Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Curious - which islands? There's no pet quarantine requirement in the USVI or BVI and I don't think anywhere else in the Caribbean.

Jamaica won't allow pets in from the US without prior approval from the Minister of Ag and a 6 mth quarintine.

The breeder we are getting our security dogs from said it's not worth it, most dogs don't make it past the first month. They are boarded at the airport, must remain caged and with very little human contacat. JA isn't know for it's 'love of the pet dog'. Sad...but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Jamaica won't allow pets in from the US without prior approval from the Minister of Ag and a 6 mth quarintine.

The breeder we are getting our security dogs from said it's not worth it, most dogs don't make it past the first month. They are boarded at the airport, must remain caged and with very little human contacat. JA isn't know for it's 'love of the pet dog'. Sad...but true.
Double check that information. Jamaica like most of the Caribbean is rabies-free and requires any pets incoming to have a current rabies vaccination, general health certification, etc. but I think you'll find the quarantine is TWO WEEKS, not 6 months.

PS: On research, seems that currently they only allow "imported" pets from the UK and Ireland. However, there are several organizations working to change the very archaic law to be in tune with the rest of the Caribbean nations. I guess stay tuned!

Last edited by STT Resident; 01-06-2013 at 07:23 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Double check that information. Jamaica like most of the Caribbean is rabies-free and requires any pets incoming to have a current rabies vaccination, general health certification, etc. but I think you'll find the quarantine is TWO WEEKS, not 6 months.

I'll check again, but that's what I was told by Customs last year.

I'd love to be able to bring my little guy with me.. Right now, he stays with with family while I'm there and that works out really well...but I'd love to have him with me all the time.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 AM

MOAF - Animal Health

I found this...but it could be outdated..I'll be calling Kingston on Monday morning to double check.

Sorry for the thread hijack, OP!!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 AM

^^^ see my added PS.

back2M, sorry for the slight topic divergence here!

As far as the long flight is concerned, this can be (and is done) by many with no problems. I schlepped two cats from the UK to the USA many years ago and, many years later, traveled with a dog and a cat from the US to the Caribbean. Much depends on your relationship with your cats. Some are wrapped into their relationship with their caretakers (I'm reluctant to use the word "owners"!) and mine are of that ilk but I did have one a few years ago who resolutely refused to move to a new home with the rest of them. Probably a crow's fly distance of 2-3 miles, she nonetheless TWICE took a week's trip over two mountains to go back to the old house. When she disappeared for the third time I just gave up. She'd made it back to the old house twice with not a scratch and no weight loss (I asked her if she'd hitch-hiked but she just grinned inscrutably) so made her point. No doubt all the time she'd been living with me she had a secret family who also thought she was "theirs" ...

Good luck! Oh, and have fun in those freezing Minnesota winters!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,540 times
A guy a friend knows recently moved to Hawaii and he had to leave his dogs behind ... something about a 6-month quarantine.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
A guy a friend knows recently moved to Hawaii and he had to leave his dogs behind ... something about a 6-month quarantine.
Depends on from where he was coming. If he was coming from mainland USA and many other countries, the procedure enables pets to be immediately entered:

Pet Immigration Rules Hawaii - Pet Passports Hawaii - Pet Travel

Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,207 times
Quote:
You wont' have a hard time finding a rental that takes cats.

Just curious..how much red tape is involved in the process of bringing your cat into the US?

I want to bring my dog to the islands, but he'd have to be in quarintine for 6 mths, at the airport and even then he could be turned away.
It's fairly easy to take pets from Australia to the USA because Australia does not have rabies (NONE in animals, bats etc NONE!) and alot of other diseases that animals carry. There is no quarantine, just need the vet's paperwork completed, medical check, current injections etc and costs of transport and the US will allow my cats in. Government website has all the information regarding transporting animals.

However, going from another country to Australia there is 6 months quarantine because Australia does not want Rabies introduced into the country or other diseases from Animals. We have very strict border controls and it can be very expensive to house animals in quarantine for 6 months and I would hate for any animals to be away from the owners for that long!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
It's fairly easy to take pets from Australia to the USA because Australia does not have rabies (NONE in animals, bats etc NONE!) and alot of other diseases that animals carry. There is no quarantine, just need the vet's paperwork completed, medical check, current injections etc and costs of transport and the US will allow my cats in. Government website has all the information regarding transporting animals.

However, going from another country to Australia there is 6 months quarantine because Australia does not want Rabies introduced into the country or other diseases from Animals. We have very strict border controls and it can be very expensive to house animals in quarantine for 6 months and I would hate for any animals to be away from the owners for that long!

Oh how nice for you! I wish it was that easy for me Jamaica is all a Rabie free country and they want to keep it that way.

Anyway...good luck and post an update!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,207 times
Quote:
You wont' have a hard time finding a rental that takes cats.

Just curious..how much red tape is involved in the process of bringing your cat into the US?

I want to bring my dog to the islands, but he'd have to be in quarintine for 6 mths, at the airport and even then he could be turned away.
Its pretty easy from Australia to US, just need the Vet checkup, injections and correct paperwork completed. No quarantine from AU to US.

Now if you wanted to transport from other countries to Australia that is pretty hard, expensive and 6 month quarantine. The reason why is Australia has NO RABIES in any animals, birds, bats etc. It does not exist in this country. Australia also has low rate of other diseases, our border control is really strict and other countries are aware of this so enforcement of quarantine (to US) won't apply in my case.

The easy way to find the rules/regulations is look up the government websites where you are traveling to and search animal transporation and you will get the correct information. If you can't find it that way ask the airlines to give you the agencies involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting