Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM

32,482 posts, read 47,415,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatique06 View Post
t I still should have been given the chance to do so (it would have cost $5.99 vs the $240 she paid for a professional).

I will not allow my tenants to do repairs or paint because they don't know how to do a proper job.

And absolutely no, you could not repair 6 holes in a wall for $5.99, so very obviously OP does not know how to properly repair a wall.

OP, next time, save yourself some grief and do not put holes into walls or install unauthorized shelves. Technically, and legally, the second that those shelves were attached to the wall, they became the property of the landlord. So cross your fingers and hope he doesn't think of that, because I think you owe even more money.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 108,705 times
I've attached pics of the holes with my hand for scale. There are 6 of these in the wall.

Quote:
Per the lease can she enter your bedroom without notice?
It doesn't say either way. But CA law at least prohibits the landlord from unauthorized visits except in emergencies and all visits require a 24 written notice with purpose of visit.

Quote:
Next issue is if you have it written the lease to allow you to make repairs.
It's not stated in my lease whether or not I can make repairs. But it doesn't explicitly say no.

Quote:
why did it cost so much anyway? did they repaint after patching?
I have no idea! My LL was having the painter come in anyway to touch up places where my roommate and I scuffed the walls, and we weren't charged for that, plus the painter is apparently an old family friend who's been painting their home for years and this was a "super cheap price" for the "giant" holes I ripped in the walls that "tore the sheet rock off" (please see attached pictures for the actual hole sizes).

I've seen estimates in the $200+ that included the cost of the painter's visit, but since he was already there painting, that shouldn't be included right?

Quote:
No way should she have wandered through the place without proper notice.
The is probably why I'm so irritated by the situation. My LL (actually my LL's retired mother who lives down the street) came into the place CONSTANTLY: to pick up her daughter's mail, to get rent checks, to sell items of hers once the house was sold (my mother was visiting me and one day she called me at work saying the LL's mom just walked in with several people. She was trying to sell them items from the home. I had gotten no warning of this prior). And one evening I was driving in to the parking lot and saw her driving out. I entered my apartment to find the lights on and the microwave taken out. It was her microwave but would it have hurt to send me an email beforehand?

And those are just the times I have evidence of. Who knows how often she's entered the apartment while I was at work, and wandered throughout the place. I'm certain it was on a weekly basis.

Quote:
However, if the tenant had fixed them before you inspected and it was an acceptable job, you would have no complaint.

You don't actually know how many things may have been fixed without you knowing during a tenancy.
Exactly. Tenants do all kinds of things to the property while they live there, on purpose and by accident. I've never left a place in anything but perfect condition, and always assumed that it only mattered what damages were left between the initial inspection and the final one. I was caught off guard with the selling of the home because my lease was still active when she did her inspection (that she didn't inform me of)

Quote:
And absolutely no, you could not repair 6 holes in a wall for $5.99, so very obviously OP does not know how to properly repair a wall.
Wrong. I do actually, but thanks for trying. I just repaired 10 screw holes in a neighbor's wall and the LL noticed nothing. $4.99 tub of spackle, a $1 putty knife, fine grit sand paper that I already owned, and the exact paint match that was already in the garage. Perfect wall. Undetectable.

I know tenants can mess things up, but we're not total idiots. Filling nail holes doesn't require a PhD in spackle-ology...

Anyway I appreciate everyone's input.
Attached Thumbnails
Landlord found holes in my wall, repaired them before lease with up-1.jpg   Landlord found holes in my wall, repaired them before lease with up-2.jpg  

Old 03-16-2013, 03:48 PM

912 posts, read 5,236,705 times
$240 does seem a little excessive for those holes...

until you realize that the texture on the wall makes "just" filling them up and sanding not the proper way to fix. That way you end up with bigger, smoother circles, that really stand up against the wall's texture.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM

118 posts, read 884,870 times
well, lesson learned.

I have seen many leases that do not charge for holes even that size.

next time you need to ask what the policy is regarding holes in the wall.

In my own rental, I don't really care about small holes. If there aren't too many, I wouldn't charge to fix.

These pencil holes are not hard to fix even with the texture, and I don't doubt the OP would know how to patch it.
Such small holes would not stand out if you sponge off excess spackling before it dries.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 PM

18,357 posts, read 31,432,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Ask for a receipt. If the holes were really 6 pencil-sized ones, why is the charge $240?
thats what i want to know, how hard is it to put some plaster into a hole, then the next day sand it smooth.

seriously 240 dollars, how big was the hole, did it require drywall to be put behind?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM

18,357 posts, read 31,432,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatique06 View Post
I've attached pics of the holes with my hand for scale. There are 6 of these in the wall.

It doesn't say either way. But CA law at least prohibits the landlord from unauthorized visits except in emergencies and all visits require a 24 written notice with purpose of visit.

It's not stated in my lease whether or not I can make repairs. But it doesn't explicitly say no.

I have no idea! My LL was having the painter come in anyway to touch up places where my roommate and I scuffed the walls, and we weren't charged for that, plus the painter is apparently an old family friend who's been painting their home for years and this was a "super cheap price" for the "giant" holes I ripped in the walls that "tore the sheet rock off" (please see attached pictures for the actual hole sizes).

I've seen estimates in the $200+ that included the cost of the painter's visit, but since he was already there painting, that shouldn't be included right?

The is probably why I'm so irritated by the situation. My LL (actually my LL's retired mother who lives down the street) came into the place CONSTANTLY: to pick up her daughter's mail, to get rent checks, to sell items of hers once the house was sold (my mother was visiting me and one day she called me at work saying the LL's mom just walked in with several people. She was trying to sell them items from the home. I had gotten no warning of this prior). And one evening I was driving in to the parking lot and saw her driving out. I entered my apartment to find the lights on and the microwave taken out. It was her microwave but would it have hurt to send me an email beforehand?

And those are just the times I have evidence of. Who knows how often she's entered the apartment while I was at work, and wandered throughout the place. I'm certain it was on a weekly basis.

Exactly. Tenants do all kinds of things to the property while they live there, on purpose and by accident. I've never left a place in anything but perfect condition, and always assumed that it only mattered what damages were left between the initial inspection and the final one. I was caught off guard with the selling of the home because my lease was still active when she did her inspection (that she didn't inform me of)

Wrong. I do actually, but thanks for trying. I just repaired 10 screw holes in a neighbor's wall and the LL noticed nothing. $4.99 tub of spackle, a $1 putty knife, fine grit sand paper that I already owned, and the exact paint match that was already in the garage. Perfect wall. Undetectable.

I know tenants can mess things up, but we're not total idiots. Filling nail holes doesn't require a PhD in spackle-ology...

Anyway I appreciate everyone's input.

those hole could have been fixed for under 5 bucks, your right, not all tenants are idiots, and there are tenants the do know how to do things.

quick dry plaster, in the holes, let dry overnight and sand, then re apply some more plaster and let dry overnight then sand.

what a laugh when I saw those holes, 240 dollars, are you kidding me?????that ll IS A REAL PIECE IF WORK.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 PM

31 posts, read 215,414 times
$240.00 for that? Yes, that's a joke, but you can't do much about this since it's not your property. What's done is done.

As for the LL entering your bedroom: you gave permission to enter the unit, so she did have a right to look around.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 108,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taissa View Post
$240.00 for that? Yes, that's a joke, but you can't do much about this since it's not your property. What's done is done.

As for the LL entering your bedroom: you gave permission to enter the unit, so she did have a right to look around.
Her coming to get the check and her wandering around the home were two different days (according to her). But even if they were on the same day, I think there's a difference between opening the front door and grabbing a check that's on the entry way counter (which I consented to) versus grabbing the check then walking up two flights of stairs and down to the end of a hallway, opening my (always closed) bedroom door and looking around inside.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:35 PM

118 posts, read 884,870 times
If i were you, i would buy a cheap nanny cam to monitor future landlords.

landlords are not supposed to snoop, though nothing is to stop them from lying and saying they thought there was an emergency.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 PM

15 posts, read 64,125 times
Yes most of the post here are from LL or slum lords - you all should be ashamed of yourself. Renters of the world its time to stand up to the shinanigans of the corrupt, unscrupulous, illegal actions of the hoard. Litigate the pants off them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting