Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times

Advertisements

I had a similar situation in on of my first apartments in the 80's.
LL's love these tenants because they charge gov agencies 3-4x more than the property is worth otherwise, thats why they are reluctant to get rid of them no matter what other tenants think. There are rights to quiet comfort for everyone, you just need to find which one applies to your case and try to use it to remedy this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Any reason you haven't called the police? If then noise is reverberating through your apartment, call them out and also explain your concern about your neighbor's ability to live independently.
Police will only respond to calls of this nature (and only have any jurisdiction over) excessive noise which is outside of the hours established under local ordinances.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Police will only respond to calls of this nature (and only have any jurisdiction over) excessive noise which is outside of the hours established under local ordinances.
if it sounds like she is wreaking the apt they will come and cheack it out

Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 AM

419 posts, read 907,131 times
You need to take MULTIPLE actions, not just any one thing mentioned so far. Start calling the police, and do it enough that the whole situation is front and center on their radar.

Write the landlord a firm but polite letter in which you make it clear you will be filing a lawsuit against him for not providing "reasonable quite and peace" in the building.

Every city has specific language that requires landlords to maintain a certain level of quiet and by not doing so, he opens himself up to legal action. Notify the city that the landlord is in violation and insist they take also take action. Let the landlord know you are asking the city to investigate.

Become a royal pain in the ass, and you'll see results. You won't make friends, but you'll get results. Otherwise, prepare to deal with this hell for the balance of your lease.

I have dealt with stuff like this a few times and can tell you if you are working the problem from every angle you will get relief...Either in the form of a release from your lease or the lady will be moved.

Just understand, this is currently your problem, you need to make it the LANDLORD'S PROBLEM. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
Looks like a no-win situation for you. I'd start looking for a new place, while, like said above, making this the LL's problem as well.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Since the noise didn't start until a month after you moved in, you did something to tick her off. Since she is banging on her ceiling when you do anything noisy, I am going to guess that anything you do reverberates inside her apartment and she has turned the TV up to drown out any noise you make.

In some buildings, the upstairs doesn't have to do anything unusual to have noise amplified into the downstairs unit. So I am not accusing you of being inconsiderate.

Personally, I would be speaking to her caretakers that you say are there twice a day.

Request that the landlord transfer you to a different unit. If he won't, and the noise is television and it is off during the legal quiet hours, there is probably nothing you can do but leave at the end of your lease.

She's been there a long time. It is possible that the landlord has previously tried to get her out and failed. If she is under the court's protection and supervision, then she has a lot of government paid lawyers to take her case at no charge to her. At any rate, he is not going to do anything about her.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
if it sounds like she is wreaking the apt they will come and cheack it out
And if they come out and find that she's not wrecking anything they will talk to her and walk away.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM

31 posts, read 216,155 times
Thank you all for your responses. I have read through each of them. I have some good news to share. The landlord phoned me this morning to let me know that he has given her an official warning to turn the tv down and to stop banging on the walls and ceiling. Apparently the tenant who lives next door to her downstairs is having the same problems out of her, and has had her walls banged on.

It is good to know that I have another credible witness to this and now things are in motion. I don't know for certain if he has contacted her care takers, I do hope he has.

As of today, it has been peaceful here!

I am hoping this is the resolution to the trouble here. To be honest, I have nothing against this woman and would hope that if she stays here, we can get to know one another and can at least be friendly when we see each other this spring and summer. We have a very nice lawn in front to sit out on and getting along with my neighbor is a plus to that.

Thank you all again, and I will bookmark my thread so that if this goes south again, I can heed some of your advice here. I appreciate it!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM

31 posts, read 216,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since the noise didn't start until a month after you moved in, you did something to tick her off. Since she is banging on her ceiling when you do anything noisy, I am going to guess that anything you do reverberates inside her apartment and she has turned the TV up to drown out any noise you make.

In some buildings, the upstairs doesn't have to do anything unusual to have noise amplified into the downstairs unit. So I am not accusing you of being inconsiderate.
You could be right. Apparently I did something that she did not like. I know that on my end I have tried hard to be respectful and walk quietly. I have pretty much trained myself to walk softly due to my years as living on a 2nd floor and suffering the heavy footed walkers above me. Because of the things I experienced with tenants above me, I'm conscious of what I do now because I understand how loud it can be on top of someone else!

I remember the days of party people, dishwashers, treadmills, and a Wii hooked up to a stereo going on in the middle of the night Back then I was much younger and more tolerant of this and got by somehow!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taissa View Post
....I remember the days of party people, dishwashers, treadmills, and a Wii hooked up to a stereo going on in the middle of the night Back then I was much younger and more tolerant of this and got by somehow!....
What was tolerable in youth can seem like a form of terrorism when one gets well past 30, but then again some noisy people are truly evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting