U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM

77 posts, read 59,581 times

Advertisements

For the last 21 years, I have lived in an apartment that opens to the outside street.

I will be moving due to rogue owners, parking issues, and noisy neighbors, but I do like the door opening to the street.

The apartment to where I will be moving has two buildings. One with doors that open outside to their enclosed premises, and the other with doors that open indoors to a hallway.

Does anyone have opinions on which is generally more desirable?

I have stated that my priority is to move to the building with the outdoor premises, but that is because this is what I am used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 PM

10 posts, read 10,662 times
This doesn't really say which is better, but I would assume with apartments that share an indoor hallway, doors would need to open to the inside to prevent doors being thrown open and hitting (and possibly hurting) unsuspecting people walking by. And life will probably be more enjoyable if your neighbors aren't bruised and annoyed

Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 AM

22,482 posts, read 27,048,543 times
What's "generally desirable" is what your personal preference is. Purely subjective.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:57 AM

8,234 posts, read 17,169,496 times
I lived in both I like open direct to outside but then I also have dogs!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 10,130,252 times
Two of my good friends each live in condo/apartments with interior hallways and their unit door entrance off the hallway. I like it. One has a parking garage where you can park right by the entrance to each floor, which is really nice for unloading groceries. The other has a garage in a separate section of the parking lot, an older building, but you can key-code in on street level and then walk to the 2nd floor on inside stairs as an option v. the exterior stairs. In cold weather, you can access the hallway and get immediate shelter before dealing with keys, etc. Also, neighbors tend to socialize a bit more, I think, in the hallways.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM

5,319 posts, read 5,575,393 times
in hotels, interior hallways are preferred due to safety. Someone has to get into the main building before they can try to gain entry into the door to the room. If there is a key needed for the main entry, then it is more secure.

For apartments, the interior hall can be nice if there is a key needed to enter the hall. Also, if it's very cold outside, the hallway is a barrier between your apartment and the outside. Your heating bills might be cheaper. In summer, the AC bills might be cheaper.

If the hallways has heat and AC, do the residents of that building pay a prorated portion of utilities for this common area? Is it only building residents or is it shared by all residents in complex.

Sound from individual units probably spreads more in the building with the internal hallway.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM

8,234 posts, read 17,169,496 times
Talked to a gf of mine she has Cats so she perfers the doors opening into Hallway... Gives her time to capture an escapee LOL Thought it was worth mentioning...

Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Status: "I wish everyone would listen to me :)" (set 15 days ago)

3,790 posts, read 1,699,951 times
doors opening into the hallway is warmer than if you have a door that opens to the outside. so that depends on your weather.. I'd rather have the hallway doors open if im in a cold climate. if im in a warm climate, I'd take the doors that open to the outside.

however, whatever feels safer to you, is the #1 priority over what I just said. In that case, I prefer a door opening to a hallway rather than opening to the outside.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM

8,253 posts, read 6,792,891 times
I wouldn't live in an apartment, but if I did, my choice would be a door to the outside with the parking arranged so my parking space was reasonably close to my door. That's for carrying in groceries and such.

Really, how much time are you going to spend walking back and forth to your door? I would not think it would make a huge difference. The majority of your time, you will either be gone or else inside. You won't be walking in and out the front door for hours on end, just for recreation.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM

6,884 posts, read 10,130,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I wouldn't live in an apartment, but if I did, my choice would be a door to the outside with the parking arranged so my parking space was reasonably close to my door. That's for carrying in groceries and such.

Really, how much time are you going to spend walking back and forth to your door? I would not think it would make a huge difference. The majority of your time, you will either be gone or else inside. You won't be walking in and out the front door for hours on end, just for recreation.
...or, if steps are not an obstacle, a folding grocery cart is a fine solution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting