U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM

281 posts, read 268,790 times

Advertisements

One of my Grandchildren makes $16,000 a year (as a FULL TIME Grocery Checkout Clerk), before taxes and is single. She has been living at home but now wants to move by herself into an apartment.

She lives in a relatively low cost of living town but can't find an one bedroom apartment for under $650 a month that is safe from crime. They told her she needed to make a monthly income of at least $1900 a month. She makes $1330 a month gross.

Yes, she could get a roommate but I wonder how the countless other people who are single can get into an apartment? Does every poor single person get a number of roommates? Is there a way someone who only makes $8.00 an hour can get into a safe apartment complex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM

22,480 posts, read 27,048,543 times
She'd probably be better off and have more options if she got a second part time job to boost her income.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:22 PM

17,598 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Does every poor single person get a number of roommates?
Not all. But the ones who want a decent place and time for more than work will.

And even once she can afford the rent all on her own...
if she wants to save down payment and purchase money she'll keep having room mates.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM

832 posts, read 1,739,558 times
Quote:
Yes, she could get a roommate but I wonder how the countless other people who are single can get into an apartment? Does every poor single person get a number of roommates? Is there a way someone who only makes $8.00 an hour can get into a safe apartment complex?
You never once mention this person's age, which is very important in order to put things in context.
The truth is that $8.00/hr is entry level income at best, an amount of money that should suffice for a high-school or college student who is still living at home, or has another way to supplement their income or share costs (wealthy parents, student loans, roomates, ect). Basically, minimum wage is not truly a livable-income, its more of a survivalble-income. So yes, sacrifices have to be made, such as living with roomates, living at home to save up money, or living in areas where the rent is cheap enough to make it till end of month. I'm not sure what your standards are for a "safe apartment complex", but I can guarantee you that making it alone on that kind of income is going to set the bar pretty low.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 PM

494 posts, read 833,688 times
Even in low COL states, I wouldn't recommend it. It's really only enough to squeak by and with the mindset that you willl have sacarfice a lot to live. I used to be on such a wage, in fact, even lower at 7.50, and it was hard. Only way I made it was living with my mom the whole time I was employed on that wage. Sure, I could've found a roommate and moved into a apartment and what not, but I didn't want to sign a lease knowing that the job I had wasn't going to be a permanent solution for me.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 PM

241 posts, read 300,085 times
Assuming that she is young and just starting out, I'm guessing independance is the important issue. Maybe she would do better looking for a small studio apt. Roommate situations can go really bad for a first time away from the nest. Even a room for rent might work better for a while.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,284,509 times
A high school diploma generally doesn't cut it anymore. Even those with college degrees often have to be very talented and in the top of their class to work in competitive fields.

There are jobs out there even starting out that can pay substantially more--but additional assets are required. An attractive young woman? Think waitress at an upscale restaurant, or stripper even... Willing to get her hands dirty? Maybe factory work. Smart? Personal Assistant. Engaging, ambitious, and attractive? Business to business sales. Extra side jobs making $8-15 an hour cleaning, running errands, walking dogs, shouldn't be terribly difficult to acquire for someone that really values living alone. She could also move to a more affordable location--they exist.

The sense of entitlement that everyone should be able to afford a place of their own, continues to stun me.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM

28,114 posts, read 24,084,256 times
Quote:

That's how the ENTIRE WORLD does it...this is the only country where people are so financially illiterate and entitled they think that they HAVE TO live all by themselves.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 AM

4,786 posts, read 6,297,931 times
There's nothing wrong with wanting to live alone. None of my kids had roommates and they all lived on their since they were 19 yrs old.

The graduated high school early and went right to college. They were able to find jobs in the medical field that paid well and offered them full time with benefits. They are back in college, but this time their employer is footing the bill.

It can be done, if you want it bad enough.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 AM

281 posts, read 268,790 times
There are tons of single people making under $20K a year who need a place to live, where do they go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting