Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times

Advertisements

OK I am on Setion 8 living in this nice middle class apts for the past 4+ yrs. We were in a 1 bedroom apt for 3.5 yrs. I had to Make the Mgr move use to a 2 bedroom apt. So in Aug 2011 we moved into a 2 bedroom Right behind the Dumpster! I NEVER in all the yrs here had ROACHES! But in Spring [March 2012] We saw 3-4! I Instantly told mgr then 2 weeks later Wrote her about them then a month after that she inspected the apt & asked IF we still had roaches! Well DUH Yes! So she makes a appointment to send the extermanator 2 weeks later. He comes it squirts kitchen & bath & leaves!! So then I decide this is rediculous & start buying all kinds of bug spray! I been fighting them ever since. NOW I found out 2 days ago my Neighbor Not only Just discovered she has BedBugs 2 weeks ago She reported it the Mgr who IS PAYING for the extermanator to get rid of them! They will be here tomarrow to Soak her apt in Chemicals! So I asked mgr When does she plan to have them do the same to my apt for Roaches? She tells me NEVER cause I am section 8! WTH does that have to do with it YOU get ALL your rent money Doent matter Where it comes from! This is WHY Section 8 gets a bad name Cause Mgrs like her!

Frankly I reported her for not getting us a 2 bedroom apt she been harrasing us ever since. I feel she will evict us IF I complain about this. I dont know what to do. On top of this Because of the Roaches I cant keep HomeHealth Aides! & the company want ME to pay for Treatment before they send anyone else. I Cant afford an extermanator for 1 & 2 they wont do it Without mgr permission!

Thanks for leting me vent! Would appreciate any ideas......

Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
She cannot evict you for complaining, only for non-payment of rent or otherwise breaking of your lease. Or at least in FL she can't. I don't know the laws where you are, you should contact your housing authority to find out your rights. In most multi-family buildings, the landlord is fully responsible for pest control for ALL tenants. That being said, 3-4 roaches are not a full infestation, just a control issue, and there is nothing wrong with your own can of Raid. Bedbugs are their own separate issue, and apparently not yours at this time. Bedbugs could be brought into a building BY the TENANT. As can roaches.

You should send WRITTEN notification to your landlord about the bug problem. And then if its not remedied you should go to your housing authority about the landlord, that is what THEY are for, try to keep yourself out of it. And the room issue has apparently been resolved, but you should document everything in writing.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Those 3-4 roaches are now HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS & they have Nests I cant get to. Even in the Dishwasher!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
why are you writing in bold type? That's kind of an in-your-face thing and are you that way with your landlord, too? I'd get pretty passive aggressive as a landlord if my tenants were hostile. Just sayin'

I don't rent to Section 8 but I do know that even if I can't evict tenants, I sure can choose not to renew leases and I wouldn't renew a lease to someone who give me grief about things they can resolve on their own. Roaches are kind of a challenge. What are you doing to help eradicate them? I expect my tenants to keep a clean house and I provide them boric acid to apply themselves and under plumbing in in crevices throughout their homes.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 AM

Again, everything in writing, including notification to your landlord and any response or lack thereof. Then, off to the housing authority if nothing is resolved. I trust you know how to contact them.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Quote:
I had to Make the Mgr move use to a 2 bedroom apt
Can you touch on this? Why did you force the manger to move to you a bigger unit?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Again, everything in writing, including notification to your landlord and any response or lack thereof. Then, off to the housing authority if nothing is resolved. I trust you know how to contact them.
I have been to HUD talked to the Maintance boss. Hes had plenty of problems with roaches this yr... Said they are comming from WalMart. Dont know or care where they org just want them gone. Anyway he says they cant make her clean them out all I can do is move. That not an option.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Can you touch on this? Why did you force the manger to move to you a bigger unit?
Well DUH cause we NEEDED & was Offered a bigger apt when we were here a yr. & was put on the List! Then the current mgr comes along & everytime there was a 2 bedroom she pass us by... We were 1st on the list according to her. But she in the mean time rented out 6-- 2 bedrooms & 2 were to Drug Dealers! 1 involved a shooting! So I email the apt owners corp headquarter they told her to move us into the next 2 bedroom! Funny took her less than 30 days to move us all rush rush! Carpet wasnt cleaned nor wall painted & things kept falling apart! Lucky we had a great maintance guy that kept fixing things! Still no walls painted or carpet cleaned! And Dont say that since we are living here cant be done! This same lady with the bedbugs Had her carpets cleaned & after the bugs are gone they are Painting her apt!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Well, I find the "well duh" attitude with people who are trying to help you quite off-putting. Good luck with that.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
well, i find the "well duh" attitude with people who are trying to help you quite off-putting. Good luck with that.
bye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.