Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I always change them, i think like a tenant on that one. I also change all the padlocks on gates and garage. I have never had a tenant return all keys to me, ad who is to say they dont have a copy?
In three states, it's been obvious I've never gotten new keys. Heck, the last landlord pulled his personal key to the house off his key ring and handed it to me! You guys are clearly the ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
My future LL didn't plan on it but I was adamant about changing the locks. Which I have to pay myself. However they want me to give the new keys to their relatives? Not something I'm keen on.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
My future LL didn't plan on it but I was adamant about changing the locks. Which I have to pay myself. However they want me to give the new keys to their relatives? Not something I'm keen on.
Does your landlord live miles away and his relatives take care of the place for him? If that's the case then I would ask him to write a letter to you asking you to give the key to so and so and, when you hand over the key to that person, have them sign that they received it. If your LL is close by then just tell him you prefer to give the key directly to him. No excuse is necessary. What he decides to do with the key after that is up to him but isn't your responsibility.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Does your landlord live miles away and his relatives take care of the place for him? If that's the case then I would ask him to write a letter to you asking you to give the key to so and so and, when you hand over the key to that person, have them sign that they received it. If your LL is close by then just tell him you prefer to give the key directly to him. No excuse is necessary. What he decides to do with the key after that is up to him but isn't your responsibility.
The LL I'm renting from is moving to another state. However their son lives "next door" on the 5 acre property.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Sounds like the son is becoming the property manager/agent. And what STT said, the son should have a form that says they are signing that they received the keys as property manager/agent.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Seems that way, will do. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Ive spent a little bit extra and put up electronic key-pad entry locks into my rentals. I no longer have to change locks/keys, I just program a new code and disable the older one. Obviously the tennant does not get the key or the electronic locks.

Not one complaint so far.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM

470 posts, read 1,073,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Ive spent a little bit extra and put up electronic key-pad entry locks into my rentals. I no longer have to change locks/keys, I just program a new code and disable the older one. Obviously the tennant does not get the key or the electronic locks.

Not one complaint so far.
Smart!!

Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
I don't care what the law or the LL says. I'm living there and I'm changing the locks. I would be especially adamant about this if I were a single female.

Need to inspect the place? Call me or ring the door bell.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I don't care what the law or the LL says. I'm living there and I'm changing the locks. I would be especially adamant about this if I were a single female.

Need to inspect the place? Call me or ring the door bell.
That's a great way to get evicted! Its also a fantastic way to lose your security deposit!

The truth is that the tough-guy attitude is the wrong way to deal with your landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting