U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM

18 posts, read 39,449 times
Default Landlord refuses to provide rent receipts

Hi, I rent an illegal apartment in smithtown ny. The landlord demands cash and refuses to provide a receipt. (I just found out that was illegal and I could have called the police. I had no idea.)

I have lived here for six years, paying over a thousand a month. In this last year I was laid off and my unemployment ran out. I'm a licensed broker but I'm older and partially disabled. Its been a ****** finding another position.

I went to social services for temporary assistance when my unemployment ran out. I was DENIED because I could not provide rent receipts. The landlord it seems is a LONG TIME tax evader and refused.

They offered however, to try to find a way to provide documentation to me such that I COULD go to social services and get help... I've been waiting for them to provide this documentation for MONTHS now.

FINALLY, yesterday, instead of some kind of letter I can take to social services, they evicted me.

I am OUT almost of years worth of benefits and now that I am flat broke BECAUSE of the lack of cooperation on their part to provide PROOF that I live here and pay rent, I am about to be homeless.

And FURTHER, I don't even think the place has a certificate of occupancy. It is NOT sealed from the crawlspace below and they have ignored by request for help with a rodent problem for years.

I have paid these people IN CASH, over 72 thousand dollars THAT i HAVE paid my due taxes on for several years. I heard of someone suing for all that money back.

What are my options. I am very angry right now. My life is destroyed because I rented from these people. Anyone else would have just given me the damn receipts or documentation and I would have been paying my bills all this time instead of now, my being in arrears in just about everything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM

17,194 posts, read 21,839,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtownny View Post
I rent an illegal apartment in smithtown ny. The landlord demands cash...
I have lived here for six years, paying over a thousand a month.
In this last year I was laid off and my unemployment ran out.

I went to social services for temporary assistance when my unemployment ran out.
I was DENIED because I could not provide rent receipts.

What are my options.
Do you have any OTHER receipts (like utility bills) that show you live(d) there and how long?
Do you have any records showing that $1000 per month going through your accounts?

Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM

822 posts, read 1,591,984 times
I certainly hope you keep us updated on how this works out.

I believe that yes, you can sue for all that money back... actually getting a check for that much is a totally different story.

I understand that you are broke, but maybe paying for a consultation with a proper real estate lawyer would be a good investment at this point.

There are also ways that you can make your LL's life miserable, letting the government know about the illegal apartment would be a first step. Also they can't just evict you at the drop of a hat, you should be able to stay there rent-free for a while. Even once the eviction goes to court, you can file for postponement and delay eviction proceedings another while. Not something I would normally recommend, but really, what do you have to lose? Actually, SCRATCH that. Its an illegal apartment, I think you can stay there for a loooooong, looooooong time without paying.. what is the LL going to do? evict you? out of an illegal apartment? LOL

Also, no matter how angry you are, THINK TWICE about what you do. Dropping cement down the pipes, or engaging in other property destruction behavior can really, really, come back and bite you in the ass.

Best of luck man, life has ups and downs, this will pass and things will get better.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM

8,905 posts, read 9,991,162 times
You're a broker and paid cash for rent with no receipts and didn't think anything was unusual? On Long Island, the Land of the Illegal Apartment? Come on dude.

Best bet now is revenge. Turn him into the Town of Smithtown building department and the IRS.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM

9,717 posts, read 6,537,967 times
smithtownny sorry to hear of your troubles...of course your landlord won't give you receipts if it's for an "illegal" suite...I'm amazed you paid cash for several years and never figured that out..Was your landlord good to you? It must have been an ok place for you to stay so long...I think it's mean to turn the landlord in, it's not his/her fault your ui ran out, and you did have a place to stay all those years.( there are LOTS of people renting illegal suites or rooms to make ends meet) Either way, you're going to have to find a new place to stay by the sounds of it, and hopefully in your next place you'll either pay by check, or at least get a receipt...now you know why.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM

21,635 posts, read 25,212,126 times
I'm totally gobsmacked that you paid over $1K a month in cash period, let alone that you never got a receipt. I'm not sure what the poster who said you can get back the rent you paid is basing this on but from my experience that's just not true. Illegal apartment or not, you lived there for six years and no judge is going to rule that you'll get that money returned.

You're not flat broke because of anything to with the rent you've been paying. You're flat broke because you were laid off from your job and your unemployment compensation ran out.

You can waste a lot of time and energy pursuing the landlord but it's not going to make things any easier for you.

You need to go back to social services and see what they can do for you and you also need to see if you can file for extended unemployment benefits. Again, try and see things from a better and more realistic perspective. Your landlord may well be a scofflaw with an illegal apartment but he's not the root cause of the current situation.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM

hi. yes, I have a string of auto insurance, home-renters insurance, voter's id cards all showing long term residence here and even some receipts from the beginning years. I can also show regular withdrawals for the rent amount I'm claiming. I also have emails from the land lord's daughter in law, discussing the rent and the refusal to sign receipts.. so I CAN establish things..

When I asked for receipts on a regular basis, I watched the level of panic on their faces and their adamant invitation for me to leave the apartment I had just moved into if I ever asked for a receipt again.... I didn't expect this though...

Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM

I was laid off, yes, but I was entitled to years of temporary assistance that would have kept me afloat and if I had been given receipts, I WOULD NOT BE FLAT BROKE! get it? The difference is nominal if you are salaried, but if you are unemployed, the difference between NO INCOME and JUST ENOUGH to get by is a BIG DEAL. Justsayin.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM

and I'll bet they didn't expect how angry you are towards them just because you've fallen on hard times...STT Resident is exactly right when he says your landlord is "not the root cause of the current situation". I find it sad that you would now turn on them, but then I guess it's true when they say misery likes company.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM

For 7 years you didn't get receipts smithtownny...who's fault is that? You're flat broke because you let it slide for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting