Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:06 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
This is ridiculous I think I'd send one of those certified letters he loves and tell him to stop contacting you between 7 p.m. and 8 a.m. unless it is a dire emergency. (LL's generally do not have dire emergencies requiring calls to tenants- tenants do).

Meanwhile I think I'd find another place to live. This guy is creeping me out totally with the "meet me at a restaurant - don't mail your rent".
I have the letter written, but want to check a few more things before I send it. I am moving asap, and have been waiting to hear back on a short sale. The BPO has been done and I should hear any day. I was trying to avoid an extra move, and have frequently been staying with family.

I've put myself in a position for him to abuse his power, and now I'm paying for it. The dinners were admittedly a bad idea, but he is very, very pushy about it, and I really dislike conflict.

In a period of 6 days, he has contacted me via text or by phone on 5 of those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
I have the letter written, but want to check a few more things before I send it. I am moving asap, and have been waiting to hear back on a short sale. The BPO has been done and I should hear any day. I was trying to avoid an extra move, and have frequently been staying with family.

I've put myself in a position for him to abuse his power, and now I'm paying for it. The dinners were admittedly a bad idea, but he is very, very pushy about it, and I really dislike conflict.

In a period of 6 days, he has contacted me via text or by phone on 5 of those days.
Make sure you follow proper move out procedures...give proper notice, leave the place spotless, and do a walk thru that you have him sign off on.

Just a note about short sales...they can take months to close...and you can be in the middle of a 'closing' only to have the bank bail...so don't shoot yourself in the foot and move too quickly.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Make sure you follow proper move out procedures...give proper notice, leave the place spotless, and do a walk thru that you have him sign off on.

Just a note about short sales...they can take months to close...and you can be in the middle of a 'closing' only to have the bank bail...so don't shoot yourself in the foot and move too quickly.
Thank you.

It was scheduled for auction a few weeks ago, and I only received confirmation about 10 minutes before the auction time that an extension was granted. There is low inventory, but new listings are trickling in if I get a definitive no on this SS...

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Text is like email. You send it any time and the recipient picks it up and reads it at their convenience. So, I don't think there are any limits on what hour.

Phone calls, unless they are emergency should be at a decent hour. Between 9 AM and 9 PM is socially acceptible.

I have tenants who work nights and I have a note by their phone number in my directory about which hours to call them. (So I don't forget.)

Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
,............. but he is very, very pushy about it, and I really dislike conflict.........
OP, I seriously suggest that you get up every morning, stand in front of your bathroom mirror, and practice saying "No" in a firm polite manner. Your entire life will be a misery if you are not capable of saying no and meaning it.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,691,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Text is like email. You send it any time and the recipient picks it up and reads it at their convenience. So, I don't think there are any limits on what hour.
I'm not quite sure I agree with that. A lot of young people sleep with their cell phones by the bed (not me) and use them as alarm clocks or to be in reach for emergencies, so they're going to be disturbed by a text at any time. There are a lot of people now who have just cell phones and no land lines.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I'm not quite sure I agree with that. A lot of young people sleep with their cell phones by the bed (not me) and use them as alarm clocks or to be in reach for emergencies, so they're going to be disturbed by a text at any time. There are a lot of people now who have just cell phones and no land lines.
I'm not young, but all of the above applies to me.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, I seriously suggest that you get up every morning, stand in front of your bathroom mirror, and practice saying "No" in a firm polite manner. Your entire life will be a misery if you are not capable of saying no and meaning it.
I was very assertive prior to becoming disabled, afterwards I began letting things slide that didn't seem like that a big of a deal, in comparison to the very serious issues of my health. I admit, I let this situation get out of hand. Lesson learned.

I have way more of a problem with him treating me badly, than him nickle and diming me. One effects my health, the other is fairly insignificant.

I sent my last two payments by check, and I was firm that I had a right to do so. I don't see how a conversation will help at this point, when I know my rights, he knows I know my rights, and he doesn't care.

I can just pay him 1 week early, and at least some of the phone calls and texts should stop. (This is down from him insisting I pay 2 weeks early.) I have the money to do so, but I'm not comfortable with letting him bully me at this point. (My mother thinks it's not worth all the stress. But, after she heard his last Voicemail, she said he'll never pay me my deposit back and that I'll have to go to court to get it back.) What do you think Oregon, should I be a wimp temporarily or just say no in this case? Thank you, btw.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I contact my tenant when I know he is up getting ready for work....7:30-8ish am. Or after hours, 6-8 No later. To me later is rude unless it was an emergency.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
0317 as it will scare the crap out of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting