Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 21,985 times

Advertisements

So I currently live with the worst roommate I have ever had and my lease is up in July. I can only afford $800-900 on my own and that is stretching it. Most apartments inside the loop for that much make me uncomfortable.
Therefore, I would like another roommate. I have tried asking friends but most live alone and I know it's a big early in the game to look. How easy is it to find one via a roommate website, etc? I see alot of posts but I am worried that I won't have many options that pan out. I dont want it to be the end of June and I'm screwed. Also, any other tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,771,188 times
Craigs list and word of mouth.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,423,125 times
There are so many reasons why it's a bad idea to have a roommate. In your case, if you have no other choice, and if you're quiet, clean, work outside the home, and don't have overnight guests, then I'd look into renting a room or Mother in Law quarters from a someone that own's a Single Family Home. There will be far less financial risk this way!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
Are you a college grad? You can ask the alumni office if they have postings of students looking for roommates. Grad students are usually pretty serious.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,401,996 times
finding one? easy as hell
finding a good one? .....cross your fingers!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,423,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
finding one? easy as hell
finding a good one? .....cross your fingers!
^^^
A quick scanning of the threads in this forum should give you an idea of the endless problems it can create. If you choose a month to month arrangement and rent directly from an owner you will limit your financial exposure, and be in a position to move within a reasonable time frame. You can still end up with someone you hate living with though, so proceed with caution. AND absolutely run a property records check and make sure they're property isn't going to be foreclosed upon in the next few months.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM

32,482 posts, read 47,425,133 times
According to the ads on Craigslist, they are all good roommates: fun-loving, considerate, clean, quiet, and easy to get along with.

You have time, so you might try posting ads on the bulletin boards of businesses who might have decent people working there. Hospitals in the nurse's lounge. The college housing office, if you are very young. The teacher's lounge at the local elementary school. Or even a local factory; at least the people in the lunch room there have a paycheck. The break room at the local grocery stores.

Also, check with your local hospital and see if they have a visiting nurses program. If they do, you can tap into a steady stream of nurses who will be there for about 4 months. More turnover, but they have good salaries and they are working hard, so don't have the energy to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting