Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Mid-March or Late March?

Asking because this is my 1st time going from one APT to another

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
If your lease ends on May 31st then obviously you'd presumably rather not end up paying double rent. Sometimes that's unavoidable. If you find an apartment in March and you're in a market where rentals move quickly, a new landlord isn't going to lose a month or two's rent holding the place for you and neither is your present landlord going to lose the rent due under the lease agreement you have with him. You can't have it both ways and sometimes it's necessary to pay rent on two places.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Remember too that usually to move into a new apartment you'll need in many places to have three months rent upfront - first month, last month and one month's security deposit. You may do a little better with a private landlord than with a property management company but you need to take this into consideration.

I'm sure you've already figured moving costs into your budget; but don't forget utility, cable, internet deposits and any new installation fees associated with cable, telephone/internet. If you currently have accounts with the same providers and the new location is set up for them, you may avoid additional charges but should nevertheless take them into account when planning your move.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
It depends upon your local market. If you live in a university town, the good places are already booked for next year.

If you are in my town, you start looking about 30 days before the move. No landlord is going to hold a vacancy for you for more than a few days and there is no way to know if there will be a vacancy next June.

I don't know what they do in Philadelphia.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It depends upon your local market. If you live in a university town, the good places are already booked for next year.

If you are in my town, you start looking about 30 days before the move. No landlord is going to hold a vacancy for you for more than a few days and there is no way to know if there will be a vacancy next June.

I don't know what they do in Philadelphia.

I will get more agressive with 60 days from now.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
Philadelphia Apartments for Rent - Philadelphia, PA on MyNewPlace

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 244,122 times
I usually look 2 months in advance, so I say late march/beginning of April.
Sometimes you find a place right away that's either vacant or will be soon and usually the managements aren't willing to wait a month or more for you to move in, but private landlords might be more lenient.
Best of luck on your apartment hunt.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPeachy View Post
I usually look 2 months in advance, so I say late march/beginning of April.
Sometimes you find a place right away that's either vacant or will be soon and usually the managements aren't willing to wait a month or more for you to move in, but private landlords might be more lenient.
Best of luck on your apartment hunt.

private landlords will be the goal. thanks

Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
You should LOOK as soon as possible, to get the feel for various areas and costs. But as I private landlord I am pretty irritated when I have my place up for rent and someone who is not moving for 4 months contacts me to come see it, or to just get a feel for what places are going for and what they can expect.

Really? Do you think it will still be available in 4 months when its move in ready now? Please don't waste my time. Only call if you are in the month just before the move in date. Do the research online and don't pester people who are looking for a NOW tenant. Its one thing to contact a property manager who has several rentals and may have something open when you are ready to move, its another to expect a private person with maybe one or two rentals to leave their full time job to show you a house you have no intention of ever moving into.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
In my experience, most places seem to get advertised between 15 and 45 days before the lease start date, with a bulk in the 25-30 day period before the lease start.

Private landlords rarely have a place advertised 60 days out, around here anyways.

Start looking 60 days out, but really get on it before the 30 day mark hits, hopefully find a place and give notice to your landlord. Remember to carry a check with you so you can leave a deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting