Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,933 times

Advertisements

Hi, My PM said for tenant privacy policy he cannot give me a lease copy & application copy.Every month he come up with new repair I want to be in touch with my tenant to check if it is really needed or he is just fooling all the time. Last year I paid $2800 from my pock to change so many stuff in the unit & yesterday he emailed to change the washer & dyer ...PLEASE HELP ME ..ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM

511 posts, read 854,329 times
Now the scam spreads to the owner too I see? All too often probably more often than most owners even know about. Bottom line it's YOUR property, go around them, demand that you be able to contact the tenant, they have no such rights to block you from doing so..

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Get rid of the property manager

Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM

I just read my response again and realized that I may have sounded like I was accusing the OP of being a scammer and that was not my intention, I was referring to the property management companies playing both sides and scamming the owners too. Not ALL management companies mind you but it's hard to know who is and who isn't?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,513,513 times
The application and lease may have sensitive info on it such as the SS# of the tenant. I can see the PM's point. Since you SHOULD know the address of the rental, its yours right? Why don't you just send the tenant a letter if the PM does not want to give out the phone number? Ask them to contact you to discuss the needed repairs. Sound real nice about it, if the PM says they need a new W/D, say something like "I wanted to discuss your needs with you directly so I can make the best buying decision". Don't come off all accusatory to the tenant as they may not know at all what the PM is telling you.

Check your contract with the PM, you may have agreed not to have direct contact with the tenant.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Something is fishy. Normally either a washer or dryer breaks...not both.

Sure, some people decide to buy a new pair so the set matches. However, the owner usually makes this choice if they want to spend the extra money for a matching pair.

I guess you live far away from the property so cannot go there to inspect?

Does the property manager have a written bill from a repair shop that evaluated the washer/dryer? Normally they write on the bill the diagnosis/recommendation. The cost to repair is them evaluated versus buying a new unit. This decision is usually made by the owner also.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
The application and lease may have sensitive info on it such as the SS# of the tenant. I can see the PM's point. Since you SHOULD know the address of the rental, its yours right? Why don't you just send the tenant a letter if the PM does not want to give out the phone number? Ask them to contact you to discuss the needed repairs. Sound real nice about it, if the PM says they need a new W/D, say something like "I wanted to discuss your needs with you directly so I can make the best buying decision". Don't come off all accusatory to the tenant as they may not know at all what the PM is telling you.

Check your contract with the PM, you may have agreed not to have direct contact with the tenant.
As the owner of the property you have a right to know that info. If you rent without a management company you still have the right to ask for and receive that info regardless.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
The application and lease may have sensitive info on it such as the SS# of the tenant.
That's almost funny if it weren't so deluded.

You live in my property and the management company I use (I don't know who they hire to do crap-work, who knows who is temping and copying ss#s/CC#s down for their jerkoff thug boyfriends to steal) is more trustworthy than me? This is the entire point of this thread.

Quote:
I can see the PM's point. Since you SHOULD know the address of the rental, its yours right? Why don't you just send the tenant a letter if the PM does not want to give out the phone number? Ask them to contact you to discuss the needed repairs. Sound real nice about it, if the PM says they need a new W/D, say something like "I wanted to discuss your needs with you directly so I can make the best buying decision". Don't come off all accusatory to the tenant as they may not know at all what the PM is telling you.

You ain't a landlord...are you?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,513,513 times
I am a landlord. I do not hire a property manager. I do not know what contract the op signed and neither do any of you. I merely offered some maybes and a way to get around a property manager that probably should be fired, but in the meantime here is something to try. A bit more helpful to the op then simply making snide remarks to other people. Way to go with the derogatory comments. I'm sure it makes you all feel so special about yourselves.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 AM

Well I don't see your point in any sense. He/she's the owner, he has the rights and it shouldn't be such a problem if he/she's in the area, simply go by HIS/HER property and inspect it, if the tenant is there and concerned with an unannounced visit (which they really shouldn't be unless there is something suspicious) tell him the PM is behaving suspiciously and your considering a change and need to touch base with them directly. If he isn't close enough to do that himself he/she should see about a friend or neighbor who can get their contact info and do all of this without even speaking to the suspect PM as they're really irrelevant to the process if he so chooses. Is that good enough common sense info for the OP in your estimation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting