Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 03:46 AM

2 posts, read 21,457 times

Advertisements

Still in a 1 year lease and I've contacted the landlord about a few things that aren't working around the apartment. I received a response not too long ago that made it seem like WE were ANNOYING with the ''complaints''. Sort of like a ''back off'' comment. Problem is we only contact the landlord when we need to, and rent is always on time. This really angered me. Is the landlord NOT required to help us? The things that are not working properly are things that are used everyday (appliance, water, etc).

Most likely will be moving after the lease is up but can the landlord leave negative comments if they are contacted by future landlords/management?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static- View Post
I've contacted the landlord about a few things that aren't working around the apartment.
What does "contacted" mean?

Is that in writing?
Mailed to the legal address described in the lease?
Do they ask for specific remedies?
Do they describe time frames for those remedies to be effected?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 AM

912 posts, read 5,236,705 times
Quote:
Is the landlord NOT required to help us? The things that are not working properly are things that are used everyday (appliance, water, etc).
The landlord should be fixing these problems, but better check your lease to see what it says regarding maintenance and repairs. Also look at your state's Landlord's & Tenant's laws as more information can be found there. Bottom line, you need to stop emailing/txting/calling your landlord, from now on ONLY communicate with them via certified mail.
Also, don't even consider withholding rent due to lack of repairs unless you do it properly, via the courts. If you stop paying it basically automatically puts the fault on you, and you'll be evicted asap.

Quote:
Most likely will be moving after the lease is up but can the landlord leave negative comments if they are contacted by future landlords/management?
Absolutely, 100% they are within their right to do so, so long as the they state the facts truthfully.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM

32,480 posts, read 47,415,214 times
I'll start by saying that any landlord who does not take good care of his good tenants is a fool. However:

Put all requests in writing. Do not ask for cosmetic repairs. Check your lease to make sure that you are not required to do the first $XXX dollars worth of repairs yourself.

If the defects reduce livability to a huge degree, then you can go to the housing courts and escrow your rent until the repairs are done. I suggest that you do not do that unless the defect makes the unit unlivable and the landlord has ignored repeated requests. Never try it on your own without the court's participation.

Don't expect the landlord to repair damage that you have done yourself. If the toilet won't flush, 99% of the time it is because of something the tenant has put down the toilet. That's not the landlord's responsibility to fix. If the window blind is broken, then the tenant broke it and it is not the landlord's responsibility to fix it.

If it is a very small repair and the landlord won't fix it, see if you can fix it yourself. Something like a running toilet might take 3 seconds to fix and cost nothing. Tenants should be capable of tightening screws and flipping breakers by themselves.

Any time a tenant rents a place with very low rent, they are going to get low cost service and should not expect to get anything more than that.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,380,777 times
Your rental agreement plus applicable law outlines the responsibilities of each party.

Habitability as defined by code in my State must be addressed promptly.

Services and amenities specified in the lease are binding and if not provided may constitute a breach.

Other items are often left to discretion...

"Things not working" covers a lot of territory...

I still remember getting calls from a tenant years ago saying the home had faulty electric because she was always replacing light bulbs... she was buying 8 pack bulbs at the 99 cent store...

Others have called with drain problems and almost 100% of the time the problem was caused by the resident or resident's guest...

I no longer have any applicance issues because I no longer supply appliances and this one decision eliminated 50% of my service calls...

Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 AM

2 posts, read 21,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What does "contacted" mean?

Is that in writing?
Mailed to the legal address described in the lease?
Do they ask for specific remedies?
Do they describe time frames for those remedies to be effected?
Contact through text/e-mail.

And switching to certified mail will prolong repairs won't it? Is e-mail not sufficient enough for records? I have saved all text conversations just incase though if it means anything.

And if I do decide to write a letter (which I probably will if I move out) it will be through certified mail and typed up and professional looking correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post

Absolutely, 100% they are within their right to do so, so long as the they state the facts truthfully.
Ok, but this can't damage my credit score correct?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,415,214 times
Emails are not going to do it for you. Emails don't always get delived by the system, so you have no proof that the landlord was notified. Many people do not text, so sending a text does not guarantee that your request for repairs was ever received.

Sit down and put words on paper and put it in an envelope and place a stamp on it and send it to the landlord through the mail. I would not pay for cetified mail unless a couple of written requests were ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting