Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
DOUBT IT .... So your just Making a ass out of yourself! Where is the Proof where the kids came from Where is the Proof she got preggers by 7 different men?? NONE cause no one asked her! Section 8 KNOWS cause the have Birth Cretificates & SS of Everyone in the program.. But yet YOUR Brother FAILED to fine out! Just spreading Nasty Stories just to Dignify him turning some one down for housing! GEE WHY am I NOT surprised Blame the Tenant Mentality! Just cause Your Brother FAILED as a LL to ASK!

BTW My Gma had 12 kids by the same man Her HUSBAND!

BTW, you have failed your English test. I actually found it hard to read.

Please, I live in Brooklyn NY, and we be hip to dis crap all da time, ya know???

you know too, that she had dose 7 kiddies by 7 diffent men, c'mon, you know da truth, sista just begging for some government help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I understand what you're saying, but i'm telling you she gets $486 dollars a month for her and her son on SNAP. I've seen the website that shows her deposit because we all called her on it saying there is no way she gets that much. Another coworker has a sil with one child who gets the same amount.

SNAP is all computerized here in Florida. You apply online and fax in your paystubs and other paperwork required and then check your account online for your deposit (it shows for each calender year by month). Silly me thought you actually met with a social worker in person....nope, it's all done online and when they need to interview you, it's done over the phone.

As for my assertion of the other items, I'm correct on those as well.

The county gives free cellphones to anyone on SNAP and every child that is on SNAP qualifies for a free computer thru the school system. It's not a loaner, it's their's, free and clear. If you have a landline, you either get that for free or at a deep discount as well.

Also, if you get SNAP you more than likely qualify for medicad ( free medical care, free dental care and free visoin)
What your COUNTY offers in the way of freebies or discounts may well be, but these are not FEDERAL benefits/giveaways but state. The basic qualification no doubt is having qualified for the federally funded SNAP.

The "free cellphone" myth was perpetuated during the last presidential campaign and was debunked, viz:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-phones-suppo/

As is clear from this article, a discount on a telephone landline is available to SNAP recipients but it is neither free nor "deeply discounted". As a senior, I get that same Lifeline credit which is a standard, set $9.00 off my basic service.

As far as the SNAP benefits are concerned, I suppose one then has to simply assume that the State of Florida has failed to update its website for quite some time. In any case, if you object so strenuously to those who receive freebies from your county then maybe you should take it up politically on a local level and voice your concerns.

In the meantime, it would do the greater good and save confusion if you didn't lump all benefits in your county/state under a Federal umbrella where they simply don't belong.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
probably knocked up by seven different men and not married to any of them - sounds more like reality
Let me give you other examples.

One of the programs run by the social service agency I work for offers transitional housing for single women with minor children. The families must have Housing Choice vouchers to participate, and pay 30 percent of their income toward rent. One of the rules is that all the women must be employed, be actively seeking work, or be enrolled in GED or post-secondary education or training.

These women all have extensive histories of poverty and dysfunction, but are in the program to turn their lives around, to learn to budget their money responsibly and live within their means, and to become self-reliant. Because they have extensive histories of poverty and dysfunction, so do most of their families and friends. One of the things we teach them is to learn to develop healthy relationships.

So, their families get into trouble. For so many of the women, their sisters/brothers/adult children get into trouble, and they take in their relatives' minor children temporarily (in some cases, permanently). They suddenly have five or six kids in the house.

Yes, there have been women that have been irresponsible and had more kids. One poor woman had twins, despite using the Pill. We teach them to continue with their goals and plans, despite the setbacks.

Not every single mom with a bunch of kids and a Housing Choice voucher has been with multiple partners, or is trying to scam the system. Some were married, but left an abusive or addicted spouse and wound up in a shelter, and then with us. Some have jobs, but can't afford rent for them and their children on their salaries alone. Some are going to school and working part-time so they can become fully self-reliant.

The world is not black and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So I wouldn't rule out section 8 people but I'd look at them the same way I'd look at anybody.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Well, here in Florida they are given free cellphones, free computers, free internet..not free cable though, in addition to their food stamps allowence. I know for a fact about the internet because I have a good friend who works for the cable company and they do give deep discounts on cable.
Deep discount does not equal free. Look it up.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
LOL Section 8 does NOT create High Crime! To be on Section 8 you have to have a Clean Drug Free or Crime Free Record! They Do Background checks Inc Finger prints! IF Accused of any Crime once on you Automaticly get kicked out of the program...Even if later your Prove to be Inocent you cant get Section 8 again!

Again Folks Blaming Section 8 for crime & poor conditions Without Knowing the FACTS!

I dont know of any LL thats Not Section 8 or HUD that can Legally do that extensive background checks inc Finger prints!
Sorry but in the 2 areas I know that are high in S8 crime increased quite a bit. It also affects the schools and causes them to struggle which then creates more problems.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
LOL Section 8 does NOT create High Crime! To be on Section 8 you have to have a Clean Drug Free or Crime Free Record! They Do Background checks Inc Finger prints! IF Accused of any Crime once on you Automaticly get kicked out of the program...Even if later your Prove to be Inocent you cant get Section 8 again!

Again Folks Blaming Section 8 for crime & poor conditions Without Knowing the FACTS!

I dont know of any LL thats Not Section 8 or HUD that can Legally do that extensive background checks inc Finger prints!

Katie I'm sorry to tell you but you are living on another planet. Seriously, you need to get out more and educate yourself. Have you ever been to the Miami Projects?? NO!!! That is ALL GOVERNMENT HOUSING where drugs are an epidemic, crime is an epidemic, murders are epidemic. How do I know this FIRST HAND?? Because I know several City of Miami cops and firefighters who work in that terrority and say it is nothing but SCUMBAGS.

$10 a month for foodstamps?? WTF are you talking about?? Seriously. Stop speaking of things you know NOTHING about. Obviously you're on Section 8 yourself in the north but it's not the same as section 8 in the south. I'm assuming you're using a free computer at the library to post on CD right??

Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Let me give you other examples.

One of the programs run by the social service agency I work for offers transitional housing for single women with minor children. The families must have Housing Choice vouchers to participate, and pay 30 percent of their income toward rent. One of the rules is that all the women must be employed, be actively seeking work, or be enrolled in GED or post-secondary education or training.

These women all have extensive histories of poverty and dysfunction, but are in the program to turn their lives around, to learn to budget their money responsibly and live within their means, and to become self-reliant. Because they have extensive histories of poverty and dysfunction, so do most of their families and friends. One of the things we teach them is to learn to develop healthy relationships.

So, their families get into trouble. For so many of the women, their sisters/brothers/adult children get into trouble, and they take in their relatives' minor children temporarily (in some cases, permanently). They suddenly have five or six kids in the house.

Yes, there have been women that have been irresponsible and had more kids. One poor woman had twins, despite using the Pill. We teach them to continue with their goals and plans, despite the setbacks.

Not every single mom with a bunch of kids and a Housing Choice voucher has been with multiple partners, or is trying to scam the system. Some were married, but left an abusive or addicted spouse and wound up in a shelter, and then with us. Some have jobs, but can't afford rent for them and their children on their salaries alone. Some are going to school and working part-time so they can become fully self-reliant.

The world is not black and white.

Exactly.

Deep discount does not equal free. Look it up.

While I can absolutely understand what you have said, I see here where I live, unfortunetely it isn't as nice a picture as you have stated.

and lets say for arguments sake the woman had one partner but had 7 kids. If you are having a hard time supporting yourself and 2 kids, why on Earth would a person have 7. I'm sorry, I have a problem with that.

Again, like the girl in my building, she had 4 kids, didn't work, and had the nerve, yes, the nerve to have a 5th, I can't buy that......

Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
While I can absolutely understand what you have said, I see here where I live, unfortunetely it isn't as nice a picture as you have stated.

and lets say for arguments sake the woman had one partner but had 7 kids. If you are having a hard time supporting yourself and 2 kids, why on Earth would a person have 7. I'm sorry, I have a problem with that.

Again, like the girl in my building, she had 4 kids, didn't work, and had the nerve, yes, the nerve to have a 5th, I can't buy that......

I have triplets, and that was tough, and I was a single father................

Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Have you ever been to the Miami Projects?? NO!!! That is ALL GOVERNMENT HOUSING where drugs are an epidemic, crime is an epidemic, murders are epidemic.
You're comparing apples and oranges; public housing owned and operated by the local housing authority (your "government housing") and housing vouchers (privately owned "Section 8" homes licensed by the local housing authority) are not the same thing.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
The Discounts are up to the Company NOT a thing to do with the Gov or Your Taxes! I Always wanted to go back to FLA Now I really love to move there LOL BTW Gov Cell phones ONLY Allow 1 Phone per Residence! Not Everyone in the home! I pay $75 per month for Basic Cable & Economy Internet thru Comcast. I Have no Landline & to make Drs appt 1 Cell between us. I talk to my friends Online Skype has FREE Video Chat.... Look into it NOT Gov! There are tons of ways to save money Without Gov financing. When You reach My Age & are Disabled living off SS I Betting You to will be In The Gov System! After all I thinking with all the Griping you do You Must be Working Paying into the Gov programs for a time You Cant work! Why you Always putting others down is Beyond me!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
My Housing Project are NOT like that... Cause the HUD workers Follow the RULE & Kick people off the programs that break them! Sounds to me You folks need to get your Local Gov to Clean things up & Enforce the rules!

Yes I am on Section 8 I also have my OWN SSD NOT on SSI Acording to my Income I recieve $10 per month in SNAP.. WOW I was told in Fla what I pay as my part of Section 8 I would be paying FULL Rent there without Section 8 But dang the Horror Stories Nope Until You complainers Clean up Your areas I staying put! We had 1 drug bust here & 1 Shooting No one that was involved was Section 8. LL said she wish Everyone was Section 8 Her best tenants were Section 8 Monthly check deposited 1st of every month. By the 3rd ALl rents are paid! Tenants that behave! This has been in the last 5 yrs I have lived here.

Seems to me your problems are Local & only You can change things by Speaking out to your Elected Officials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting