Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM

6 posts, read 22,076 times

Advertisements

Would any landlord rent to me? This is my history:

1. I am single and mature (in my 40's) and plan to go back to graduate school. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or have pets. No guests, ever.

2. I have no job.

3. I have bad credit, including an open bankruptcy (not my fault). Credit score is in the low 600's. But I have no credit cards, auto loans, or mortgages to weigh me down!

4. I have three evictions, including one right now for non-payment of rent. My trial date is next month. They were all not my fault. Also, a landlord got a restraining order to effectively evict me once, but this was not a technical eviction. The good news is two of the three evictions were from the 90's.

5. I have a history of damaging previous rentals, including the current one. (I have anger issues.)

6. I have no references, either from previous landlords or personal.

7. I have a previous criminal history (not major, but 11 minor misdemeanor convictions for theft, mostly in the 90's). But since this is from out-of-state, this does not usually show up on any background checks.

8. On the good side, I do have about $8,000 in savings and get Social Security each month of about $800. Thus, I have a stable income. So I am stable, like a Section 8 tenant.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I need to find a place fast. All the public housing and Section 8 waiting lists are either closed or there is a 4-10 year wait. And I have no family help or help from friends.

Thanks.

EDIT 1:
Also, would it help if I went homeless for a while and slept in my car? Then I could claim I am homeless to any landlord and not have to give him my landlord's contact info. Do landlords look down on prospective tenants who are homeless?

EDIT 2:
And, I may surrender possession of the property on the unlawful detainer rial date to avoid having a judgment go on my record, so it will look like I have no previous unlawful detainers to prospective landlords!

Last edited by kz850kz; 02-26-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
My biggest issue would be your refusal to take responsibility for your history of non-payment of rent and damaging someone else's property.

To be more clear: that you did so may be excusable. That you rush to say "but it's not my fault" is a giant red flag.

I would not rent to you because of this.

(Eleven convictions for theft in a ten year period??! I am sympathetic to mental illness but this would stretch my credulity. Most people manage to live fo0r 60-80 decades without a single conviction for theft.)

Sorry. Would absolutely not rent to you. In fact, would probably not let you mow my front lawn for $5.00. You seem like a hysterically poor risk for just about anything.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM

Well, thanks, but I still need a place to rent shortly, since I am being evicted. I don't know what to do.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz850kz View Post
Would any landlord rent to me? This is my history:

1. I am single and mature (in my 40's) and plan to go back to graduate school. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or have pets. No guests, ever.

2. I have no job.

3. I have bad credit, including an open bankruptcy (not my fault). Credit score is in the low 600's. But I have no credit cards, auto loans, or mortgages to weigh me down!

4. I have three evictions, including one right now for non-payment of rent. My trial date is next month. They were all not my fault. Also, a landlord got a restraining order to effectively evict me once, but this was not a technical eviction. The good news is two of the three evictions were from the 90's.

5. I have a history of damaging previous rentals, including the current one. (I have anger issues.)

6. I have no references, either from previous landlords or personal.

7. I have a previous criminal history (not major, but 11 minor misdemeanor convictions for theft, mostly in the 90's). But since this is from out-of-state, this does not usually show up on any background checks.

8. On the good side, I do have about $8,000 in savings and get Social Security each month of about $800. Thus, I have a stable income. So I am stable, like a Section 8 tenant.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I need to find a place fast. All the public housing and Section 8 waiting lists are either closed or there is a 4-10 year wait. And I have no family help or help from friends.

Thanks.

EDIT 1:
Also, would it help if I went homeless for a while and slept in my car? Then I could claim I am homeless to any landlord and not have to give him my landlord's contact info. Do landlords look down on prospective tenants who are homeless?

EDIT 2:
And, I may surrender possession of the property on the unlawful detainer rial date to avoid having a judgment go on my record, so it will look like I have no previous unlawful detainers to prospective landlords!
This is clearly a troll post.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 AM

You're wrong. Feel free to try again though.

Last edited by kz850kz; 02-27-2013 at 12:16 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,430 times
Look into single residency occupancy hotels in the Tenderloin district. If you're real, that's about the best suggestion I have unless you can find a sucker that will rent you a room and not ask you any questions.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 AM

Thanks, but there is no way I live in an SRO room in that place--the worst area of SF That's too scummy for me. I lead more of a suburban lifestyle. And I require off-street parking.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 AM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
If your income is so stable then why are you currently being evicted for non-payment of rent? Plus your $800/month would barely cover rent and utilities, even in an affordable area of SF. I would not rent to you even without all the other issues because I would not be confident you could pay your rent and still have enough to live on. Maybe if you lived in the ghetto or boonies and rent was super cheap....

Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Thanks, but there is no way I live in an SRO room in that place--the worst area of SF That's too scummy for me. I lead more of a suburban lifestyle. And I require off-street parking.

Who cares what you require??!! At this point you're a deadbeat and can't afford to be picky about where you lay your head. No decent landlord, and probably not even most slumlords would rent to you with history like that.

You're only option at this point is a hotel..they don't need a court hearing to evict you, just a police officer.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
4. I have three evictions, including one right now for non-payment of rent.

8. On the good side, I do have about $8,000 in savings and get Social Security each month of about $800. Thus, I have a stable income.
There is a most foul odor coming from underneath the bridge ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting