Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:50 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times

Advertisements

Katie as a pup loved to chew on the rubber moldings...had to be replaced several times. Here in the new apt she has yet to touch them [hopefully shes out grown it!] Then she got sick & threw up all over the carpet!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:52 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,797 times
I'm moving tomorrow and found it difficult to rent with a cat. I have no problem paying a damage deposit for my cat, but I refuse to pay pet rent. That is nothing but a gimmick, pure and simple.

I found a place that wanted $500 for the cat deposit and $50 a month for the cat. I smiled and said, "When my cat gets a job and can afford your rent, we'll call you."

This robbery will continue as long as people continue to pay it. I found a place with a $400 cat deposit. 100% refundable. I look at it as a savings account.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I know in Georgia it is law that the carpet has to be changed between tenants, and painted, pets or no pets. that eliminates the your pet damaged the apartment excuse.
I've done several searches and have been unable to find any law or statute stating the carpet has to be changed between tenants and painted...

I found State of Georgia Landlord Tenant Law Official Code 44-7 silent on the subject... is there another place I should look?

City-Data strives to provide free and accurate Forums so unless anyone can cite statute or law I will continue to remain skeptical...

Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 PM

192 posts, read 857,760 times
Being one of those awful landlords let me tell why I have a no pet policy.
Tenant lived in home for about 1 yr, no problems. Had to go out for a meeting with a company for a new roof, guess what met me at the door a new 4 month old Springer Spaniel. The tenant denied it was her dog. I left sent her a letter to move or pay a $300 non refundable fee. She paid.

Last month she moved out, in a 2100 sq ft home there is not one floor that I do not have to replace, 7k is est cost (carpet and vinyl), 4 interior doors @ 30 ea and I must paint them to boot. A florida room that had vinyl windows will be $1000 to replace /repair, too many drywall repairs to mention. Molding and trim on 5 doors.
She is mad that she is not getting any of her deposit back. Are you kidding! She said well he is a puppy, no kidding and I'm not Rich.

So as you can see as nice and kind as we try to be it just costs too much. Plus the rent I lose while repairs are done and yes I do have payments to make on the rental home. I also own my own home have 3 cats and a dog all 6 yrs plus, they still do damage. If you want to have pets, invest in your own home.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 18,168 times
with all the places that charge so much money to own pets, that's why the SPCA is forever putting down unwanted dogs and cats! It should be against the law not to rent for people who gives out their homes for the animals so they don't get put down. I saved two dogs in the past ten years and man I couldn't have asked for better pets! Not all dogs pee every where either. If they are trained right they will let you know when they have to go to the bathroom. Evenone gets sick so why can't dogs and cats? It's not their fault when they don't feel good! There's good and bad in everything in life. The dogs and cats need homes and loves just like people.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 AM

Pink...I am Not mad at Katie!! But was using it to explain no matter how well trained dogs are they do get sick & accidents happen! I cleaned it up as soon as it happened...thankfully I was home so it did not get a chance to soak thru! Just wish the floor was not carpeted to begin with!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
I would never rent a place that allowed pets, because within minutes of looking at it i can tell a pets been their because of the smell, which is hard to get to go away.
I've had animals all my life and still would never RENT to someone with one. I agree an animal is a responsibility so you should pay the extra fees or save up to purchase something of your own.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 PM

You have animals then Not Pets....People smell just as bad!!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,112 times
I won't have cats or dogs. Dogs are destructive and cat **** is like no other. I know this from years of growing up with both animals. I can understand why landlords ask for special deposits. I am sure they would ask the same for small children if it weren't illegal.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM

22 posts, read 108,018 times
I have owned apartments and rental homes for over 35 years. Of course, I have had some bad tenants, but overall people usually take good care of the properties. I have had very good luck with accepting pets. Most tenants appreciate a landlord that allows pets (since so many do not). I take a $250 pet deposit and return it when the tenant leaves, providing there is no pet damange. In 35 years, I have refunded every deposit except 2. A pet does not usually ruin an entire apartment or home. A section of carpet or a section of chewed wood does not take thousands to replace. I have found pet owners to be clean, respectful and appreciative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting