Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 05:22 PM

666 posts, read 642,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Yes, you can insult me all you want, if it'll help you sleep at night, but I think here we have a case of a woman adding quite a bit of color to her story, and looking for some free monies in the process.
Funny, I was thinking, young male who's used to things going their way because, well. YM.
YMMV, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,072 times
I have been both renovator and currently renter while renovations are taking place. While we all like to live in comfort I believe there is room to communicate when excessive hammering is going take place. Has a freelancer I work from home and believe with a little thought I could be warned and take myself on a day trip while the main part of the demolition takes place.

It is what I have done for my neighbors in the past.

Meanwhile my recommendation would be to get the Voodoo dollies out, dress them up as your neighbors, and stab the hell out of them during the noise.

Wont stop the noice but will make you feel less helpless.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 628 times
I live in an area where new buildings are going up and the gas lines are being upgraded. Jack hammering starts at from around 10pm to midnight and ends about 2am. Been going on for weeks now. The first time they started at midnight and stopped at 5am. Don't they realize people have to get up and go to work and children have to go to school. None of the residents are able to sleep. Jack hammering is the worst. Their excuse for not doing it during the day is because of the traffic, meanwhile the area is not that bad and the police are involved and they can certainly help maneuver the traffic. I'm exhausted, had only 3 hours sleep (AGAIN). Tired the excuses. If our mayor thinks he's going to be re-elected, he can forget it. I can't believe how high the rents are and how horrible it is to live there. Nobody cares.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:12 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillseeker25 View Post
The apartment complex is now renovating directly below me. It literally sounds like there is someone jack hammering underneath me and I am wondering if that is what they are doing. It is a very loud vibrating sound. My building is old and there are concrete walls. Anyway, thank God I am not on nightshift or I definitely would complain. I am literally forced out of my apartment during the day because it is so obnoxious and I'm not kidding, it is nothing like outside street noise, this is soo much worse. Even though the apartment isn't physically vibrating, it sounds like it should be. Now, granted, I don't mind leaving the apartment but it begets the question. If the noise is so obnoxiously loud, that I am literally forced out of my own living quarters, do you think there is any legal action I could take? Could I present my case to management and ask them to cut my rent a few hundred bucks? I currently pay 840$ for a single bedroom which is extremely pricey, but not so much for the area. I pay my electric and heat. New management took over this building when I signed up and the new company has money (hence the renovations). So, I was thinking, since I am basically putting up with this ridiculousness in order for the company to eventually reap the benefits by charging even more rent in the future, isn't it only right of me to ask for a cut in rent while this is going on? If so, how much should I ask for? If they say no, is there any legal ramifications? I am trying to get some documentation of the noise in my apartment just in case.

I have no idea how long this is going to take either...
You can ask for reduced rent or a trip to Mars, doesn't mean they have to give it, As long as they got permits and are not doing it from 10PM to 8AM or whatever the permit says it's fine.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillseeker25 View Post
The apartment complex is now renovating directly below me. It literally sounds like there is someone jack hammering underneath me and I am wondering if that is what they are doing. It is a very loud vibrating sound. My building is old and there are concrete walls. Anyway, thank God I am not on nightshift or I definitely would complain. I am literally forced out of my apartment during the day because it is so obnoxious and I'm not kidding, it is nothing like outside street noise, this is soo much worse. Even though the apartment isn't physically vibrating, it sounds like it should be. Now, granted, I don't mind leaving the apartment but it begets the question. If the noise is so obnoxiously loud, that I am literally forced out of my own living quarters, do you think there is any legal action I could take? Could I present my case to management and ask them to cut my rent a few hundred bucks? I currently pay 840$ for a single bedroom which is extremely pricey, but not so much for the area. I pay my electric and heat. New management took over this building when I signed up and the new company has money (hence the renovations). So, I was thinking, since I am basically putting up with this ridiculousness in order for the company to eventually reap the benefits by charging even more rent in the future, isn't it only right of me to ask for a cut in rent while this is going on? If so, how much should I ask for? If they say no, is there any legal ramifications? I am trying to get some documentation of the noise in my apartment just in case.

I have no idea how long this is going to take either...
They most likely have the right to do renovations and it’s most likely written in your lease. As long as they are doing the work within whatever hours are allowed (typically 7 am to 7 pm) there isn’t much you can do. Some cities have stricter ordinances like 8-5 only.
You can call and complain if they go past the allowed times for your city.

But reduced rent? I doubt you’ll get it. I have never offered reduced rent to any tenants when doing any repairs. What I offer is a refund of the days that they were moved out on a prorated basis. There would also be a additional mileage reimbursement if they had to drive from a further distance to get to work. So say a bathroom remodel took a week....say the prorated amount came to $300. And say they had to drive a additional 100 miles that week to get to work. I would reimburse .50 cents a mile. They pay the full month rent like normal. I in turn will send a refund check with a itemized stub as to why they are getting the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting