U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-26-2007, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Loss Wages
1,310 posts, read 4,222,144 times
Reputation: 524
Default Pet Rent

I'm reading a lot of double fees for pets in addition to the pet rent now. What's up with that? Example: Pet deposit $250 refundable, then a $300 nonrefundable fee, and then $25 pet rent per month. What's with the $300 nonrefundable fee that is almost as much as the deposit? Isn't the deposit there for any damages? Why have a pet rent if you have all these fees?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2007, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 33,838 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I'm reading a lot of double fees for pets in addition to the pet rent now. What's up with that? Example: Pet deposit $250 refundable, then a $300 nonrefundable fee, and then $25 pet rent per month. What's with the $300 nonrefundable fee that is almost as much as the deposit? Isn't the deposit there for any damages? Why have a pet rent if you have all these fees?

Thanks!
Because apartment complexes have pet owners over a barrel and they know it.

Plus, some pets...not all...do significant damage to apartments. You're paying for those pets as well as yours.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Loss Wages
1,310 posts, read 4,222,144 times
Reputation: 524
Well, that sucks. And you can't protect yourself either huh?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 33,838 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Well, that sucks. And you can't protect yourself either huh?
Nope. Luckily the place I'm renting has a reasonable pet deposit and I was allowed to bring my three cats to live with me. I couldn't find any other place that would allow three cats. My pet deposit, which is 100% refundable, was $150 per cat. No pet rent. I don't live in an apartment though; I rent a privately-owned townhouse.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Loss Wages
1,310 posts, read 4,222,144 times
Reputation: 524
Default Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Nope. Luckily the place I'm renting has a reasonable pet deposit and I was allowed to bring my three cats to live with me. I couldn't find any other place that would allow three cats. My pet deposit, which is 100% refundable, was $150 per cat. No pet rent. I don't live in an apartment though; I rent a privately-owned townhouse.
Good for you! Ya, I noticed they usually don't allow more than two pets and that's really hard for someone who's a pet lover. At least I'm not the only one frustrated. Living is getting harder and harder for the average working person. Thanks for the input.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,465 posts, read 19,011 times
Reputation: 513
Sounds like my Landlord, I had to give a $500 pet deposit.. to a private owner.. I've rented in Fla in apartment complexes and the most I ever paid was $250 ..I think $500 is just INSANE.. I have tiny toy poodle less than 8 lbs and he's crated when I'm not home so he doesn't do damage.. I'm home all day so I know where and what he's doing at all times.. My landlord said he's giving me a "discount" only charging $500.... lol he said he feels thats way low... Crazy I tell ya
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 33,838 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Sounds like my Landlord, I had to give a $500 pet deposit.. to a private owner.. I've rented in Fla in apartment complexes and the most I ever paid was $250 ..I think $500 is just INSANE.. I have tiny toy poodle less than 8 lbs and he's crated when I'm not home so he doesn't do damage.. I'm home all day so I know where and what he's doing at all times.. My landlord said he's giving me a "discount" only charging $500.... lol he said he feels thats way low... Crazy I tell ya
Some apartment complexes in Dallas quoted me pet deposits of $400-$500 per pet and $20-$50 "pet rent" per pet per month.

It's shocking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Loss Wages
1,310 posts, read 4,222,144 times
Reputation: 524
That's got to be jeperdizing something of our rights. I just don't understand the whole thing. $500 for a pet? Good grief!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 33,838 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
That's got to be jeperdizing something of our rights. I just don't understand the whole thing. $500 for a pet? Good grief!
We're just scummy tenants, we only have the right to pay extortionate rents/deposits and not make a fuss, otherwise our slumlords might evict us.

I can't wait to be a homeowner again. Renting sucks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2007, 07:41 PM
 
2,654 posts, read 3,626,691 times
Reputation: 2491
I sold my home and am waiting for an opening in a 55+ community that does not charge for pets. I leased a townhouse where I had to pay a $500 nonrefundable deposit. If it were not for the retirement community I am heading for I would buy another house. This nonrefundable pet fee is nothing more than extortion. A lawyer told me I did not have to sign the lease. He is right, but what choice did I have. Perhaps a nice cozy place under a bridge for me and my dog. Where are the politicians on this issue?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top