Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:26 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megajeff View Post
I just got this one yesterday. It reeks of scam. What do you think?
Hello, I am looking to rent soon and i think its fair to let you know about me, My name's Andrea Smithson, 27y/o single female, easygoing and fun to be around. I don't smoke, drink nor do drugs. I clean up after myself, as well as my environment, I am respectful of other people's privacy and opinions. I am pet friendly but do not own any. I'm from Rapid City, S.Dakota and the reason behind my move is simply because of change. And this is about time as i just lost my mother to cancer (I have been putting off my move just because she's been sick for long). I have been wanting to try a new place, have new experience, and most importantly achieve my goals. I am a travel Nurse by profession, but teaching yoga is what i love doing, I have broad knowledge of yoga/wellness as i had the opportunity to learn that in India 3 years ago and i have been teaching people here too. I am a christian, and yoga to me is about the purity of the body and mind/improving health and I will never bring it home if you object to it. About rent, I have money saved up, so you wouldn't have to worry about me paying rent/bills on time till i get settled. I plan making my own yoga video and I also will be looking to rent a space in the area(or maybe gym) when i move, as i planned giving yoga classes to people there when i move. I am financially reliable and it has been a plus making money from teaching yoga as a lot of people look after themselves now in an easy way. I will like to find a place before i start looking around for something physical/permanent at hospitals there too. I choose to tell you all about me as i need no drama, so please email me back if you are looking to rent ASAP and let me know if i am someone you'd like to rent to. I will provide my number, pics as long as i am sure that you'd be renting to me in next emails. Thanks for your time and i await your next email with details.

Andrea
Where's the scam part? It's hard to read, but I don't see them saying that they can't afford the rent or need to move in for free etc. If someone wanted to scam you why would they add so much weird info?

Do you think they are testing you to see if you rent to crazy people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 07:41 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Where's the scam part? It's hard to read, but I don't see them saying that they can't afford the rent or need to move in for free etc. If someone wanted to scam you why would they add so much weird info?

Do you think they are testing you to see if you rent to crazy people?
IT IS A SCAM

If you wish to be so GULLIBLE and continue to think it's not ... naïve people like you are the exact people who fall victims to the scam

GEESH !! a few people here CONFIRMED with 100% certainty it is a SCAM ... and you still choose to think its maybe not ?

Sadly I am not amazed or surprised. After lurking here and reading some of the posts in the RE section over the past couple years ... I am firmly convinced that stupidity has no limits nor boundaries.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
IT IS A SCAM

If you wish to be so GULLIBLE and continue to think it's not ... naïve people like you are the exact people who fall victims to the scam

GEESH !! a few people here CONFIRMED with 100% certainty it is a SCAM ... and you still choose to think its maybe not ?

Sadly I am not amazed or surprised. After lurking here and reading some of the posts in the RE section over the past couple years ... I am firmly convinced that stupidity has no limits nor boundaries.
No-one here can confirm or deny that this email (from 'Andrea') is a scam...maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but not one person here can confirm with 100% certainty that it is indeed a scam.

Bottom line is simple: if it sounds too good to be true, don't respond to it, delete it.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
IT IS A SCAM

Again what is the scam? Did she ask for money? Nothing in that email is in any way trying to scam the person. They say they want to let them know about themselves beforehand so there is no drama. They don't want a bad LL and are telling the person they are a good candidate.

It might be a scam in the future, but nothing at all in the email suggests a scam.

They didn't say they didn't have money and will pay laters

They didn't ask the person to wire them money in Africa.

There is not scam, poorly educated people see a scam where there is no proof of one.

She even says she's a traveling nurse. All anyone with an ounce of common sense has to do to ask for proof. She even lists her name, you think a person renting to her wont ask for her license?

The person who posted that should not even put up her full name.

So answer this one question> What is the scam?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Last year when I was in the process of buying my current house, I was planning to rent out my old house. I was 99% sure about who I was going to rent to, but just so I'd have proof of making an effort to rent it before the lease was actually signed, I advertised the house through my college's housing office. Within 24 hours, I got a puzzling email that asked questions about things -- like the monthly rent -- that were in the listing. That first email, though, was very short. I emailed back with the details from the listing, and then I got the second email, which made it very clear that the guy was trying some scam. It was VERY similar to the email the OP posted above.

I think I wrote him back saying the FBI was coming to get him and would kill him on sight. Yeah, yeah, I know, that's kind of drastic, but I hate scammers. Needless to say I never heard from him again. (And only my first name and a "generic" email address were in my listing, so he couldn't really trace me, at least not easily.)

I rented my house to the people I had thought I would, so it all worked out.

Hands up don't shoot!

Old 10-18-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvc View Post
I also posted with Craigslist and received a number of scammers seeking to rent. I too have a room for rent.

I have a townhouse condo that I wish to share with a tenant. The bedroom with semi-private bath is still available. The location is very convenient and I live near Sinai Hospital. Ideally, I'd love to share with a resident at Sinai, student or anyone suitably interested. Accommodations include all utilities, central air, cable, private garaged parking space, courtyard, tennis courts, and pool. I am inquiring if anyone knows of a legitimate website to post my listing or if anyone is seriously interested. References are required and will be checked.
You need to post in the state and local forum you are in or in the classifieds here.

There are so many people here from all over the country that odds are you will not find someone in this renting forum looking for a place in your neighborhood

Old 10-18-2016, 06:50 AM

People who can't differentiate a scam vs something that may not be should not be posting on Craigslist.

When I was looking for a place I checked the listings, some would only say email so I wrote back all the good things about myself, such as great credit, no criminal history etc. There was no scam.

If someone replies and asks yow how much the rent is you don't respond because if they are too stupid to see that it's listed in the ad, they can't rent from you. If someone offers too much info they may be manic depressive which is not a scam but something you need to be alerted to.

A scam will ask for favors, or tell you they can't come up with the first month's rent or security deposit and give you a sob story about it.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:55 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
and no paragraphs scammers hate paragraphs.
I guess many CD posters are scammers then I wouldn't automatically assume this person is a scammer just based on sharing tons of information. And it's strange information too. Many people have strange lives. Probe more, insist on real phone calls with the person and a face-to-face meeting in a public place. If the person stonewalls you or makes excuses, you have your answer.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I guess many CD posters are scammers then .
People without a sense of humor don't get that the paragraph thing was a joke.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:43 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,943 times
If you have a couple of hours to kill, or need convincing of the large number and variety of scammers on Craigslist, take a look at https://craigslistpostingsecrets.wor.../pay-pal-scam/

The person who runs this blog is very knowledgeable and helpful -- and the pathetic and evil attempts of the scammers are very entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting