Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 PM

16 posts, read 83,978 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I hate my apartment. It is on a 7th floor walkup, has mice! And just so depressing. I have my lease till June! but I want to move out now! (or Feb or March) Anytime that is early as possible.

But I can't pay for this current apartment and the new apartment, and won't get back my deposit...What do I do?

I am just so miserable here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemyplace View Post
I have my lease till June but I want to move out now. Anytime that is early as possible.
Do you know what the law in your area actually requires or allows for? (links above)
Have you talked to your landlord?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM

667 posts, read 1,848,697 times
If my tenant wanted to move early, I would probably work something out with them. I just wouldn't want an unhappy tenant in my apartment, sticking out to the end the lease period resentfully. Why don't you ask your landlord?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I hate my apartment. It is on a 7th floor walkup, has mice! And just so depressing. I have my lease till June! but I want to move out now! (or Feb or March) Anytime that is early as possible.

But I can't pay for this current apartment and the new apartment, and won't get back my deposit...What do I do?

I am just so miserable here.
I have been there. In fact, I am currently in a similar situation. Well, for me, I love my current place but it is just too small, and I am stuck here until August, and that's just the way it is. We accepted it in the 1st place because it was charming and in a perfect location and we were not able to find anything bigger, but after a year I feel like I am going to burst from the space issues. And, we've found bigger options nearby that weren't available when we first found this place, so it is very very tempting.

However, we'll stick it out. The risks are just too great; losing the deposit is tolerable, for me, it wasn't huge anyway. It's the possibility of being sued for the remaining rent for the rest of the lease, having a broken lease put on my credit record, all those things are just not worth pushing the issue for me because they are serious and will definitely make it harder to rent in the future.

For us, I know the property management company will hold us to the lease and not let us out early. It may be different if you are dealing with an individual or you are in an area where the place could be rented out quickly after you move so I agree with the previous posts that you should at least ask your landlord.

You should definitely attempt to have something done about the mice though. It's a health and safety issue. Does your landlord know?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for the reply!

I haven't talked to my landlord because they're the typical strict landlord. As for the mice issue, it's an old building and it's 'our' problem. Ugh.The building doesn't care. And no matter how much I clean or how much we cover the holes, they keep coming because of the holes behind the stove. We can't move the stove.

Sabride, We found an apt and want to get it, but we have this one. I don't know how to stick it out, I am coming back depressed because I hate my apartment and there's nothing I can do.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, thanks for the reply!

I haven't talked to my landlord because they're the typical strict landlord. As for the mice issue, it's an old building and it's 'our' problem. Ugh.The building doesn't care. And no matter how much I clean or how much we cover the holes, they keep coming because of the holes behind the stove. We can't move the stove.

Sabride, We found an apt and want to get it, but we have this one. I don't know how to stick it out, I am coming back depressed because I hate my apartment and there's nothing I can do.
What's it like where you live? Is it going to be hard for the landlord to rent your place right away, or relatively easy?

If it is going to be hard, and you tell him you are unhappy there and why, maybe it would at least convince him to fix the mouse problem rather than have an empty apartment.

If it is going to be easy for him to find new tenants, you never know, he might be willing to work something out. I guess my point is, there is not much harm in asking.

I know how it sucks. That's the thing about renting. Often times it is too late to do anything about it once we realize we've rented a place that is making us unhappy, but the flip side is to go with a shorter lease which for me creates a feeling of insecurity as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
What's it like where you live? Is it going to be hard for the landlord to rent your place right away, or relatively easy?

If it is going to be hard, and you tell him you are unhappy there and why, maybe it would at least convince him to fix the mouse problem rather than have an empty apartment.

If it is going to be easy for him to find new tenants, you never know, he might be willing to work something out. I guess my point is, there is not much harm in asking.

I know how it sucks. That's the thing about renting. Often times it is too late to do anything about it once we realize we've rented a place that is making us unhappy, but the flip side is to go with a shorter lease which for me creates a feeling of insecurity as well.
It's hard to rent. It's Prewar building, it's a decent price but the place is SMALL. Very small. I would imagine it's hard to rent. It's in the chinatown area in NYC, so the landlords are strict about the money BUT, they don't care to maintain the building. it's my mistake of course for taking this apt in the first place cause I moved here for the first time and took the first apt I saw.

I don't think I can transfer the lease or anything... which really bites at me.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
If you are on the 7th floor and have mice, the entire building is infested. Talk to your landlord. It's a health hazard. Do your neighbors have mice...yes. If nothing else the health department could inspect and help you get rid of the problem.
You need to let you LL know you want to leave and bite the bullit on losing the deposit. Make an agreement about leaving and help to find a new tenant.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM

155 posts, read 564,261 times
I see June 5 months away, time will fly, and I bet when you move you will find something wrong with the new property.

Put out a mouse trap, and quit feeding them, I am sure the LL has a no pet policy....

I'd hate a 7 story walk up also, but then you knew it before you rented it..

I understand how you feel, things will get better...

Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,186 times
Send a certified letter to the LL about the mice infestation.

A conversation can be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting