Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,421 times

Advertisements

Just a quick, hypothetical question to the board..

say you have had bad tenants, they were almost evicted, but ended up leaving after non-renewal of lease (with 14 days hold-over, among other problems). I would never rent to this family again...

now, Im looking at another person within this very same family, say an uncle; wanting to put in an application. This entire family is now known for scamming, and keeping bad company and always getting evicted/non-renewed.

Would you even process this application or consider renting to their extended family? At what point do you cross the line between "never renting to these people again" and discrimination? Would you even accept their application at all? Accept it but shelf it? Deny them outright?

Again, this is hypothetical, and I'm trying to figure out how exactly the law considers cases like this.

Also, this is a two unit duplex, with the owner residing on the top floor. I mention this because discrimination clauses work very differently within these circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Take the application and don't process it. They'll move on.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Would you even process this application or consider renting to their extended family?
Does your desk fit tightly against the wall?
Mine doesn't... and I'm always having things drop down behind it.

Sometimes that can be real annoying.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Why are you even asking. Reject them.

Now, and I mean right now, take out your written criteria and add :"Applicant can be rejected for a bad personal reference, which includes known close association with a tenant who has been asked to leave for cause or with persons known to have a criminal record or to engage in criminal activity."

Then, you write on the top if the application "Rejected for close association with a tenant asked to leave for cause".

(There really should be a place on your application for personal references, even of you never run personal references when you screen)

Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM

912 posts, read 5,259,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Why are you even asking. Reject them.

Now, and I mean right now, take out your written criteria and add :"Applicant can be rejected for a bad personal reference, which includes known close association with a tenant who has been asked to leave for cause or with persons known to have a criminal record or to engage in criminal activity."

Then, you write on the top if the application "Rejected for close association with a tenant asked to leave for cause".

(There really should be a place on your application for personal references, even of you never run personal references when you screen)
This seems to be exactly, 100% what I was looking for. Many thanks to everybody who replied.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Blood doesnt mean trouble. Take the app carefully check ALL ref cr crimanal etc

Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Blood doesnt mean trouble. Take the app carefully check ALL ref cr crimanal etc
This ^^^. One of my SIL is a total scumbag, and I'd hate to be painted with the same brush. Might depend how "close" these relatives seem to be with each other.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
In a small town this probably happens more often than in a larger place. It has happened to me a couple of times over the past few years but I assumed that the extended family just wanted to continue the destruction their cousins started. I've even had the same family come back to me using another family member's name.

This happened again when I finally decided to sell the rental. The mother of a guy I had to go through the full eviction process several years ago for non-payment of rent came to me wanting to buy the house. As the old saying goes, "The nut doesn't fall far from the tree" but more to the point, as Nancy Reagan once said, "Just say no."

Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post

say you have had bad tenants, they were almost evicted, but ended up leaving after non-renewal of lease (with 14 days hold-over, among other problems). I would never rent to this family again...

Ok I believe you answered the question yourself!

Really who can accuse you of discrimination...discrimination is based on religion, race, etc. not on pas experience with bad tenants and being associated by blood and close relatives will excuse you to want to deal with them. No judge will force you or say you are discriminating when you try to protect your belongings.

You probably get a pad on the back! Common sense!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
think suze orman

DENIED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting