Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,418,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The question would not be whether or not it was a good idea but.....did it work?
I have my doubts.
I didn't hear a peep out of that apartment last night.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you don't know how to approach it, talk to your manager and tell them that. It's their job to deal with these types of issues.

If you approach the mom and tell her that her child is bothering you, you have no idea how she's going to react. She might be surprised that you can hear her child, she might be pissed and slam the door in your face, the child might be special needs and you're going to get an earful, who knows??

Leaving a note means you're a pansy ass and can't deal with people and doesn't do anyone any good...and it's not 'clever'.
I had a noisy neighbor living above me. Actually, it was his young son that would be slamming on the floor all evening. I took the approach of calling the apartment manager, as that's my style. Not sure if management did anything to address it with the neighbor, as it didn't really stop until he moved a few months later.

Anyway, didn't mean to touch on a sensitive topic. I should have known there'd be a lot of empathizing parents here.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM

461 posts, read 1,307,227 times
I have no issues with leaving notes, especially if people are on opposite work schedules. I have left notes regarding a neighbor's barking dog but have ALWAYS signed my name and cell # if they wished to discuss it further. I don't think they would have appreciated me knocking late at night or early morning to discuss a dog (or a kid). And in defense of passive-aggressive letter writers, I have literally seen a knock-down-drag-out fight between my neighbors. All because one lady attempted to calmly discuss an unruly child's behavior with her mother. The mother did not appreciate being approached and went literally nuts. She was arrested for assault. I've also seen property damage result from people complaining about other people's dogs. I would be worried about retaliation as well. Thank god i left that neighborhood!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,870,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I had a noisy neighbor living above me. Actually, it was his young son that would be slamming on the floor all evening. I took the approach of calling the apartment manager, as that's my style. Not sure if management did anything to address it with the neighbor, as it didn't really stop until he moved a few months later.

Anyway, didn't mean to touch on a sensitive topic. I should have known there'd be a lot of empathizing parents here.

the kid is allowed to play and if you can hear him playing, your issue with the lack of insulation, and not the child.

I doubt your manager did anything...they aren't breaking any rules..that's like telling someone they can't flush past 10pm or shower before 8am. insane. Kids will be kids and they will make noise...you can't stop them from playing, crying or just being kids...if you want to hear kids, move into and adult only place and deal with the 'big' kids.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
the kid is allowed to play and if you can hear him playing, your issue with the lack of insulation, and not the child.

I doubt your manager did anything...they aren't breaking any rules..that's like telling someone they can't flush past 10pm or shower before 8am. insane. Kids will be kids and they will make noise...you can't stop them from playing, crying or just being kids...if you want to hear kids, move into and adult only place and deal with the 'big' kids.
That is false. If the kid is being extraordinarily noisy, that's grounds for a noise complaint. We're not just talking about a giggling toddler here. We're talking about a kid jumping up and down making loud thuds throughout the evening. It is not my responsibility to deal with it. I'd have every right to call the police if I were concerned that something "violent" was happening up there.

The rules for apartment living are slightly different than if you're in your own house. You have to be considerate of your neighbors. Sorry to burst your bubble. Be a responsible parent and have control of your kids and this wouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
That is false. If the kid is being extraordinarily noisy, that's grounds for a noise complaint. We're not just talking about a giggling toddler here. We're talking about a kid jumpNoping up and down making loud thuds throughout the evening. It is not my responsibility to deal with it. I'd have every right to call the police if I were concerned that something "violent" was happening up there.

The rules for apartment living are slightly different than if you're in your own house. You have to be considerate of your neighbors. Sorry to burst your bubble. Be a responsible parent and have control of your kids and this wouldn't be an issue.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're wrong. 100% wrong.

The kid is playing. You can call your landlord/police and file a complaint, but they won't do a thing about a kid playing in his home during normal daylight hours. If fact, complain enough times and it's you that will be in hot water.

Again, if you don't like it...MOVE.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're wrong. 100% wrong.

The kid is playing. You can call your landlord/police and file a complaint, but they won't do a thing about a kid playing in his home during normal daylight hours. If fact, complain enough times and it's you that will be in hot water.

Again, if you don't like it...MOVE.
This was during the evenings, when I get home from work and look to relax. The kid's constant thumping on the floor above was a major distraction.

Who do you think the apartment manager would rather see leave? The person who pays their rent on time and doesn't disturb other tenants? Or the person who pays their rent on time but has someone living in the unit that is constantly disturbing the peace of other tenants? Guess what? It's gonna be the noisy neighbor 99% of the time. Because with me, the apartment manager doesn't have to worry about losing other tenants sooner than expected because of how noisy I am. It's basic business sense. Any one who would disagree with this common sense is an idiot and would likely not be successful in the apartment management business.

I'm guessing from your tone you must have experience with this. You have a loud, obnoxious kid that has gotten you into trouble with your landlord? Hmm? Sounds like you have a giant chip on your shoulder.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
This was during the evenings, when I get home from work and look to relax. The kid's constant thumping on the floor above was a major distraction.

Who do you think the apartment manager would rather see leave? The person who pays their rent on time and doesn't disturb other tenants? Or the person who pays their rent on time but has someone living in the unit that is constantly disturbing the peace of other tenants? Guess what? It's gonna be the noisy neighbor 99% of the time. Because with me, the apartment manager doesn't have to worry about losing other tenants sooner than expected because of how noisy I am. It's basic business sense. Any one who would disagree with this common sense is an idiot and would likely not be successful in the apartment management business.

I'm guessing from your tone you must have experience with this. You have a loud, obnoxious kid that has gotten you into trouble with your landlord? Hmm? Sounds like you have a giant chip on your shoulder.

LOLOL You couldn't be more wrong, about the children that is, if you tried.

I just happen to know the difference between 'daily living noise' and ' quite enjoyment'...the only time a noisy tenant is evicted/fined or 'written up' is when they are breaking the 'quiet enjoyment' rules ( of the complex) or laws ( of their city).

I suggest you learn the difference between 'daily living' noise and 'quiet enjoyment'.

As for who's gonna get kicked out first, a couple with kids or the whining boob below them.... Who is causing more issues for the landlord?? Hmmm...I'm gonna say that the landlord is going to get sick and tired of hearing the whiner drone on and on about how he can hear the kid play cars. So....keep whining to the landlord and see what happens.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
LOLOL You couldn't be more wrong, about the children that is, if you tried.

I just happen to know the difference between 'daily living noise' and ' quite enjoyment'...the only time a noisy tenant is evicted/fined or 'written up' is when they are breaking the 'quiet enjoyment' rules ( of the complex) or laws ( of their city).

I suggest you learn the difference between 'daily living' noise and 'quiet enjoyment'.

As for who's gonna get kicked out first, a couple with kids or the whining boob below them.... Who is causing more issues for the landlord?? Hmmm...I'm gonna say that the landlord is going to get sick and tired of hearing the whiner drone on and on about how he can hear the kid play cars. So....keep whining to the landlord and see what happens.
You haven't a clue what you're talking about. The 75 lb kid was jumping up and down throughout the evening. My apartment would shake from it. You don't think that qualifies under the "quiet enjoyment" rules you're speaking of? This wasn't a kid playing cars. This was a kid jumping off of things and shaking my apartment ceiling. It was very disturbing.

And your scenario makes little sense. A landlord's main concern is making $$$, not satisfying the obnoxious child disturbing his residents. If that noisy neighbor is going to cost the landlord tenants ($$$), sorry, but the noisy resident is going to go, not the person that's making the landlord richer by not causing a ruckus among the neighbors. This is nothing personal, this is business. I'm sorry you don't get it.

Last edited by Tekkie; 03-22-2013 at 05:46 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 PM

From my lease:

Lessee agrees not to permit, commit, or suffer any conduct disorderly or otherwise, noise, vibration, odor, or other nuisance whatsoever about the Premises, having a tendency to annoy or disturb others...

I think a kid jumping up and down, causing noise and vibrations, and having a tendency to annoy or disturb me falls under this category. Failure to comply would be a breach of contract and grounds for eviction.
Attached Thumbnails
Clever Way to Quiet a Noisy Neighbor-lease.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting