U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 AM

1,073 posts, read 725,951 times
Default Constant shutting off water

I have lived in the same apartment for the last 5 years, and it's been fine, EXCEPT ever since Christmas 2011, we have had our water constantly being shut off between 10 am and 4pm "for repairs" over 30 times during that span For a while there it was 2 to 3 times a week, but the last year it's been every 10 days to 2 weeks!! I am home during the day, and to not be able to flush the toilet (i have colitis) or wash, or anything is beyond frustrating and ridiculous!! I call the office and all I get are the phony apologies of the indiffeent staff. I go up the ladder and all they say is they will end my lease for me. I'm getting so sick and tired of every time I open my door I see a shut off notice again!! It's actually closer to 40 times in14 months. It seems the pipes are constantly "breaking" or need maintainance. I asked for credit when I had to go to someones house to shower or use the toilet, but they refused.. I wonder what other recourse I have. Otherwise this place would be almost perfect, but this water thing is beyond ridiculous!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM

16,344 posts, read 18,905,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I am home during the day...
How many other tenants are home during the day? I bet it's a whole lot fewer.

Point? Your LL is involved with a substantial, expensive project that takes time and is a PITA.
And, plumbers generally work daytime hours Monday through Friday.

What's the alternative for the LL?
Would you rather come in here and be complaining about dirty water?
You can be sure that the LL wants to be doing this even less than you.

Quote:
I wonder what other recourse I have.
Otherwise this place would be almost perfect...
Your recourse is to ask them to let you out of your lease.
You can probably get that (for cause) without any repercussion.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM

7,631 posts, read 4,877,129 times
Would you prefer that the defective plumbing not be repaired? It would be more convenient for you to have something break in the middle of the night and have the water shut off that way with no notice? Perhaps for several days?

There is absolutely no reason to not be able to flush the toilet. You are getting a notice that the water will be off, so what you are supposed to do is to fill some jugs with water that you can use to cook with, brush your teeth, and flush the toilet.

They have offered to let you out of your lease. If you can't live with the plumbing repairs, tell them "thank you', pack up your stuff, and move to a newer building.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM

808 posts, read 1,367,456 times
No matter what happens, people just love to complain. Whether its a micromanaging landlord complaining about a tenant not living their life to the LL's specification, or a tenant complaining about something not working, or the inconvenience of repairing something that's not working. People love to complain.

I can guarantee you that they are not shutting off the water to mess with you, they are shutting it down to fix and repair the pipes, at great cost to them.

So they give you notice that your water will get shut off, and you make ZERO preparations for it? How about filling the tub all the way up, and leaving a bucket nearby to flush the toilet? How about filling up some jugs so you can have water to wash your hands? Do the dishes? Brush your teeth?

Quote:
I wonder what other recourse I have
You could start by making preparations as I outlined above. Or, you could take them up on ending your lease and move somewhere else, where surely, you will find more stuff to complain about.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM

1,073 posts, read 725,951 times
Wow tough crowd!! I bet if you worked third shift and had your water off 40 times in 13 months, you'd be a tad miffed. They keep saying its to FIX the plumbing-well the FIX it. I can see once every so often because that's life, but almost weekly?? I bet even you saints would be a bit irritated. Geez

Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 AM

20,519 posts, read 22,551,554 times
Quote:
Wow tough crowd!! I bet if you worked third shift and had your water off 40 times in 13 months, you'd be a tad miffed. They keep saying its to FIX the plumbing-well the FIX it. I can see once every so often because that's life, but almost weekly?? I bet even you saints would be a bit irritated. Geez
I'm inclined to agree with you. Maybe the other posters haven't taken into account that this has been going on for over a year now and that the problem has escalated.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM

204 posts, read 240,826 times
It sounds like a really tough situation; I can't imagine having my water shut off once a week, once a month would be annoying to me. That being said it doesn't sound like they are going to offer you a break in the rent, but they are willing to let you out of the lease. Have you asked for an end date for the plumbing repairs? If the management won't give you answer, ask the plumbers when you see them.

My suggestion: start packing all you non-essentials, patch/paint holes in the wall, find a new place, give them notice, move, leave that place spotless, get your security deposit back, and move on with your life.

Be proactive! If the situation isn't going to change and they've provided you with an out, take it. Moving is annoying and difficult, but it seems to me to be your best option. Or you could stay and complain and be inconvenienced for the unforseen future.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM

16,344 posts, read 18,905,814 times
Quote:
Wow tough crowd!!
It's not about being tough... it's about describing where the foul lines are.
You need to accept responsibility for being the outlier in this too.

Quote:
I bet if you worked third shift (and had colitis)... you'd be a tad miffed.
I'd be more than miffed.

After the second event I'd also have pressed for specific information on the nature and timeline for
the project and I'd have done so in writing. Based on their written statements and/or commitments
then made the tough decision about what was facing me.

I might have also met with others in the development to face the LL as a group...

If I valued being there as much as you appear to (despite what your user name implies)...
I'd have done the Boy Scout thing with water jugs and such --that I'm absolutely certain you
were advised to do-- or I'd have packed it in and moved on.

hth

Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM

8,015 posts, read 15,584,648 times
Are they Remodleing Upgrading different units?

1. Move
2. Fill jugs bath tub buckets pot pans Anything that holds water

At least you are fore warned!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM

493 posts, read 355,899 times
What kind of plumbing project takes over a year to complete? That is screwy. I would seriously consider taking them up on the offer to break the lease early without penalty. If they have to fix it that many times, I bet they can't afford to pay for a real fix and are just patching it up over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting