Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times

Advertisements

So I have a neighbor who has an obnoxious young daughter who screams loudly throughout the evening and late into the night. I was walking by their apartment today and I noticed something taped on their door. Now, I can't be sure, though it makes sense, but it appears that another neighbor printed out either a news story or some scientific journal entry titled something like "Why it's important for kids not to have late bedtimes". If it's what I think it is (another neighbor politely indicating that the child is disturbing the peace well into the evening), I think it's a brilliant tactic. There have been times where I would have reported the screaming and crying to building manager if I were a curmudgeon. Fortunately, I close my bedroom door and turn on the fan at night, which drowns out the screaming. But I can totally empathize with other neighbors who have to put up with the screaming.

Kudos to the neighbor who used this clever and polite way to notify the neighbors that their daughter was disturbing the peace.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,399 times
so do you or the jerk neighbor know if this child has issues like developmental, hope the 2 of you enjoy your perfect life and children for if this so called obnoxious child is in the autism spectrum or other developmental problems they are a ass. the parents do not need a fools letter

Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
so do you or the jerk neighbor know if this child has issues like developmental, hope the 2 of you enjoy your perfect life and children for if this so called obnoxious child is in the autism spectrum or other developmental problems they are a ass. the parents do not need a fools letter
For the record, I didn't put the letter up. But hey, autism or not, the parents have to figure this out. I pay rent for a place to live and I have the right not to be disturbed. So I can empathize with the neighbor who did this (assuming I'm not misreading the situation). Maybe the parents should think about getting a rental house or a trailer so they're not allowing the other patrons of the complex to be disturbed late into the night.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
How old is this child? Could this child be experiencing abuse? Have you spoken to the parents; observed the child?

Don't be so quick to brush off the situation as just an "obnoxious child". Nightly screaming for months is not normal or typical. If this is a baby who is teething or who has colic, crying for a few nights or even weeks with colic may be normal. What you describe isn't normal.

Please, for the child's sake, try to look into it a little more and see what the true situation is.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
How old is this child? Could this child be experiencing abuse? Have you spoken to the parents; observed the child?

Don't be so quick to brush off the situation as just an "obnoxious child". Nightly screaming for months is not normal or typical. If this is a baby who is teething or who has colic, crying for a few nights or even weeks with colic may be normal. What you describe isn't normal.

Please, for the child's sake, try to look into it a little more and see what the true situation is.
It's a possibility. I've only seen glimpses of the child, so I'm not aware of any superficial issues. I wouldn't even know how to approach the situation, as I'm usually in my apartment or at work.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 PM

31 posts, read 216,134 times
I hate passive aggressive forms of communication like that. It doesn't help the situation, it only fuels it. Apparently the person who left the article taped on the door doesn't have the courage to just talk to the people face to face.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taissa View Post
I hate passive aggressive forms of communication like that. It doesn't help the situation, it only fuels it. Apparently the person who left the article taped on the door doesn't have the courage to just talk to the people face to face.
I'll give you that. Although maybe it can be seen as less embarrassing as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
The question would not be whether or not it was a good idea but.....did it work?
I have my doubts.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
If you don't know how to approach it, talk to your manager and tell them that. It's their job to deal with these types of issues.

If you approach the mom and tell her that her child is bothering you, you have no idea how she's going to react. She might be surprised that you can hear her child, she might be pissed and slam the door in your face, the child might be special needs and you're going to get an earful, who knows??

Leaving a note means you're a pansy ass and can't deal with people and doesn't do anyone any good...and it's not 'clever'.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you don't know how to approach it, talk to your manager and tell them that. It's their job to deal with these types of issues.

If you approach the mom and tell her that her child is bothering you, you have no idea how she's going to react. She might be surprised that you can hear her child, she might be pissed and slam the door in your face, the child might be special needs and you're going to get an earful, who knows??

Leaving a note means you're a pansy ass and can't deal with people and doesn't do anyone any good...and it's not 'clever'.
Excellent posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting