Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 AM

8 posts, read 244,125 times

Advertisements

Few months ago new tenants moved in adjacent to my apartment.
Six people (4 kids and 2 adults) occupy a two bedroom/one bathroom apartment.

Doesn't that exceed the legal occupancy limit? This is NJ

I normally wouldn't care if so and so number of people were in a small apartment but this family is beyond loud. They have a baby that's around four months and they seem to be trying the cry it out method. The baby cries at random hours throughout the night which wouldn't bother me as much because babies cry, it's a way of life but no one tends to her, she cries and cries, and it only gets louder as time goes by that lasts for a good 20 minutes... In the middle of the night when we're all trying to sleep.
Not to mention their 3 other kids are obnoxiously loud until 2am every day and it starts all over again at 6am.
If I'm not hearing thumping from them running, jumping or dragging, I'm hearing high pitch tantrum screams for attention for 30 minutes at a time, multiple times a day.

It's driving all the neighbors surrounding this offending family crazy.
If they exceed the legal occupancy limit, is it grounds for eviction?

Kids and noise complaints seem to be such a touchy subject, if your suggestion is for everyone around this tenant to move, keep that to yourself please.
We pay good money to have quiet time and to live in peace, not be subjected to people who can't control their kids.

Last edited by FuzzyPeachy; 01-29-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
You'll find a general ruling here:

New Jersey Housing Occupancy Limits: How Many People is Too Many? - New Jersey Real Estate Attorney Blog

but this depends on the particular municipality, age and sex of the children, etc. In any event, this is an issue for the landlord of the unit. Your approach should first be to your LL whether or not he's also the LL of this adjoining unit.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 AM

2 posts, read 79,107 times
I don't know about zoning laws but I do know that you can call in an anonymous tip to child protective services.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgraichen View Post
I don't know about zoning laws but I do know that you can call in an anonymous tip to child protective services.
To sic CPS on a family is a horrible suggestion unless there is proof or an extremely strong suspicion of abuse!
And if the OP is going to be honest, how many kids are there, or their welfare, is not even her concern....it's just the noise, which could be the same if only two kids were there.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
To sic CPS on a family is a horrible suggestion unless there is proof or an extremely strong suspicion of abuse!
I agree. A crying baby and other children noisily running around isn't cause for any such drastic action.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You'll find a general ruling here:

New Jersey Housing Occupancy Limits: How Many People is Too Many? - New Jersey Real Estate Attorney Blog

but this depends on the particular municipality, age and sex of the children, etc. In any event, this is an issue for the landlord of the unit. Your approach should first be to your LL whether or not he's also the LL of this adjoining unit.
Thank you for your reply, I read that site and it seems they cannot live in a two bedroom.
The baby is a girl, while the other 3 are boys (I can't say for sure but one looks around 3-4, and the other two anywhere between 8-12).
I personally haven't approached the management, the family that lives below them has.
I can't imagine what they hear and feel when the children are running around late at night.
She told me the management told her that she can move to another available unit, which I thought was absurd because she's resided there for years while the upstairs moved in two months ago and causing a lot of ruckus.
She's also tried to talk to the family upstairs but the lady tells her to deal with it...
I only share a wall with this family, but living below them must be like a war zone.

And about calling CPS, I personally do not know these people, only seen them in the parking lots and stuff.
While I do think the kids could use some discipline and the parents cuss at their children all the time, I wouldn't go that far.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM

281 posts, read 750,393 times
The apartment I moved to has a sign that says the maximum number of people in a two bedroom apartment is four. But I suspect that if four people moved in and the mother had twins they would not kick them out but once the lease is up they may not renew it.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,848 times
I would notify the LL in writing, but be specific of times and I wouldn't complain about "normal" activity.

One person complains it might be questioned. Two or more, it should be considered.

You probably should plan to move when your lease is up.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
The apartment I moved to has a sign that says the maximum number of people in a two bedroom apartment is four. But I suspect that if four people moved in and the mother had twins they would not kick them out but once the lease is up they may not renew it.

Our has the same sign and they enforce it!

I had a lady and her two sons move in below me a couple of years ago. About 8mths later another lady and her older teen daughter moved in...now that was 2 adult females, 1 older teen female and 2 minor males...where were they all sleeping in a 2 bed unit? I don't care, I didn't care and I didn't call the manager about them either ( if they were being bothersome, then yes, I would.)

They lived like this for about 12 mths and then a new manager took over and she really really took the reins and we lost a lot of tenants....including my neighbor below me. They were given a 3 day notice and they were gone. I have no idea how they found them out, they were quiet and clean so who knows.

I know here in fl the housing laws say 2 per bedroom...but that doesnt' apply to homeowners or private landlords...only complexes and property management companies.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Yeah I suspect that too but this family moved in as 6...
I'm guessing they fibbed on the number of people residing on the application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting