke to the maintenance guy and he says he can have these made, but it will cost us and in fact the owners should have them. So we go back to the property manager and she says she's trying to track down the owners and get the keys from them.

What can I do?
First step is to stop dealing with the mgmt verbally if anything substantial
isn't resolved/answered immediately... Put it in writing.

PS: If you don't exactly who owns your home and where they live...
that just became your job #1.

Most states have that info online.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Yes, I'm only dealing with her via email. I will look up the owners information online, that was my next step.

It's not that we can duplicate the keys, the keys are no where to be found?!?! Like where did the last tenants put them?? She doesn't know any of this.

Can we withhold January rent until they provide these to us? I mean at this point that's all I have on them!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM

211 posts, read 448,509 times
Weird, I am in the same predicament as you, just on the opposite side. My new tenants need the mailbox key and the previous tenant has lost it. I live out of state and my property manager does not know how to fix this.
I wish you luck in getting it resolved. If I find out anything on my end about getting new keys, I will post it for you. By the way, I would never expect my new tenant to pay for this. This is a landlord responsibility.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyPace View Post
Weird, I am in the same predicament as you, just on the opposite side. My new tenants need the mailbox key and the previous tenant has lost it. I live out of state and my property manager does not know how to fix this.
I wish you luck in getting it resolved. If I find out anything on my end about getting new keys, I will post it for you. By the way, I would never expect my new tenant to pay for this. This is a landlord responsibility.
Thank you! I just think our property manager is beyond clueless. My plan is if she doesn't get back by the end of the week, I'm going to her management - if that doesn't resolve anything, I'm witholding January rent.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM

278 posts, read 1,515,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyPace View Post

I too live out of state and have a property manager. Regarding keys, my property manager changes the locks when a tenant moves. Also, you can change a mailbox lock. It's really easy and a general maintenance person can do it.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,147,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbatiste View Post
I too live out of state and have a property manager. Regarding keys, my property manager changes the locks when a tenant moves. Also, you can change a mailbox lock. It's really easy and a general maintenance person can do it.

CAll the owner. Don't you have her/ his name? You ar epaying rent to them correct?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
Most maintenance people can change the locks - and if not, any locksmith can do that. If the management company seems unable to figure this out, perhaps you could provide the office with the name of a local locksmith or two.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
The best option, IMO, is to give a specific date by which you expect new keys, whether the old ones or new, and that, if you need to have then made and pay for them, it is your intention to deduct the cost from your next months rent.

Perhaps people that have advised changing locks etc, don't realize is the clubhouse/pool locks can't be changed without all users needing new keys and very often,the mailbox keys need to be authorized kinds from the USPS.
Generally, the key blanks are the kind that can't be duplicated and management has the blanks. Is that the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting